Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear diff noise

How many owners here that have had the rear axle noise fixed under warranty had the problem come back? I had the ring and pinion and bearings replaced a year ago but the noise has come back,Just curious if any others have experienced this,Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have had the ring and pinion replaced and the fix has been good. It's still quiet as a church mouse. Now that may change with more miles. It's been 6 or 7 thousand miles since it was done. My guess is they didn't get the tolerances correct on yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2016 colorado, duramax, 4x4, Z71, crew cab, long bed, 30kmiles
About a week ago I noticed a womp womp womp noise coming from the right rear of the truck.
The noise would increase and decrease with speed, it was also more noticeable at certain speeds I.E. parking lot speeds, 47mph, 62mph,etc. it wasn’t as bad under decelerationas it was while cruising at a constant speed.
I thought that maybe it was a tire issue, even though I could not feel anything in the steering wheel or in the seat of my pants. I was due for a rotation anyway, so I had a balance and rotation done… no change in the noise.
I made an appointment with the dealer and dropped it off. The service writer calls me about 5 hours later and tells me they are going to need to keep it and come pick up a loaner.
It is a problem with the rear differential, he could not give me the exact problem when asked, and said they need to “get into it” to find the exact problem. I asked what they spent the last 5 hours doing to it? Road testing and trouble shooting was the reply…lol.
I said I need to get some stuff out of the truck (insurancecard, ezpass, work access card) and could they lower it down so I can get in it. He said, “oh that one is not yours, we have another one just like yours in for the exact same issue”. He then goes in the back and drives mine around to the service lane for me to get my stuff out.
I had just detailed it before taking it in so I could not tell if they had even taken the right rear tire off or not.
Anyway, strange that they have two exact 2016 duramax longbed crew cabs, in black (with the same tonnue cover) in the same shop for thesame issue… I hope for all our sakes that this is not a trend.
Has anyone had rear diff issues, or seen any tech bulletins on it?
Thanks
Chappy

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Funny how they told you they didn't know the exact problem and had to "get into it" to find out, then he says the other truck on the hoist had the exact same repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
update! they "assumed" it was the same issue as the other one they had in.
after they took the diff cover off and inspected they could not find anything wrong.
now they are talking about the noise possibly coming from the front.
i am no ASE certified mechanic but i am pretty sure the noise was coming from the rear...as was everyone else that rode along and listened.
i asked them have they had a good look at the E-brake shoes and associated parts, the wheel and tire being balanced, flat spotted or out of round? alignment?
rotor? caliper? loose break pad? outer axle bearing or wheel bearing?
followed by a big, long ,pregnant pause from the service writer....
oh well, we will see what today brings.
they did put me in a 2017 z71, 4x4 V6 Colorado as a loaner... love the acceleration...hate the gas mileage..........

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2016 canyon all terrain. I had it in once and they re-torqued the bolts of rear springs, no change, I haven't been back yet to let them know. What I have found is that the noise I deal with is really lower speeds like turning into a driveway or any turn while moving slow like in a parking lot. I have heard that the differential is a Dana unit mine has electronic auto locking rear when in 4 wheel drive and some jeep owners say that these are noisy units, I don't know but it is a definite clunking noise when it does it and mine is from the right rear. I have also noticed that when it is cooler the noise is not as noticeable, maybe thicker gear lube when cold, just a thought. It is really my only complaint with this truck, lover everything else about it after 1 year of ownership. Let me know what if anything they find. I will do the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts
How many owners here that have had the rear axle noise fixed under warranty had the problem come back? I had the ring and pinion and bearings replaced a year ago but the noise has come back,Just curious if any others have experienced this,Thanks for any replies.
What type of noise were you dealing with, a whining gear noise or clunking when hitting bumps on the right rear like mine is doing? My first go around dealer re-torqued all the rear spring bolts per a service bulletin which didn't change anything.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
update! they "assumed" it was the same issue as the other one they had in.
after they took the diff cover off and inspected they could not find anything wrong.
now they are talking about the noise possibly coming from the front.
i am no ASE certified mechanic but i am pretty sure the noise was coming from the rear...as was everyone else that rode along and listened.
i asked them have they had a good look at the E-brake shoes and associated parts, the wheel and tire being balanced, flat spotted or out of round? alignment?
rotor? caliper? loose break pad? outer axle bearing or wheel bearing?
followed by a big, long ,pregnant pause from the service writer....
oh well, we will see what today brings.
they did put me in a 2017 z71, 4x4 V6 Colorado as a loaner... love the acceleration...hate the gas mileage..........
just so you know, there is not one bearing in there that you can see by just removing the cover. And any small pitting can make a lot of noise. Also, small pitting in a bearing will not leave any noticeable debris in there either. So there's that.... good luck. "didn't see nottin' in dere Clitus!" lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
How Many Miles?

How many miles do you guys have on your trucks when these are failing? I changed the front and rear diff oil in mine yesterday at only 11K miles and the rear fluid was really dark and lot's of fine debris on the magnetic plug of the rear. The front fluid was clearer, although still pretty dark, but tons of debris on the plug.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
How many miles do you guys have on your trucks when these are failing? I changed the front and rear diff oil in mine yesterday at only 11K miles and the rear fluid was really dark and lot's of fine debris on the magnetic plug of the rear. The front fluid was clearer, although still pretty dark, but tons of debris on the plug.
WTF is going on with this? There was another post about dark oil just the other day. How in the world is the oil getting dark? I'm going to check and change mine tomorrow. Mine has 11K too....

·
Registered
634 Posts
WTF is going on with this? There was another post about dark oil just the other day. How in the world is the oil getting dark? I'm going to check and change mine tomorrow. Mine has 11K too....
Let us know what you find. I decided to change mine because someone changed there's a few days ago in another thread and had a milky color. At least I didn't have that...!

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I've always changed the diff lube on new rigs at about 7.5k miles. There is considerable wear in of ring and pinon, axle gears, spider gears. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Let us know what you find. I decided to change mine because someone changed there's a few days ago in another thread and had a milky color. At least I didn't have that...!
Well the oil was "dark" but dark is a very subjective description i guess you could say. It was dark but not like used oil dark. Looked normal to me. I'm guessing it can get a little burned from shear forces on the gears and of coarse anything floating it it. It did have a good sized pile of very fine metal shavings on the magnet in the drain plug, also normal IMO. Probably just initial break in stuff....No water (milky color)

Oh yeah, and the drain plug was loose! Not like going to fall out loose but still! Surprised the crap out of me how loose it was. The filler plug was very tight...

Reactions: BumbleZ

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well the oil was "dark" but dark is a very subjective description i guess you could say. It was dark but not like used oil dark. Looked normal to me. I'm guessing it can get a little burned from shear forces on the gears and of coarse anything floating it it. It did have a good sized pile of very fine metal shavings on the magnet in the drain plug, also normal IMO. Probably just initial break in stuff....No water (milky color)

Oh yeah, and the drain plug was loose! Not like going to fall out loose but still! Surprised the crap out of me how loose it was. The filler plug was very tight...
My previously owned truck - the front & rear diff oils were always very dark after 30k miles. I changed them 3x and it was the same each time.

Not necessarily 'burnt' but 'dirty'. It's the nature of the beast. That oil is exposed to meshing gears, which creates heat and microscopic metal that comes off the gears. Those gears don't stay new forever. After 30k miles, there's a lot of wear.

If the oil stayed perfect......you'd never need to change it.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Pretty much the same results as me. My drain plug in the front was loose also. The assembler did put a green paint mark on it so I guess that's the torque it's supposed to have?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Pretty much the same results as me. My drain plug in the front was loose also. The assembler did put a green paint mark on it so I guess that's the torque it's supposed to have?
Doesn't make sense, on yours the front was loose but the back wasn't? Shouldn't they have the same torque spec? Same with me, the rear was loose not the front. On mine, I think the sealant was the only thing keeping it from backing out. Way too loose......Gawd I hope whoever builds the engines does a better job than that!

·
Registered
487 Posts
My truck has 8740 miles. No offroading at this point and I will be going back to dealership since I already had in for this issue and it is getting worse.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
is there a video of the noise or anything?

My truck makes a whirlling noise but I always assumed it was because I added the duratracs and they got louder as they wear.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I took my truck in for the dame reason, when taking a sharp turn the rear would knock. The dealer said at this point there is no fox to it and didn't do anything to my truck. We're you dealing with she same noise? Forward or backing up, it's quite noticeable usually pulling out of the driveway or parking spot and turning.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 2017 Canyon Denali 4x4 long bed with 11000 on it the differential went out 30 miles from home from a long trip . The service department said I must have been towing a trailer that was over weight . I did not as I stayed in motels instead of towing my TT .I have my receipts to prove it ! Started out as a clicking chirping noise the a full blown grinding noise . I think that has a lot to do with the acceleration on these trucks . Still in the shop I'm ready to jump down his throat if he screws with my warranty !!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.