Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in an email from GM Card today. I like the dual usage of a mirror and a camera. The camera would be great going down the road in typical fashion. However, when towing my popup, the mirror itself provides a limited view over the top of the popup while the camera would give me an excellent view of my propane tanks.

NEW REAR CAMERA MIRROR FROM GM IMPROVES THE VIEW.

Combining a traditional rearview mirror and a rear-looking camera located in the rear of the vehicle, GM is giving drivers a wider, less-obstructed field of view while driving or changing lanes. By flipping from the traditional rearview mirror to a rear camera view via pulling a tab on the mirror, the driver can see the rear camera view in the mirror — a view that is unobstructed by rear-seat passengers, luggage, the vehicle roof or any blind spots. The Rear Camera Mirror is available on the 2017 Cadillac CT6, XT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, CTS and CTS-V vehicles, and the all-electric 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would imagine for that to work well it would have to be a higher mounted camera. Up near the roofline, on the top of the hatch for SUVs or with the third brake light assembly or something. I could definitely see the benefits if it was higher than where most backup cameras are now.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's great that you can flip between the mirror view and the camera view. There are many scenarios where the camera would not work well, and the mirror is still needed.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Old thread but I picked up the latest version of this camera mirror along with the shark fin integrated antenna and camera (the GM parts), and cable. Also a switch plate with the 3 Onstar buttons since that is not integral with the mirror. A quick look at the mount and the wiring diagram looks like it might be fairly straightforward.
Wondering if anyone else has tried this already? This is 4th on my winter (Canyon) project list.

·
Premium Member
2021 White DCLB Z71 Duramax, S&B, Provent 200, Kicker Sub and Main Amp, Decked, stubbyJr
173 Posts
Do you happen to have the part numbers? I've wanted this on my truck since my bolt had it. So nice not having to look through passengers

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Do you happen to have the part numbers? I've wanted this on my truck since my bolt had it. So nice not having to look through passengers
I have all the part numbers but I am not going to post them until I am certain it all works. It is an expensive upgrade and I don't want someone to waste a lot of money on something that for whatever reason does not work. Will keep you posted on this thread.

·
Premium Member
2021 White DCLB Z71 Duramax, S&B, Provent 200, Kicker Sub and Main Amp, Decked, stubbyJr
173 Posts
I appreciate you not wanting me to waste money.
However, I'd really like to just start my research on my own. You can PM me if your worried someone might waste money by swing this post.
If you would Be willing to share the part numbers, that'd be great. If not, I'll figure it out on my own. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I appreciate you not wanting me to waste money.
However, I'd really like to just start my research on my own. You can PM me if your worried someone might waste money by swing this post.
If you would Be willing to share the part numbers, that'd be great. If not, I'll figure it out on my own. Thanks in advance.
The parts I have and am hoping will work are:

13440111 Onstar call switch (I found the least expensive new in box was actually combined assembly 13422817) so search both part numbers
84719683 Antenna/Camera Assembly (sharkfin)
13536995 Mirror Assembly
Fakra Z M to F cable

Better option for camera might be the Camaro and Corvette camera which I believe is F Camera 84895800 | TascaParts.com

The shark fin/antenna/camera is fairly large

·
Premium Member
173 Posts

13440111 Onstar call switch (I found the least expensive new in box was actually combined assembly 13422817) so search both part numbers
13536995 Mirror Assembly
Fakra Z M to F cable

Better option for camera might be the Camaro and Corvette camera which I believe is F Camera 84895800 | TascaParts.com

Thank you so much for sharing the information. I really hope between the few of us on here we can get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Got the parts in hand but too much going on to do anything much until sometime in January. The mirror mount is identical so that is good, just remove the old mirror and slide the new one in place (thank you GM). The connector is even the same, although only uses 5 pins since no OnStar on the mirror. When I get to it I will be experimenting with some different locations for the camera/antenna unit, including how the wider angle and unobstructed view might be useful when towing. I wonder if CarryBosse got this option on his 2020 Silverado?

Helmet Chair Automotive mirror Camera accessory Bumper

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part

Pen Writing implement Bumper Wood Office supplies

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Fantastic! Those parts look real nice. Especially the shark fin camera. I had to get a stubby because my ladders would hit the factory antenna.

Great work and I'll hopefully have some contributions myself. Busy till January as well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

13536995 Mirror Assembly
Fakra Z M to F cable

In theory any fpd link camera should work…. Unfortunately only OEMs have these right now (at reasonable price). Basically any camera with the coax wire should be fpd link.

This is something I’ve been considering for awhile after I got my topper

·
Registered
234 Posts
Or one could just touch the camera icon on the upper row of your infotainment center and your backup camera will temporarily display, I think it’s for 5 or 10 seconds. Yes this does work, on 2018’s anyways.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Or one could just touch the camera icon on the upper row of your infotainment center and your backup camera will temporarily display, I think it’s for 5 or 10 seconds. Yes this does work, on 2018’s anyways.
Yup works same on my 2019 Colorado

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Not even close even with the new higher def cameras. The rear view mirror function with camera is far better. Try it in a vehicle that has it and you will see the major difference. Plus it is there all the time. Having to push a button for 10 seconds operation is pretty useless.

GM is offering this option in all the Silverados, Corvettes, Cadillacs, and even the Blazer so surprised it is not an option even with the Denali Canyon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the following rear view camera mirror installed. They have a new model, but I got this one for a lot cheaper, and it seems like the only difference is software. I really like it so far! I got it because I was having a GFC installed on my truck and my current mirror would be useless.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have the following rear view camera mirror installed. They have a new model, but I got this one for a lot cheaper, and it seems like the only difference is software. I really like it so far! I got it because I was having a GFC installed on my truck and my current mirror would be useless.

Looks pretty good and glad that it is working for you. Thought it was kind of funny that it says designed and assembled in Detroit but country of origin is China. So which is it? Or maybe both? Guess that is our usual state these days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks pretty good and glad that it is working for you. Thought it was kind of funny that it says designed and assembled in Detroit but country of origin is China. So which is it? Or maybe both? Guess that is our usual state these days.
Haha yeah I'm not sure! I got it for $180 though and it's been working great so far! I'm excited to see how the OEM versions work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I used that type rear view mirror/camera in a Cadillac. I liked the camera view during the day, but at night the mirror worked best.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts