Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to having Bilstein 5100's installed on all 4 corners of my crew cab long box 2015 Canyon soon, and am planning on running the front at the full 2" lift along with 265/70R17 tires.

I'm anticipating wanting to also lift the rear a bit, and am looking for advice on going with blocks or an 'add-a-leaf' kit.

I don't carry or tow heavy loads, which is what the additional leaf setup seems to offer. But I also like getting something more than cosmetic for my money, even if it costs more.

Will the additional leaf make for a harsher ride? Should I just go with blocks if/when the time comes?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing with the Bilstiens, and planing on doing the GM 1'block. Its well priced and OEM and won't change the dynamics. As I plan on hauling and possibly towing, I'm also planning on adding a 500lb helper spring which just bolts over the existing spring pack which will keep my rear from sagging, without introducing a different spring rate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As I posted in another thread, I've had add-a-leafs break on two different vehicles! I'm contemplating adding some 1" blocks and just a little more lift in the front for my truck right now...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is that common or are you guys running crap AAL because I did some heavy wheeling including jumps and the AALs were perfectly fine.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Normally blocks are frowned upon but a 1" block won't cause a bunch of difference in spring wrap.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll likely stick with the 1" GM OEM blocks when the time comes, I just figured I'd consider the add-a-leaf to achieve the same lift and get some function out of the investment.

But if it's going to negatively impact day to day driving with an empty bed, or if the quality of the aftermarket leafs is questionable, I'll stick with the blocks.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
274 Posts
For the performance, AAL...for the price and just looks, Blocks

We have a lot of customers running AAL on all different types of trucks and never had any issues.

I would like to know what brand AAL was @DougC running that snapped.

JT

·
Registered
219 Posts
JT, any issues running the OEM 1" lift block with your chase setup(Deaver minipak)? Since the factory overload spring is so thick, when removed and replaced with the Deaver pak there wasn't much if any lift in the rear(according to the ole eyeball rulers).

·
Registered
69 Posts
For the performance, AAL...for the price and just looks, Blocks

We have a lot of customers running AAL on all different types of trucks and never had any issues.

I would like to know what brand AAL was @DougC running that snapped.

JT

Been a few years, but I'm sure they were Rough Country. Two different S-10 trailblazers, same outcome.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I'm looking forward to having Bilstein 5100's installed on all 4 corners of my crew cab long box 2015 Canyon soon, and am planning on running the front at the full 2" lift along with 265/70R17 tires.

I'm anticipating wanting to also lift the rear a bit, and am looking for advice on going with blocks or an 'add-a-leaf' kit.

I don't carry or tow heavy loads, which is what the additional leaf setup seems to offer. But I also like getting something more than cosmetic for my money, even if it costs more.

Will the additional leaf make for a harsher ride? Should I just go with blocks if/when the time comes?
Unless that AAL is 1" thick it has to stiffen the rear some to get you to 1". Like you I'm not likely to carry real heavy loads so I went with a block. If you are happy with the rear stiffness I would do the block. Its easier to install and cheaper too. Heck, I hear the ZR2 has a block from the factory, can't be that bad right??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unless that AAL is 1" thick it has to stiffen the rear some to get you to 1".

AAL's are arched more than the factory springs, and force them into a tighter arc. That is where I see the problem. You are much better off getting the springs re-arched, or buy different ones as @ashton7237 suggested.
I will settle for the factory blocks!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW......Find yourself a full leaf pak with the appropriate lift.

I've had AAL's before.... and they eventually 'flatten' out and as someone already mentioned, they can break AND they can break your OEM leafs too. Leafs in a pak have a certain 'arch'. When you put an AAL in there - you disrupt the natural arch the leafs were meant for putting stress on the OEM leafs.

Blocks? If you're doing any offroading or racing, I'd avoid them. While offroading and under torque - I've seen atleast 2 blocks break apart and literally fly out from under the truck and almost hit someone.

Re-arching your OEM leafs is an option - but - I'd consider that as a last resort. I had OEM pak re-arched in a 96 tacoma (2 stock leafs). I also had 2 additional leafs made with the same arch. I asked for 2" of lift......which, at first....you get more like 3.5" until they settle. It did eventually settle to 2". That leaf pak was sooooo heavy duty. It was frigin awesome for offroading /towing / hauling, etc. Stiff...... bombproof. I was younger back then and could handle the 'roughness' of the ride.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As I posted in another thread, I've had add-a-leafs break on two different vehicles! I'm contemplating adding some 1" blocks and just a little more lift in the front for my truck right now...
you posted on mine haha

I did the ADD a leaf, I don't know how they would break, because I use my truck as a commuter truck and weekend warrior, not as a truck (per-say) (work truck)

for aestetics, I preffered the add a leaf, because I can load something on the back and it won't be saggig as much with the added load cap.

Here is my thread on it

http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-2nd-gen-tires-wheels-suspension/348689-add-lift-aal-1-5-rear-lift-auto-springs-6-10-rating.html

The only time they make contact with the other leafs is when the rear is under load, i'm not too worried about them breaking, by the time they do, I would upgrade or get new ones given that after 50k miles, your suspension starts to get soggy anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts