Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep. Check out the thread-link in my sig...;-)
... and I will gladly sing the praises of the product he offers as I am one of his satisfied customers. There are pictures in the thread that he cited and I have a picture of the shelf in my extended cab in my garage. The best part of the shelf? You don't have to remove anything and, in a pinch, the pseudo-seats are still available for use.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Plenty of DIY info there if you are so inclined. Or pay me to make you one. It's all good.

But yeah, the problem with removing the seats is you then have unfinished surfaces that are still not conducive to hauling any kind of cargo. A flat and level load floor is the ticket, regardless of how you do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One final question on this topic - when you remove the headrest and loop from the extended cab panel, it leaves 3 holes on each side. Is there a trim piece (plastic plug?) available to fill these holes or will I have to make something? Looked on the interior part list a couple of pages back and did not see anything. If the rear panel is the same one used on the WT with no seats, I would guess there is something that would go there.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Nice write up. I am getting ready to begin the task. I appreciate you telling me that the metal beam can be removed. I do not want to begin unless I know that I can go down to the main floor without anything obstructing it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
OMG, I"ve had my EX Cab for one week and after grocery shopping yesterday those back seats have got to go.

I previously had a Nissan Frontier Ex Cab and it had a ton more room in the back than the Colorado does. Plus in 11 years of ownership I don't recall using the rear seats for a person even once.

This thread is gonna make it easy to remove the seats. I'm hoping I can figure out some way to preserve one seat but if not then tey are both goners. If I do figure something out, I'll post my results.
Check out Browneye's thread and then get yourself one of those shelves. You can stack a lot of groceries and they don't slide around. In and out in 30 seconds. Very high quality build.

Reactions: Browneye

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wish one of the subwoofer box companies would make a combo sub box and rear platform for seat delete in the extended cabs. Most of the 15-18 options are for crewcab only. The ideal solution would be a fabricated carpeted base (with storage and sub area), and the factory seatback covers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took some of the best ideas on this thread (thanks!) to build my rear box. I liked the idea of leaving one seat for emergencies, but adding lots of storage. Not my best work (I ordered the carpet at night thinking I had gray carpet ?, but hey, its a truck. Plywood, piano hinge. The hooks are from a curtain rod I had laying around. Took out the back hump and the headrest mechanism. I did minimal glueing of the carpet to the back panel so all could be returned to original if needed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pGCdhd1HMRX7BPn12

·
Registered
10 Posts
Front seats can recline, lots of room under the remaining rear seat and on the floor, and I guess if needed, someone small could sit on the box.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Front seats can recline, lots of room under the remaining rear seat and on the floor, and I guess if needed, someone small could sit on the box.
Very nice build, any chance you could supply measurements?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write up! I am hoping to do something similar for storage. However, I've had 2 orders cancelled at different dealers for the back vinyl filler panels. Apparently GM doesnt make them anymore. Anyone have a pair they would like to sell?
I'm thinking my storage area design will also be able to house a 2nd battery for extra power when camping.

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
44 Posts
Only had the truck three weeks, seats already out!
Cab is for storing recovery gear and basic tool.

Difficult the find the balance between flat storage and still using the under front seat storage locations.
I have a lock box as a first aid kit (left unlocked) and under the passenger seat I can fit 2 sk tool clamshells, my 3/8" rachet set and 1/2" impact socket set.

Tende, that is a slick setup!!
Might do something like that, having an emergency seat is nice, and still have that handy storage space... and still provides something flat to put s#1t on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m trying to learn CAD and design a medal box that is similar. I like the idea of keeping one seat so I may do a separate design for that option. I haven’t found a commercial option yet that I’d be willing to part with my cash for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
44 Posts
I went the "free" method.

Under and being passenger seat is tools and tire inflator. Middle is 2 x 2.25 gallons of water.
And behind me goes groceries.

I can put light things on tops, work bags etc. And in a pinch, I have cardboard to lay on... Love it!

141 - 159 of 159 Posts