Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any tips? I've read things about people using everything from WD-40 to blow torches...
I've done it a couple times and the best advice I can give is to simply be tenacious.

I ended up using heat, air chisels, all-thread homemade puller tools, impact gun, chisels, sledghammer, and other assorted hand tools.

It's one of those jobs I dread doing. Hell, it was tough enough to get the shackles off. I ended up cutting them off with a torch and a reciprocating saw.

I put a thin film of anti-seize on my new bushings to possibly help me the next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wolf, consider yourself lucky. Your rust looks surficial and easily taken care of. My 05 is a corroded mess. the frame and the leaf spring hanger in this area ,driver side rear,is in such bad shape I'm having a welder /fabricator build me a whole new hanger and frame from heavy square stock for this section of the frame. The truck has only 70 K miles on it with the body in good shape (galvanized body and truck cab from what I've read) so it's worth saving, I think. Nothing special about the truck, just the showroom condition. After much searching I've found a company in Sacramento, CA called Ruffstuff Specialties that has universal replacement weld -on hangers (sometimes called LS "mounts"). I live here in Southeast PA and with the wacky winter weather here, the townships and PennDOT have gone nuts with the salt in recent years. I' wondering if the heat from the exhaust pipes saved the passenger side hanger. Any way I thought I'd pass on the company name.
H

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry to hear about that... But if you're fabricating the hangers AND a new entire frame, make sure you get the fabricator to use bolt-on hangers instead of welding them onto the frame. That way, they're easily replaced if you ever have to do anything with them again in the future. Over here, I got a quote for about $3k for a brand new frame swap. The other option was to have a local spring and alignment shop fabricate new spring hangers for around $700.xx, which I'm going to do at some point before I do anything crazy like a frame swap. I'm going to be swapping the engine well before I do the frame at those kinds of rates.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts