Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the third time in under 2 weeks I’ve got the “diesel exhaust fluid quality poor” message and the truck has gone into limp mode. No check engine light.

2018 ZR2 with 28k

First time I was out of town and took it to a dealership. They hooked it up and said there were no codes, forced a regen (and charged me $148) and it cleared. I was able to drive it home about 200 miles.

three days later it happened again on my way home from work. Brought to my local dealer they had it for 2 days. Checked exhaust system and everything checked out. Tested quality of DEF and it was good. Turned off warning. (Service record attached).

picked up my truck this morning and on my way home from work this evening the warning popped up again. Back to the dealership tomorrow.

anyone else having this issue?? Or know if anything I can ask the dealership to look at? Super frustrated.

thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
For me, it was needing a new nox sensor but I have mid17 and since, they’ve had three new part numbers. The new nox sensor totally changed how the engine runs and transmission shifts. It’s really surprising how beast it is now in comparison. My def usage rate is different now as well.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have heard DEF ages, so I've never put more than 2.5 gallons in at a time, which means I'm never above about 70% full--usually less than half full. I put on about 1,000 miles a month and it takes a long time (about five months) to use of that 2.5 gallons. If I put on fewer miles it would obviously be longer.

I would love to someday get a diesel motorhome, but I do have concerns about using enough DEF there if I didn't happen to be travelling much. I imagine though such a vehicle would use a lot more DEF when in operation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For me it was needing a new nox sensor but I have 17 and since they’ve had three new part numbers. The new nox sensor totally changed how the engine runs and transmission shifts. It’s really surprising how beast it is now in comparison. My def usage rate is different as well.
Did you have codes when the sensor was bad though?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Nicul15. Most likely a NOx sensor. Is your fuel mileage lower than you think it should be?
I haven’t noticed any difference in mileage, but I will keep an eye on that when I get my truck back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2018 ZR2 here as well.

I had two instances of poor DEF quality shutdowns within the first 12,000 miles; both times on road trips. Since road trips are what the truck is mainly used for it was pretty unacceptable to be worrying about being at best delayed and at worst stranded by some problem that didn't really exist so I got a tune that eliminates DEF.

I figured the odds of being stranded by a false poor DEF quality message were much greater than needing the warranty to cover some major engine issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had this issue 3 times, when new. Longgggg story, short, complete system replaced, minus the tank/heater assy.(nox sensors, nozzles, feed line(s), DPF can). Bungs on can, had cracks, nozzle was cracked also. Sensor(s) were not communicating with each other. Covered under 3/36 warranty, about $1500.00 worth of parts. Sucks, but all is GtG now, knock on wood:rolleyes:! Good luck. O.D.:cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
The important message is...if you’re getting these def messages and not on the latest nox sensor part numbers, you should consider upgrading as a first step. these are torque based systems...and it’s become apparent that the timing, fueling, boost, def usage rates, converter lockup, and shift points, def poor quality message are all used as part of the strategy when the nox sensors are going haywire to try to correct what’s not actually happening.

the truck leaving you and your family stranded on a dangerous highway for a false condition yay!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, apparently my truck will be ready for me to pick up this afternoon, with a new NOx sensor. I hope this works, but we shall see. I will update if anything else happens. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the third time in under 2 weeks I’ve got the “diesel exhaust fluid quality poor” message and the truck has gone into limp mode. No check engine light.

2018 ZR2 with 28k

First time I was out of town and took it to a dealership. They hooked it up and said there were no codes, forced a regen (and charged me $148) and it cleared. I was able to drive it home about 200 miles.

three days later it happened again on my way home from work. Brought to my local dealer they had it for 2 days. Checked exhaust system and everything checked out. Tested quality of DEF and it was good. Turned off warning. (Service record attached).

picked up my truck this morning and on my way home from work this evening the warning popped up again. Back to the dealership tomorrow.

anyone else having this issue?? Or know if anything I can ask the dealership to look at? Super frustrated.

thanks

View attachment 384840
Why did they charge you $148 if the truck was in limp mode and you're still in warranty?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did they charge you $148 if the truck was in limp mode and you're still in warranty?
They claimed forcing it to regen was not covered under the warranty. I was away from home and needed my truck so i just paid it, although it didn't seem right. The guy at the dealership blamed it on me not buying DEF from the chevy dealership parts counter.

I have not paid anything the last 2 times the truck was at the dealership back at home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They claimed forcing it to regen was not covered under the warranty. I was away from home and needed my truck so i just paid it, although it didn't seem right. The guy at the dealership blamed it on me not buying DEF from the chevy dealership parts counter.

I have not paid anything the last 2 times the truck was at the dealership back at home.
They seriously claimed that the problem was not buying DEF from the dealer? Does anybody actually do that? Since DEF has a shelf life, and I assume very, very few people buy DEF from the dealer, my guess is the stuff sitting in the Chevy dealer's parts department is way older than the stuff on the shelves at Walmart.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Holly crap! You got stuck. When mine first had the issue and went into "limp mode", I was outside of Moab, UT. and the Chevy./Buick dealer there, didn't charge me crap and they spent over an hour forcing a regen, clearing any codes. Prior to getting us back on the road, they topped-off my DEF. Waved and off we went, not a penny spent, except for trip interruption. Sorry your experience cost you. O.D.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just recently got P00E9 error. Whole DEF pump unit was ripped out and replaced. (1398 CDN pessos) Warranty covered it.

The heating unit in the Pump unit apparently sucks and causes burn out. (Cold weather_

1 - 16 of 16 Posts