Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching for info regarding relocating my rear shock mounts from beneath my Z71 rear axle, I did not find what I was looking for. iIs there a kit available to relocate the lower rear shock mounts? Having migrated to a Colorado from a 2000 Trail modified Tacoma, it's hard to get used to the rock magnets that the shock mounts are. Tacoma does an excellent job of tucking in all the suspension parts. So I want to move them. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,221 Posts
Pretty sure 589fab has some- unless they’re zr2 specific.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
The info I read stated they were for ZR2 specific and would not fit other models.
Have had similar thoughts. The ZR2 kit relocates outside the frame to get the shocks a bit more up, which wouldn't work on a z71 as far as I know. You could cut holes in your truck bed and use the relocation kit probably. Send pics :)

Wrangler shocks are pretty far underneath the rear axle last time I checked.

Reactions: AEONFLUX

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does not relocate but here’s some skids.
Skids were the first thing I put on when I bought the truck. They seem like they will protect the mounts, but I want to get them up to axle level at least.
Does not relocate but here’s some skids.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
FWIW I haven't seen any broken rear shock mount posts from the 2nd gens... Yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skids were the first thing I put on when I bought the truck. They seem like they will protect the mounts, but I want to get them up to axle level at least.
I just don't understand why they would design an off road vehicle with rock magnets like these lower mounts. It does not make sense to me. I am a very amateur stick welder and could fabricate some mounts, but I wouldn't trust my welding skills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don't understand why they would design an off road vehicle with rock magnets like these lower mounts. It does not make sense to me. I am a very amateur stick welder and could fabricate some mounts, but I wouldn't trust my welding skills.
I am too long in the tooth to do any serious rock crawling anymore, but when I was serious about it and traveling to different locations with my cub, if the shock mounts were located below the axle, I guarantee they would have been trashed. We took some really gnarly rock strewn trails. Gave my rock sliders and skid plates a workout.

·
Registered
colorado 2022 400 mi WT
98 Posts
Don't the skid plates while offering some protection to the shock mounts, make the whole assembly just lower, like the spare tire is pretty low also , assuming its' still mounted under the bed , which it probably isn't ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't the skid plates while offering some protection to the shock mounts, make the whole assembly just lower, like the spare tire is pretty low also , assuming its' still mounted under the bed , which it probably isn't ??
Not a significant amount. But they really do beef up the mount. Spare tire still mounted.

·
Premium Member
16'Trailboss edition-K&Ncai-DirtKing ucas-Peak2.0coilovers-GM performance exhaust-SupermodulationTB-
688 Posts
I use the hell out of my 589 shock skids; they hang up EVERYWHERE but i "bump" off my full sized spare tire hanging in the rear. Havent popped a tire yet or broke a shock mount. But I stay away from rocks cuz im in that MI mud n sand.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
In theory, you "could" use the 589Fab relocation. It's possible to use it on a bone stock ZR2. The difference is wheel spacing from the frame, along with a longer axle housing. Wheel spacing can be remedied with a spacer and/or aggressive wheel offset, min 1.75" spacer or -10mm offset. The longer housing only matters if the brakes hit the shocks, which I don't believe will happen, since the calipers are on the rear. I ran a 35x10.50 on a stock ZR2 with the 589 kit and I believe it would have cleared. I only ran wheel spacers since I had them, as a just in case.

Take what you will from that, but the time I spent designing and making my own custom long travel relocation, showed me things.

Personally, I would make my own relocation instead of buying the 589Fab kit again. I could do it much cheaper, better and it would fit properly. You'd still need to space the wheel out on a non-ZR2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In theory, you "could" use the 589Fab relocation. It's possible to use it on a bone stock ZR2. The difference is wheel spacing from the frame, along with a longer axle housing. Wheel spacing can be remedied with a spacer and/or aggressive wheel offset, min 1.75" spacer or -10mm offset. The longer housing only matters if the brakes hit the shocks, which I don't believe will happen, since the calipers are on the rear. I ran a 35x10.50 on a stock ZR2 with the 589 kit and I believe it would have cleared. I only ran wheel spacers since I had them, as a just in case.

Take what you will from that, but the time I spent designing and making my own custom long travel relocation, showed me things.

Personally, I would make my own relocation instead of buying the 589Fab kit again. I could do it much cheaper, better and it would fit properly. You'd still need to space the wheel out on a non-ZR2.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I read somewhere that the geometry works better for carrying loads in the bed vs requiring strengthening elsewhere, but I can't recall the details.

Lol yes, I've hit more rocks since installing the skids than I ever did without them.

·
Registered
colorado 2022 400 mi WT
98 Posts
After measuring shock mounts at just 6 inches and the spare tire at 7.25 inches (angled down as mounted ) from the ground up, Heavy snow in Mi. means I will be plowing some snow with those parts of the undercarriage. Assuming I don't hit a block of ice or limestone left by County Snowplows. (2022 WT no mods) vs.,The Winter Wonderland. Not an ideal design in a real life scenario.... in my opinion for a 4 x 4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After measuring shock mounts at just 6 inches and the spare tire at 7.25 inches (angled down as mounted ) from the ground up, Heavy snow in Mi. means I will be plowing some snow with those parts of the undercarriage. Assuming I don't hit a block of ice or limestone left by County Snowplows. (2022 WT no mods) vs.,The Winter Wonderland. Not an ideal design in a real life scenario.... in my opinion for a 4 x 4.
there are a lot of 4x4s designed that way. Since my Tacoma didn't have that problem, I never paid any attention until I bought the Colorado. Seems like it would be a simple thing to change the design.

·
Premium Member
2020 ZR2 Bison V-6
103 Posts

Great info from hoooogan. . . I did the 589 and in retrospect, I probably could have fabricated something myself - and would for future builds but I am completely happy with my 589 relocation kit. Made a huge difference in how I use my rig. I got one of the stock mounts hung on a tree stump in the dark and had to jack my truck off of it that made me decide to do it.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
Here is the actual potential issue: Interference with the parking brake cable with the shorter non-ZR2 axle housing. The cable is basically resting on my shock body. Pulling that 1.75" closer to the shock will cause heavy interference. There is some slack and you can route it straighter, but I still don't think you can get it completely out of the way.

Only real solutions would be to see about rerouting those parking brake cables or swap in a ZR2 axle housing. At least you gain the locker with the ZR2 assembly. Or, you can do something similar to this 1st Gen Tacoma shock relocation kit. You would need to be much more conscious of the valving stack with this style, since angles alter the effective dampening. I can't imagine there is much control over body roll either.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Fender

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hoooogan, great pics and great info. Thanks! It's a much more involved fix than I figured. So, my shocks will remain as is, Many thanks to all whom contributed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts