Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Colorado 2WD and I noticed today when messing around under the truck that the hangers for the springs (which are welded to the frame) look pretty rusty. (The following is an image of the rear driver's side.)

The passenger's side is at this stage of rust, too, and I've sent these images to a local shop asking if they think it's time to get them replaced and if so, how much. I haven't heard back from them yet but to me, they look like they might last about 1 or 2 more years before breaking apart and potentially causing a major accident. They both have a normal amount of scaling and I can't see a single ounce of play in them when moving or pushing the suspension up an down, so I hope I'm right. Regardless, I'm betting it would be at least a $1,000+ job to repair as I'm thinking the shop will come back saying it will need to be sub-contracted out from their place due to the welding it involves with the frame, which I'm not looking forward to. (I think they handle welding through an outside contractor.)

What do you guys think would be involved with this? Both labor and cost-wise? Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm thinking?

Any insight into this would be appreciated and apologies in advance if this was put in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I guess you can buy the hanger mounts and would need new bolts and bushings, plus the shackels , maybe 2-3 hours labor as they have to grind off the welds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Hunter.

Before I answer that, let me make sure that the thing I'm referring to is clearly outlined. The following outline is what I'm referring to as a spring hanger:

That thing, is definitely welded unless I missed something. I'll do another check tomorrow to make sure (it's too late now and I won't be able to check again until sometime around noon tomorrow). I didn't see any bolts around it, assuming nothing is rusted beyond recognition--which, as rusty as it is, I don't think it's THAT bad. I'll try to update this thread tomorrow with a clearer image but I'm pretty certain it's welded, just hard to tell due to the rust.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Yes the hanger is welded... hard to say how bad it is with just a picture. As far as repair it shouldn't be too involved. Lifting it up by the frame till the suspension is at full droop and unbolting the shackles from the hangers... that may be the hardest part, getting the shackle bolts out.

But like I said it's hard to tell from the pic... you may get in there and realize maybe more of the frame should be replaced

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Greg, I'll see what the shop has to say about it as I think I'm going to swing in sometime on Wednesday to let them look at it in person. If I can hold off until sometime next spring or summer, I think everything will be okay. They should be able to determine that after they see it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How much did they quote you? I just bought a 08 Colorado and will need these replaced also. Was wondering what they told you price wise?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much did they quote you? I just bought a 08 Colorado and will need these replaced also. Was wondering what they told you price wise?
I'm unfamiliar with how the 2008 hangers are installed... Are yours welded to the frame or can they be unbolted and replaced?

I'm in a sticky situation due to how mine are welded in-place on the frame and so far, the best option I've found in my immediate area is that a local spring and alignment shop could weld over any breakage, something the guy referred to as a "repair and not a replace." His justification was that he couldn't seem to find anyone or any place which offered any replacement hangers. Bear in mind that this guy didn't seem to make many phone calls while I was waiting on him nor have I personally sought out more than about 2 or 3 options in all this, so my research and quote numbers are sparse, meaning, I'm sure many better options exist than those I've accrued up to this point.

That being said, for me right now, it's either the repair approach (via the re-weld at the spring and alignment shop) or else a complete frame replacement from a local collision place. The frame replacement would be between $3-4k (via a sub-contractor the truck would be shipped off to from the collision shop)... The re-weld would be around $300.00. I mean, it's obvious which approach I would take but the thing is that this "re-weld" sounds more like a coverup rather than an actual repair. It's hard to shake the mental image off of someone throwing a bunch of solder over the hanger and calling it a day... Sure, it's actual weld but how much of it would actually hold, etc.?

So, when the time comes for me to get super-serious about all this, I figure I'll get some other quotes from more places. I'd hate to think I couldn't eventually come across someone who would be willing to fabricate some hangers if it's possible to do but given the number of places I've called who told me that they don't want to accept the liability of replacing hangers, well, I'm not sure what will happen. (Had at least 2 shops refuse to do the work for fear of being unable to guarantee the work, hence their apprehensions of liability.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Is not what i wanted to hear lol. Just bought the truck for 6k. Its in immaculate shape except those hangers.
I wouldn't let that bring you down just yet. Bear in mind that I haven't done much research in finding many places just yet, so shop around to get more quotes than I have up to this point because I'm betting you'll find a small-to-medium sized shop that can either fabricate some new hangers or else come up with something better or at-par. If done right, I think the weld-over approach can result in a stronger hanger, too, so that route might also be an option for you. The best approach (I think) would be to find a shop that can fabricate some new hangers but in such a way that would allow for bolt-on capabilities whereby you would just have them fabricate the new hangers with an additional pair for backup. :) And then when the time comes--if ever--to replace those, you'd be set. I'd think that something like this could be done by the right place...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update this:

I kept looking around but eventually got back in touch with the local spring and alignment shop that we have here in my town to talk about fabricating new hangers to be welded onto the existing frame instead of just "welding over" the current hangers, which I feel is just putting a band-aid on the issue. The guy spoke to his people about it and I was told that it would increase the cost upward towards $700 (everything, including labor) but this would get me brand new hangers. On top of this, they re-confirmed that I have plenty of time before I really need to do something like that, so all is good. Thankfully, for me, that's a price I'm okay with--well, okay is an awfully strong word to describe what I feel about it but I'm willing to accept that cost given the only other option I have in my town is to buy an entirely new frame, which would run me somewhere between $3 and $4k to do--which I'm not needing right now or anytime in the foreseable 5-6 year range, minimum.

So for whoever sees this thread, if you're in a situation where you have welded-on spring hangers like I do with my 2006 Colorado that are beginning to show signs of rust, bear in mind that the options will be either to find a place that can fabricate brand new hangers and weld them onto your existing frame or else buy a brand new frame to be swapped.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I was told about the same price. Luckily I guess mine was all surface rust. After i removed the rust it wasn't bad at all so I applied an anti rust coating to it and the couple small spots on the frame and im good to go. Mechanic actually told me its in amazing shape for an 08 and the underneath is pristine shape. Made me happy. I lucked out and got an amazing deal for once.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own a 2006 Colorado 2WD and I noticed today when messing around under the truck that the hangers for the springs (which are welded to the frame) look pretty rusty. (The following is an image of the rear driver's side.)

View attachment 380441

The passenger's side is at this stage of rust, too, and I've sent these images to a local shop asking if they think it's time to get them replaced and if so, how much. I haven't heard back from them yet but to me, they look like they might last about 1 or 2 more years before breaking apart and potentially causing a major accident. They both have a normal amount of scaling and I can't see a single ounce of play in them when moving or pushing the suspension up an down, so I hope I'm right. Regardless, I'm betting it would be at least a $1,000+ job to repair as I'm thinking the shop will come back saying it will need to be sub-contracted out from their place due to the welding it involves with the frame, which I'm not looking forward to. (I think they handle welding through an outside contractor.)

What do you guys think would be involved with this? Both labor and cost-wise? Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm thinking?

Any insight into this would be appreciated and apologies in advance if this was put in the wrong forum.
Do you live in an area where there is snow and salt? This looks pretty normal for a 12 yr. old truck. Just try cleaning it off with some simple green (don't over pressure) and then spray the entire area with a good amount of fluid film every year. this should condition the metal and slow down any further corrosion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Brian.

I'm in the middle of Indiana, so I'll say yes to that as every winter, we have the snowplow trucks going all over the place doing their thing. I recently contacted a local AutoZone about getting some new bushings for the springs and they told me for a pair, it would run me about $10.xx. So I'm thinking about doing basically what you just suggested by getting those, disconnecting the springs, and taking some sort of wire brush to the hangers to get excess scaling or rust off of it and then lightly sanding it down as much as I can to get through any surface rust before spraying it with some rustoleum rust converter. Once that's done, I was thinking about spray painting it, too. I've never done something like this with springs, so I have some research to do to figure out how I disconnect that but once I figure that piece out, I think it should be a pretty straightforward thing which could have long-lasting results if I do it right. (Getting the inside of that hanger might be a challenge as the space inside the hanger isn't going to be easy to get to when I go after the rust.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Brian.

I'm in the middle of Indiana, so I'll say yes to that as every winter, we have the snowplow trucks going all over the place doing their thing. I recently contacted a local AutoZone about getting some new bushings for the springs and they told me for a pair, it would run me about $10.xx. So I'm thinking about doing basically what you just suggested by getting those, disconnecting the springs, and taking some sort of wire brush to the hangers to get excess scaling or rust off of it and then lightly sanding it down as much as I can to get through any surface rust before spraying it with some rustoleum rust converter. Once that's done, I was thinking about spray painting it, too. I've never done something like this with springs, so I have some research to do to figure out how I disconnect that but once I figure that piece out, I think it should be a pretty straightforward thing which could have long-lasting results if I do it right. (Getting the inside of that hanger might be a challenge as the space inside the hanger isn't going to be easy to get to when I go after the rust.)
Lol im in Indiana too. In muncie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the attached image, I've highlighted in green what I think is the spring bushing... Is this correct? If so, I think what I'm going to do in order to prolong the underside of the entire truck is scrape away as much rust as I can and then cover everything with a rust converter. This would include replacing the bushings but before I do this, I'll need to order some new bushings as long as what I've called "bushings" is what those actually are in the image. I'm just trying to make sure I'm ordering the correct thing because I've seen some things on Amazon being referred to as "shackles" and I don't know what the difference is between bushing and shackle. Maybe they're the same? Is what I've highlighted in green a bushing or a shackle?

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
417 Posts
Your picture shows a bushing.

Good luck getting the old one out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any tips? I've read things about people using everything from WD-40 to blow torches...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts