Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes without saying, the design of the twins' extended cab rear seats leave a lot to be desired. Personally, I find the most valuable real estate in the back to be the large cupholders. The underseat storage is underwhelming and unless you're putting tiny passengers in the rear seats, they don't have a whole lot of utility. If you're tall like me and have the driver's seat nearly all the way back, no human being is going to fit behind you anyway. So why have seats at all?

After all, they take up space where tools, luggage, or groceries could go. You may ask why not sit groceries on top of the rear seats? Well grocery bags don't stay put. They tend to roll back into the crevice between the seat and back cushions and also into the space where the cupholder and seat belt buckle are housed, or they just fall forward onto the floor.

So how do I go about removing the rear seats? What's underneath them? Will they look ugly if removed? I decided to seek these very answers today.

After opening the driver side front door, and then the corresponding driver side rear door. I went toward the base of the rear seat.

I found a rubber covering over a connection point.

After simply lifting off the rubber cover to remove it, I found a 18mm hex nut underneath. I noted it held both the seat cushion and the seat belt harness in place.

Next, I went over to the jack cover, which is located in the center between the rear seat cushions.

I removed the jack cover by pulling the bottom forward.

I now had access to another 18mm hex bolt.

I removed the bolt as well as the first bolt I had found on the other side of the seat (not pictured).

The seat cushion was now freed and could be lifted up and out.

I repeated the process above for the other seat. However, once I took the seat cushion out, I replaced this hex bolt on each side to hold the seat belt harness in place, because I decided not to remove the seat belt. See my next post for more info and pictures.

Once both seat cushions were removed, I next removed the tool bag cover. A good illustration of this is provided in the owner's manual on page 10-64.

Turn the wingnut counterclockwise and then remove tool bag.

I next removed the hex bolt inside each of the two rubber seat bumpers.

Here's a closer look at the nuts and bolts.

What's left of the rear seat now is the plastic housing. The only trick for removing it is to pull the front bottom around the metal piece that held the toolbag holder. Then it comes free and can be lifted out.

Removing the plastic housing reveals a metal beam on the floor that spans across of the rear seating area. I considered leaving it and possibly installing some cargo netting. I think it's conceivable to custom build something over it. I am not that handy, so I would have to really plan that one out in the future.

The beam is attached directly to the chassis of the truck through an area where carpet has been cut and removed. Other than this area on either side of the rear floor, carpeting covers the entire usable area.

Each side of the beam is held solidly in place by a T-50 torx screw

I removed both torx screws and then removed the beam.

A closer look at the torx screw shows traces of some kind of loctite compound.

One problem with taking the screws out is that you're left with two holes in the floor of the truck. Through the holes, I could see the asphalt of my parking spot under the truck.

I reinstalled the torx screws.

Now all that's needed is a good vacuuming, but otherwise, it's done. The rear seat has been removed in about 15 minutes while taking pictures, so I think a good estimate is it should take about 10 minutes.

Here's a look at the larger components. I estimate the total weight of all these pieces combined at around 20 pounds (8 for each seat, 2 for the plastic housing and 2 for the beam).

Here's a look at how far back I keep the driver's seat and how much room I now have behind it.

You'll notice that while I did remove the headrests, I did not remove the seat back cushion nor did I remove the seat belt harness--I only removed the seat belt buckle. So as mentioned above, I did reinstall one hex nut on each side to hold the seat belt in place on the floor. See my next post for further info.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not remove the seat belt harness purely because it extends down into the rear pillar, which I didn't feel up to taking apart.

I did take a closer look to collect info for a possible removal of the seatbelt in the future.

I removed the plastic cover where the seat belt strap feeds into.

The seat belt strap and harness were held in place by a T-50 torx screw. I did remove the screw to see if I could see into the pillar and reach far enough down to remove whatever was anchoring the seat belt, but I couldn't see anything, so I did not move beyond this. I replaced the screw and the plastic cover.

The main reason I allowed the rear seat back cushions to remain in place was because there would have been an unsightly hole left in their place. Also, since they are filled with foam, I figured they would best serve me as a glorified sound deadening material.

If I did want to remove the seats, I would have looked underneath the seats to access two torx screws. From what I could tell, removing the two torx screws and then lifting the cushion up and off the bar it's mounted to in the back should release it. Feel free to post your own pictures on this thread if you remove the back cushion. I'd love to see what novel ideas people can come up with to cover the hole.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had a feeling that it would not be long before someone tried to take the rear seats from the extended cab - thanks for taking the jump and the photos.

It really looks rather good without the seats. Just need a little carpet or a mat to cover up the two seat mounting holes in the carpet.

Reactions: JCPA

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very nice write up there JCPA. That will help me a lot. I may go ahead and remove the seat backs just so I can get ride of those loops at the top of the seat back and then put the seat back back on again.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice, thanks for the great write up and pics--this is something I'll be considering after using the truck stock for a while-see if it's workable as is for camping and such.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Thanks for the pictorial how to.
Now you ready for the front firing sub enclosure/storage deck.:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
EBAY and CraigList will probably have rear seats available for free, for years to come.

GM should just make the seat delete an option on all trims.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If I do remove mine, I think I'll get an estimate to have a local upholstery place finish the back so it looks nice. Nothing fancy--just a level floor (maybe with storage underneath) and cover the back wall so the seatbacks don't show.

OR...I've thought about having them put one passenger seat back there, done lounge style, so someone would sit semi-reclined crosswise behind both seats. I'm short and my driver's seat is pretty far forward so they'd have pretty good shoulder room. That way I could haul three people in relative comfort. (as opposed to 4 people, two in superior comfort, two folded up in back) Three mountain bikes is about all I think I could easily fit in the bed anyway so this would be perfect if I wanted to go riding with a couple of buddies...might get an estimate for them to do such a thing at least!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah thanks, I'd be doing this too if I owned one now. Hoping GM sees the light and offers a delete option or just redesigns the seat to be similar to a Gen 1 Colorado ext cab.

I am assuming you looked either online or in person at a factory rear delete. They have a large plastic platform that covers the area. I need to look again at what is done in the backrest area, but my idea would be to think about ordering whatever GM uses on the delete trucks.

Your pics make me think I could do something better than the plastic platform. Maybe use the bar as a start to make some sort of containment wall, with some sides that would attach to the floor in the studs where the belts attach.

I want to say the delete trucks still have rear belts? I will look again.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
OK had to convert to jpeg file.
You can see the plastic platform the factory uses and also, unless it is a computer glitch, I see belts in back as well. I thought I saw images only somewhere of the back panel as well.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the post. I can't fit a crew cab long bed in our garage, so if I buy a Colorado it'll be the extended cab. It's nice to know what kind of storage space is available back there with the seats removed. Our dogs would like it better back there without the seats too.

Looks like an impressive amount of sound deadening material under the carpet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That platform might be worth buying by itself if the price wasn't too high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EBAY and CraigList will probably have rear seats available for free, for years to come.

GM should just make the seat delete an option on all trims.
i have been waiting for the '15 colorado for quite some time to replace my zr2 s10 extended cab. went to dealer to see one and as soon as i opened the rear door my heart sank. the rear seats are worthless. totally kills the area behind the front seats for me. i would never put anyone in the rear seats even if they could fit. certainly cannot use the space as i have in my s10, tool box, cooler, groceries, dogs ect. i was ready to order till i saw the rear seats. i see there is a rear seat delete for base truck but not any other trim level. very bad move on gm's part . i have contacted gm and expressed my disappointment with the design and suggested rear seat delete for all trim levels but dont have much hope they will see the light. i will wait to see if they offer seat delete option for '16 model year and if they don't will put $$$$ into my '02 s10 and just keep on trucking with that. really disappointed with colorado extended cab.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If enough people send email requesting the rear seat delete on all trim levels then perhaps they will implement that in the future. I too would prefer this option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been waiting for the '15 colorado for quite some time to replace my zr2 s10 extended cab. went to dealer to see one and as soon as i opened the rear door my heart sank. the rear seats are worthless. totally kills the area behind the front seats for me. i would never put anyone in the rear seats even if they could fit. certainly cannot use the space as i have in my s10, tool box, cooler, groceries, dogs ect. i was ready to order till i saw the rear seats. i see there is a rear seat delete for base truck but not any other trim level. very bad move on gm's part . i have contacted gm and expressed my disappointment with the design and suggested rear seat delete for all trim levels but dont have much hope they will see the light. i will wait to see if they offer seat delete option for '16 model year and if they don't will put $$$$ into my '02 s10 and just keep on trucking with that. really disappointed with colorado extended cab.
While I haven't seen it in person, I have looked at a picture of the rear seat delete option on the extended cab. The seats are replaced with a hard plastic shelf of sorts. However this option also monopolizes space in the rear like the seats do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the pics and information. Very helpful:) The rear seat mess almost prevented me from buying the truck. I had a 2009 Nissan Frontier extended cab. I had cleaned out most of my stuff before going to swap vehicles at the dealer. When I did, I got about half of my belongs out of the Nissan when I ran out of space in the Canyon and had to use the truck bed! Much less storage area in the Canyon. Door pockets are narrow and what's the deal with a cup holder at a 30 degree angle! LOL, still trying to figure that one out. I used the door pockets a LOT in the Nissan but nothing fits in them in the Canyon. And the Nissan had two glove compartments (upper and lower). This rear seat removal will fix a LOT of the issues.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the Canyon. It is a far superior product and much better driving experience compared to the Nissan. I just didn't expect a bigger truck to have less space inside....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan on taking out my rear seats like this in the next couple weeks. I've noticed people mentioned getting the floor flattened. I'm wondering if anyone has either done that yet or get a quote on how much it would cost? Also, has anyone removed the back panel plastic and the seat? I want to remove my seats but I don't want to leave the back of the seat there. Thanks

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
1 - 20 of 159 Posts