Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Colorado is a bit higher than anything i've owned in the past. stock ride height WT 4WD. I'd prefer to just buy something online if someone has a good recommendation? I'm covered with jack stands.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For the "best", I am a JEGS fan
Costco sells a nice one that may be a rebranded JEGS

If you have quality jack stands and don't want to spend $200-300, Craigslist/fb marketplace usually has lightly used hydraulic jacks for sale or there is always Harbor Freight's jacks which are cheap enough to replace when/if they break. Usually the parts in hydraulic jacks are universal and can be replaced when worn. Once again, if you're only lifting the vehicle onto good jack stands and you/nobody else is ever underneath it until resting on decent jack stands, HF hydraulic jacks are hard to beat $ wise. I also like my cast iron craftsman that came as a set with some light jack stands. Really most of the "middle" ground stuff is all the same in my experience with friends garages. Everyone drools over JEGS, or uses what they have until it breaks.

I do not recommend buying/owning HF jack stands. If you do, please check to ensure they're not recalled like a good deal of them are.

Just to cover all my bases here, if you do buy a floor jack that ends up having catastrophic failure while you are lifting the truck, it will land on the tires/wheels it was just resting on and be fine. Anytime you're under the truck on jack stands, you should also place a removed wheel/tire in a place under the frame to help save your life in case a jack stand experiences catastrophic failure. Then again, I shouldn't smoke cigars or drink good bourbon (and I do both) so I guess it's all about what you're willing to accept risk wise in your life.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
The newer Daytona jacks at Harbor Freight are really good. I do not recommend HF very often, but the Daytona jack is a good one. I have the 4 Ton.

Reactions: ARCowboy

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
762 Posts
Harbor freight does have alot of junk, but some things like floor jacks seem good for the $

After I take off a tire, I usually lay tire down and push underneath.
Backup.
When I don't I have another means for a secondary.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I use the extended length and reach Harbor Freight jack, In fact I have 2 now..😲 I still have a old HF 2 ton I bought 30 years ago and still work as it did from day one..Yeah I know I have a lot of jacks but they come in handy a lot..😉

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I too have a lot of old Craftsman Made in USA stuff from the old days that is still very good, but the new offshore made stuff sold through Lowes is really just junk. I would not buy a Craftsman floor jack today. I will have a look at the HF jacks, there is a store close by.

The jackstands i have are definitely solid units. Quite old, but surely overbuilt. I trust my life with them.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
What for a sale or super coupon if you buy from HF.

Yeah I have a cheaper craftsman and wouldn't trust that jack . In fact I will probably throw it out soon The dam thing drifts and getting worse.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
296 Posts
I have the tobin big red high lift floor jack. The lift extension works great on my lifted truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
HF will not let you use a coupon on the Daytona jacks, but I think I gave $159 for the 4 Ton. 3 Ton is usually about $129, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have the HF Daytona 3 ton low profile floor jack and am very happy with it. Needed a low profile one for the car. It seems as good as the other 3 ton floor jack I have that cost nearly three times as much.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
You can wait for there sale or at times there will be a coupon for there jacks. I got mine when the price went down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have an old orange Central Hydraulics 3 Ton jack that I bought from Harbor Freight in the 1990s. I've replaced the seals once and the rear casters. Still going strong!

·
Registered
2017 Canyon AT 4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,363 Posts
I have an old set of AC Delco brand jacks and stands from O'Reilly's that hasn't let anything down on me yet.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Then again, I shouldn't smoke cigars or drink good bourbon (and I do both) so I guess it's all about what you're willing to accept risk wise in your life.
That depends on what you call "good" cigars and whisky.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I completely endorse the use of adequate jack stands and wheel chalks. There is a pic here somewhere a guy has his Rado up on all four points with OE bottle jacks, just to paint his brake calipers.
OMG, don't be that guy.
Im a guy who like to do my own rotations and whatever else I can. A few years a go, I could sling a 3 Ton floor jack around like it was nothing. But today, its a lot harder and Im worn out just from the lifting and lowering process. I'm considering alternatives, some of which you might look at.

There is a 3.5 ton scissor jack by GM that is very strong. It came in the 1996-2002 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton Suburban, Express, Savana, K/C1500, K/C2500, K/C3500 and Gen 1 HUMMER. One GM Part number I know of is 1571-5517.
These jacks, although should be used in conjunction with stands, are about as robust as you will find. I will add that on the side of the road, are FAR better than the CRAP BOTTLE JACK WE HAVE.
So far, my plan is to get four of these, two HUMMERS for the fronts, two K/Cs for the rear and drill motor drive adapters for all.
A cautionary note, I don't know if all the scissor jacks of this type (1571-5517) are identical in height and rating.
Before you buy something to use for a flat, know the "flat tire height" under your axle, A-arm, frame, etc. A lot of heavy dooty stuff available for bigger trucks may not fit.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete
1 - 18 of 18 Posts