Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason some of the 2017 colorados are coming to dealerships with rear stone chip protectors missing.And they are not easy to put on by dealers..Bubbles get under the strip while installing ..

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
For some reason some of the 2017 colorados are coming to dealerships with rear stone chip protectors missing.And they are not easy to put on by dealers..Bubbles get under the strip while installing ..

I honestly don't like those stone chip protectors because dirt and other stuff can get between them and the body and start causing problems. I plan on removing mine and spraying the rockers with Line-X color match which will be like having body armor on my rockers. I know the body panels have indentations with clips in them to accommodate the protectors but I also plan on using aftermarket fender flares to cover up the indentations, so with the Line-X behind the flares and on the rockers, my truck will be well protected in that area.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I honestly don't like those stone chip protectors because dirt and other stuff can get between them and the body and start causing problems. I plan on removing mine and spraying the rockers with Line-X color match which will be like having body armor on my rockers. I know the body panels have indentations with clips in them to accommodate the protectors but I also plan on using aftermarket fender flares to cover up the indentations, so with the Line-X behind the flares and on the rockers, my truck will be well protected in that area.
I could be wrong but I think the OP was referring to those clear stickers that are applied to the paint and you are referring to those small mudflap type plastic things.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could be wrong but I think the OP was referring to those clear stickers that are applied to the paint and you are referring to those small mudflap type plastic things.

YES clear stickers that you can see paint thru them they are called PROTECTORS ..What a pain to stick on straight and you can get bubbles under them ..My z71 did not have them on and 1 other truck at dealers but others did...I got 2 rock chips before i had mine put on ..

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Not hard to put on if you know the trick on how to do it.

Generally you mix soapy water in a spray bottle and soak the cleaned fender and the plastic protector down. You apply wet and then squeegee it out. This is no different how you put on the front bumper or hood protection. .

It is the same even for putting on say a bird decal on a Trans Am.

The soap makes it so you can move it and reapply it. It dries out. and no marks no bubbles.

You can also use a rubbing alcohol mix with water too and it will dry faster but you need to work faster.

I have put many of these, hood and other protective covers. I also have done this for most decal applications. Never had a TA Bird fail yet with it.

You also do this on the head lamp protection too.

If you have any large bends or curves on a project a little heat gun helps too. I use the Alcohol on those jobs to get them to stick faster on the difficult areas and soap on the other areas.

Hope this helps for anyone wanting to apply this material.

Note too when I mean squeegee I mean the semi hard plastic kind that will not harm the film but is flexible enough to go over the curves and lines. It is the same for vinyl graphics.

To apply dry is a major pain in the @$$.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not hard to put on if you know the trick on how to do it.

Generally you mix soapy water in a spray bottle and soak the cleaned fender and the plastic protector down. You apply wet and then squeegee it out. This is no different how you put on the front bumper or hood protection. .

It is the same even for putting on say a bird decal on a Trans Am.

The soap makes it so you can move it and reapply it. It dries out. and no marks no bubbles.

You can also use a rubbing alcohol mix with water too and it will dry faster but you need to work faster.

I have put many of these, hood and other protective covers. I also have done this for most decal applications. Never had a TA Bird fail yet with it.

You also do this on the head lamp protection too.

If you have any large bends or curves on a project a little heat gun helps too. I use the Alcohol on those jobs to get them to stick faster on the difficult areas and soap on the other areas.

Hope this helps for anyone wanting to apply this material.

Note too when I mean squeegee I mean the semi hard plastic kind that will not harm the film but is flexible enough to go over the curves and lines. It is the same for vinyl graphics.

To apply dry is a major pain in the @$$.

you are right ..BUT he got 4 bubbles of water under it and it would not come out .he did use squeeze .I was not satisfied so they ordered another one ..he thought the bubbles would go away they did not I used hair dryer on bubbles..we used to get them out by sticking needle in bubble but he did not want to do that..

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
you are right ..BUT he got 4 bubbles of water under it and it would not come out .he did use squeeze .I was not satisfied so they ordered another one ..he thought the bubbles would go away they did not I used hair dryer on bubbles..we used to get them out by sticking needle in bubble but he did not want to do that..

These covers are no harder to install even at home as they are anywhere else. Just sounds like you had someone who had no clue what they were doing.

A hair dryer will not remove moisture nor will a heat gun. Only time will and if it is excessive moisture it can take even up to 6 months to dry out but dry out it will.

Note most sites with paint protection will point out the importance of squeegeeing the moisture out and how even if anything is left it will dry over time.

If you put it on dry it will get air and you will not remove it hence why you use the soapy water and squeegee the hell out of it.

The use of the needle speaks volumes of someone not knowing what they are doing. That's not how it is done.

Most of these if installed even properly will have some fogging but on paint it is not as noticeable as say a headlamp. But it always goes away in about 3 days or less in the summer a little longer in cold weather.

Bottom line is the man you had on the job did not do it right.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
YES clear stickers that you can see paint thru them they are called PROTECTORS ..What a pain to stick on straight and you can get bubbles under them ..My z71 did not have them on and 1 other truck at dealers but others did...I got 2 rock chips before i had mine put on ..
Why didn't the dealer put them on if they were missing from the factory?

I would take the truck back in and have them get some more protectors and make them put them on. .. bubble free as inspected by you until satisfied.:grin2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
My 2017 has the factory protectors installed in the correct places, additionally I had the entire front of the vehicle, headlights included, covered with the film. At the same time the installer put film in the door handle wells and a strip on the edge of each door. I just completed a round trip to Texas (4400 miles) and was amazed that I could remove the bug splatters easily with a pressure wand at the local squirt wash.

·
Registered
599 Posts

I would take the truck back in and have them get some more protectors and make them put them on. .. bubble free as inspected by you until satisfied.:grin2:
Was just about to post the same question. Our trucks are covered by a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty, everything is covered, even a headlight blowing out!

·
Registered
395 Posts
My 2017 has the factory protectors installed in the correct places, additionally I had the entire front of the vehicle, headlights included, covered with the film. At the same time the installer put film in the door handle wells and a strip on the edge of each door. I just completed a round trip to Texas (4400 miles) and was amazed that I could remove the bug splatters easily with a pressure wand at the local squirt wash.

Nice idea!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These covers are no harder to install even at home as they are anywhere else. Just sounds like you had someone who had no clue what they were doing.

A hair dryer will not remove moisture nor will a heat gun. Only time will and if it is excessive moisture it can take even up to 6 months to dry out but dry out it will.

Note most sites with paint protection will point out the importance of squeegeeing the moisture out and how even if anything is left it will dry over time.

If you put it on dry it will get air and you will not remove it hence why you use the soapy water and squeegee the hell out of it.

The use of the needle speaks volumes of someone not knowing what they are doing. That's not how it is done.

Most of these if installed even properly will have some fogging but on paint it is not as noticeable as say a headlamp. But it always goes away in about 3 days or less in the summer a little longer in cold weather.

Bottom line is the man you had on the job did not do it right.
I am one that said I would use needle ..
mechanic is best around 40 years at it...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I did have it back to install them but bubbles got under right one and he had to order another which is there BUT he is too busy right now to do it....he is only mechanic they are cutting back bigtime on mechanics at garages and some do not stay long ..

will get it on next week ...

Wonder why GM is letting trucks go to dealers without them...Someone needs wrote up at GM ..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry.

But a needle is not how you fix this. If it is moisture you just let it dry and if it is air you start over. Not trying to be smart just trying to help.

Even the best mechanic are not always up on body work.
My idea on needle not his nor did he suggest it..He is going to replace the sheet sadly he is only one a big dealership in the boby shop you believe that..They only have 2 mechanics in auto repair part..They quit and dealerships are not paying them well...You can make 100,000.00 at gas wells here and 36,000.00 as gm mechanic..

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
My idea on needle not his nor did he suggest it..He is going to replace the sheet sadly he is only one a big dealership in the boby shop you believe that..They only have 2 mechanics in auto repair part..They quit and dealerships are not paying them well...You can make 100,000.00 at gas wells here and 36,000.00 as gm mechanic..
Good luck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck.
My mechanic is Anal ..Wait until he sees I took the skin off :surprise:There was stone chip That showed thru so I touched it up with artist brush cut to fine point ..He will be mad that I touched his work 40 years at it he is best around but is very touchy at times....

He had a guy by new truck and drove it 47 miles ..He came back and said look at my truck..My mechanic was shocked 100 stone chips all over brand new truck from heavy tar/chip on road ..A lot of chips were from idiots he said young kids with big tires going 55 mph on road it was like someone throwing stones at your truck..

I saw kid coming with big tires on my last Colorado and I drove quick down a private driveway..Owners laughed after I told them why I was in their driveway..I took back road long way back home ...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
My mechanic is Anal ..Wait until he sees I took the skin off :surprise:There was stone chip That showed thru so I touched it up with artist brush cut to fine point ..He will be mad that I touched his work 40 years at it he is best around but is very touchy at times....

He had a guy by new truck and drove it 47 miles ..He came back and said look at my truck..My mechanic was shocked 100 stone chips all over brand new truck from heavy tar/chip on road ..A lot of chips were from idiots he said young kids with big tires going 55 mph on road it was like someone throwing stones at your truck..

I saw kid coming with big tires on my last Colorado and I drove quick down a private driveway..Owners laughed after I told them why I was in their driveway..I took back road long way back home ...
Three things are going to happen. Chips, dings and rust at some point.

I am OCD like hell but I know it is going to happen and you just have to be ready when it does.

The truth in many areas there is crap all over the roads and today's radials pick them up. Many roads are just falling apart. It is not just kids. Many SUV's have no glass and soccer moms take out more windows than anyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.