Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 2011 Colorado LT, the previous owner had installed in-channel rain guards, louvers, deflectors, whatever else one might call them. I liked everything about them except for the fact that the window never seemed to seal completely, so there was the sound of air coming in constantly even with windows closed. Maybe they were cheap or old, I don’t know. So when I traded that one in on a 2017 Z71 I didn’t immediately go out and buy new deflectors. Now I’m thinking about adding them and looking for feedback, input and recommendations on specific brands anyone might have to help me make a decision on getting some that won’t have this air noise problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
EGR is what I had, work great, I remove them when sight seeing in the mountains and woods or out hunting

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Weathertech is the best, but a little pricey. They also have two shades to choose from. Look on their website.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
737 Posts
I’ve read a lot of reviews and know people that have Weathertech, so agree with 16WhiteColly on the Weathertech. I’m considering, but they no longer offer two shades of tint. I will most likely be purchasing after I tint front windows 20%.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've had AVS on for the past four years. I used some goo gone to remove the AVS logo, look much cleaner that way.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I agree with the Weathertech's I've had them on 2018 ZR2 and moved them over to my 2019 Bison and they have held up great and happy with their performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weathertech's are good, the '19 I bought came with them. I took them off just because I didn't like the look personally. DM me and they're yours for shipping cost only.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Back when I had the Weathertechs on my 2006 Sentra, they offered the dark tint and a light smoke tint, that light tint matched my light brown/silver car perfectly. I liked them because they were in channel, but went up underneath the mirrors. Held up until I traded in 2016 for my Colorado. The dark Weathertech tint may not be as dark as the AVS, which is real dark, almost black.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Do those things really work or just for looks? I've never tried them.
It was the new big rage in the 80's I remember that.

Reactions: pomarco

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
111 Posts
Do those things really work or just for looks? I've never tried them.
It was the new big rage in the 80's I remember that.
Yes. With the window(s) slightly open, they help vent the interior -which help A LOT when living in southern states. Here in Sarasota County, you must be sure to fully close the windows at night time or you'll have Cuban Treefrogs camping out on your steering wheel in the morning. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Yes. With the window(s) slightly open, they help vent the interior -which help A LOT when living in southern states. Here in Sarasota County, you must be sure to fully close the windows at night time or you'll have Cuban Treefrogs camping out on your steering wheel in the morning. Ask me how I know...
did you get your truck update?

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
111 Posts
did you get your truck update?
Yep. I do feel somewhat of a difference in how it shifts and the throttle seems to respond a bit better, but what I really noticed was that the idle no longer surges while waiting at a traffic signal. It still has a very minor surge here 'n there, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be.

The guy at the dealership looked at me like I was an alien when I showed him the .pdf printout with the update information. Said he never did one before in the 3 years that he was working there. Anyhow, he told me that he plugged it into the system, ran the update and brought it around for me to pick up. Nice people there!

·
Registered
2018 Ext cab, Base Model
11 Posts
When I purchased my 2011 Colorado LT, the previous owner had installed in-channel rain guards, louvers, deflectors, whatever else one might call them. I liked everything about them except for the fact that the window never seemed to seal completely, so there was the sound of air coming in constantly even with windows closed. Maybe they were cheap or old, I don’t know. So when I traded that one in on a 2017 Z71 I didn’t immediately go out and buy new deflectors. Now I’m thinking about adding them and looking for feedback, input and recommendations on specific brands anyone might have to help me make a decision on getting some that won’t have this air noise problem. Thanks. View attachment 409414
Yep. I do feel somewhat of a difference in how it shifts and the throttle seems to respond a bit better, but what I really noticed was that the idle no longer surges while waiting at a traffic signal. It still has a very minor surge here 'n there, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be.

The guy at the dealership looked at me like I was an alien when I showed him the .pdf printout with the update information. Said he never did one before in the 3 years that he was working there. Anyhow, he told me that he plugged it into the system, ran the update and brought it around for me to pick up. Nice people there!
I put the Weather Guard WeatherTech version on my 2018 about a year ago and I am very happy with them. Significantly cut down on wind noise with the windows open.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might look closer to try to identify the noise/air leak if you still have them (maybe pressure hose?). You might be able to easily correct this yourself. If not deformed or broken, might be able to buy tape, remove, and re-install.

I went with tinted Weathertech in channel rain guards and bug deflector for crew cab.
Rain Guards work fine and installed easily, I haven't installed the bug deflector yet.

3 deciding factor for me:
  • matching the rain guards with the bug deflector for color - decision was a balance between the 2
  • I like the low profile of Weathertech
  • I like the with and tint to shade a little more sunlight from the sides (doing a quick measurement, I think they cover 15+% of the window)

Color also goes by taste - you might shop around if you want to try to match your vehicle color closer, I think I saw some grey tints when I was looking.

With any of the common manufacturers, most common issues seem to be:
  • Installing properly - gotta go through thorough cleaning prep, watch the temps, and allow to set before operating window
  • Ordering the right ones for the model vehicle you have - lots of bad reviews look like someone ordered the wrong ones
  • Manufacturing defects or shipping damage - getting deformed

·
Registered
464 Posts
Weathertech is the best, but a little pricey. They also have two shades to choose from. Look on their website.
I use the WeatherTech's as well, very easy install and look great.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the AVS "in-channel" and have had trouble with them coming loose. I followed all of the directions installing them and still had to buy some new tape and redo a couple of them. My BIL bought Weathertech for his Honda Pilot and they fit nice and tight. If one of mine flies off somewhere, I plan to replace them with Weathertech.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the in-channel AVS on my Silverado.
They fit great and are solidly mounted.
But...sometimes, not always, if I hit the button for express up, the glass will top out and instead of stopping, it will return downward. I have to keep the button pressed until it stops. It defeats the purpose of express up.
I thought it had something to do with outside temperature, but it seems to be quite random.

I performed the reset procedure, but it didn't help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts