Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Y'all,

So it's been a long a winding road, but after about 4 years without a truck, I am a Colorado Owner again. After going from my 2007 Z85 I4 to a 2012 Z71 4X4 with the 5.3L V8, I picked up an SS Camaro. With the family growing and work schedules changing it was time to move the race car on to a new home though and welcome our new 2020 Redline Edition Crew Cab.

Anyway onto the meat of my post, I am looking to start out with a leveling kit and have seen mostly good reviews on the Rough Country and the Readylift kits. After talking to some local shops though, it seems most of them doubt the longevity of the Rough Country kit. I have used Readylift in the past without issues but have never tried Rough Country.

Also, I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about wheel spacers in general, but then a fair amount of happy buyers here. I was thinking about adding the popular TitanWheel Accessories spacers that a lot of you have been buying on Amazon, but again my local shops are advising it may lead to premature wear of the hubs. I could just buy different wheels and tires, but I kind of like the redline rims with my truck and don't want to blow 2500 on tires and wheels right out of the gate. (unless anyone is looking for a brand new set of wheels and tires) ;)

I actually wound up picking up both leveling kits (found the Readylift kit on a limited time sale for 25% off) and the spacers; but I have to decide which set-up I want to run and return whatever parts I'm not going to use. I am mostly concerned about using the kit that will lead to the least amount of premature wear and work the best, but I won't want to have more $ in it then necessary, if they are both equally as good. Any thoughts?

I look forward to the feedback!

Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the ReadyLift 2" leveling kit install on my new Z71 after 6 days and 500 miles. I chose it over the rough country after talking with the guys at the 4 wheel shop I have used for nearly 20 years. the design with the stabilizer bar spacers seem to keep the geometry closer to stock. But leveling kits are just that, not a real suspension system. So far after 500 miles I am happy with it. Of course the guys a the 4 wheel place recommended a 3.5 inch full lift with new wheels and tires... Only time will tell with the leveling kit.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts
The Rough Country spacer leveling kit works fine but for the cost of install you may as well just get their new strut leveling kit or go 1 step higher with a Eibach Pro Truck kit.

As far as I know there is not a 3" or 3.5" kit out there that addresses the issue of extreme CV angles and the dramtic loss of down travel. It's better to combine a normal 2" to 2.7" lift with a 1.25" body lift or step up to a true 4"+ lift kit.

IFS vehicles really shouldn't be lifted higher than 2.5" with shocks/springs alone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback!

How do you like the ride quality after installing the Ready Lift kit? Does it feel just as comfortable/capable on the road?

Haha, well they have to make money somehow right? In all honesty, I would love to go for Readylift's 3.5" or MaxTrac's 4" lift kit, but I just can't rationalize wheel/tire shopping on a brand new truck (plus I have a few other mods in mind and I like the OEM Redline wheels). Like most truck enthusiasts I've always loved the look of a lifted pickup.

With the trucks primarily role being my daily driver though, I'm thinking a 2" front lift (and maybe wheel spacers) will give me a similar look; especially if I can fit a more rugged all-terrain 32" tire down the road. (I only have 35000 miles to go till these are probably bald 🤣)

I had the ReadyLift 2" leveling kit install on my new Z71 after 6 days and 500 miles. I chose it over the rough country after talking with the guys at the 4 wheel shop I have used for nearly 20 years. the design with the stabilizer bar spacers seem to keep the geometry closer to stock. But leveling kits are just that, not a real suspension system. So far after 500 miles I am happy with it. Of course the guys a the 4 wheel place recommended a 3.5 inch full lift with new wheels and tires... Only time will tell with the leveling kit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't seen their strut kit. Doing a little more digging, it seems like the Readylift 2" puck doesn't require disassembly of the front struts like the Rough Country spacers making it ride a little more like stock?

I'm not sure on the larger kits. From what I saw it seemed like Readlift's 3.5" and MaxTrac's 4" kits seem like they compensate for any increased angles; but I'm admittedly not too well versed in all of the various lifting options. It's tough to pass on the extra hight for only another few hundred dollars more; but I feel like I would HAVE TO get new wheels/tires if I went that high versus keeping my stock tires on a 2" level until they run dry.

I can't remember the exact site, but I saw an offload shop post images of a Gen2 Colorado with the 2" front leveling kit that added another lift kit bring it to around 5" up front and 3" in the back. I'm not sure on ride quality, etc. but it looked pretty darn good!

The Rough Country spacer leveling kit works fine but for the cost of install you may as well just get their new strut leveling kit or go 1 step higher with a Eibach Pro Truck kit.

As far as I know there is not a 3" or 3.5" kit out there that addresses the issue of extreme CV angles and the dramtic loss of down travel. It's better to combine a normal 2" to 2.7" lift with a 1.25" body lift or step up to a true 4"+ lift kit.

IFS vehicles really shouldn't be lifted higher than 2.5" with shocks/springs alone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone out there have any insight on the 1.5" wheel spacers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking at 1.5" spacers right now. I was talking to the owner of my local tire shop and he said as long as they are installed properly the see very few issue with bolt on spacers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone out there have any insight on the 1.5" wheel spacers?
I just added a set of BORA 1.5” spacers. Very happy with the results....pushes the wheels out just enough to get an aggressive stance but not too much. I would spend the money for a reputable set like BORA....too much to risk with a $100 Amazon/eBay set. Fitment was perfect and had 0 issues with the install. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback!

Looking at something a little taller, how do you guys feel about Readylift's 3.5"(front)/1" (rear) kit?Could I keep my OEM wheel if I went that route instead, and if so what size spacer would I need to run a 32" you think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

How do you like the ride quality after installing the Ready Lift kit? Does it feel just as comfortable/capable on the road?

Haha, well they have to make money somehow right? In all honesty, I would love to go for Readylift's 3.5" or MaxTrac's 4" lift kit, but I just can't rationalize wheel/tire shopping on a brand new truck (plus I have a few other mods in mind and I like the OEM Redline wheels). Like most truck enthusiasts I've always loved the look of a lifted pickup.

With the trucks primarily role being my daily driver though, I'm thinking a 2" front lift (and maybe wheel spacers) will give me a similar look; especially if I can fit a more rugged all-terrain 32" tire down the road. (I only have 35000 miles to go till these are probably bald 🤣)
Well I have little to compare to since i had the leveling put on after 500 miles and about 7 days, But i do not sense any difference in daily driving. Have made a number of 100 mile round trips on highway with it. So far so good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In general anything you do will add wear. Wheel spacers are known to not be a good idea because they are a cheap stop gap solution (from both racers and off roaders to those that tow) but many run them without issues while many have had issues too. It will add wear to both your hubs (bearings in particular) and wheel studs (which could fail under a high load situation) as you are moving the load point further from the center point. The leveling spacers will add wear to the ball joints and CV axles, anything over stock does it just depends how it is used on how long it will last. Strictly a street truck it should last a long time, if you beat on it off road or drive really rough roads regularly and fully travel the suspension they can fail sooner. You have to pay to play, good luck with your choice...

Tyler

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
the 1.5 inch spacers will cause your wheels to stick out a little more then if you had 0 off-set wheels (stock are 33mm 1.5 is 38mm)

so if you bought aftermarket wheels with 0 off-set(pretty common) they woulld wear the parts about the same as the spacers. Somme are finding -15 off-set wheels = less wear and they do not stick out as far..

the rought country spacer on my truck goes above the strut not pre-loading the spring lke mentioned above somewhere

think about the 1.5 body lift with 2 inch suspension lift, several people have done that, less wear on suspension and rides almost like stock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know I hadn’t thought too
Much about body lifts. I guess I always thought it might coming out looking weird compared to a suspension lift.

That’s not a terrible idea though.

Would I have 1.5” of visible fender gab though?

the 1.5 inch spacers will cause your wheels to stick out a little more then if you had 0 off-set wheels (stock are 33mm 1.5 is 38mm)

so if you bought aftermarket wheels with 0 off-set(pretty common) they woulld wear the parts about the same as the spacers. Somme are finding -15 off-set wheels = less wear and they do not stick out as far..

the rought country spacer on my truck goes above the strut not pre-loading the spring lke mentioned above somewhere

think about the 1.5 body lift with 2 inch suspension lift, several people have done that, less wear on suspension and rides almost like stock.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
You know I hadn’t thought too
Much about body lifts. I guess I always thought it might coming out looking weird compared to a suspension lift.

That’s not a terrible idea though.

Would I have 1.5” of visible fender gab though?

you will not have a gap, Zone brand body lift, comes with brackets to raise the front and rear bumpers, with raising the rear bumper you will not be able to tow with the bumper but if you have a receiver hitch, no problem, as it is mounted to the frame, and they give you a spacer to go between body panel and the hitch.
only gap is in the front between lower body and where the skid plate is,if you have a skid plate.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh nice! I always thought, body lifts would leave a visible gap between the body/frame. I guess they're progressed over the years. That Zone body lift with a leveling kit looks practically identical to the 3.5" suspension kit form Readylift from what I can see from photos.

So, I think I've settled on the Readylift 2" front leveling kit and Bora 1.5" spacers (I feel like the companies reliability is definitely worth it when cruising at 80mph down the freeway). Once it's time to purchase new tires, I may go ahead and opt to throw on that 1.5" bodylift and go up to 32or 33's.

I was able to convince my dealer to include the installation on both with my purchase, while they are doing some minor body/finish repairs. I'm hoping to have all the parts by the early part of next week, and figure the truck will be with them for about a week do to some areas that may need to spend a day or two in the body shop.

I'll post some pics as soon as it's all done!

Thanks again for all the input guys 🤘

you will not have a gap, Zone brand body lift, comes with brackets to raise the front and rear bumpers, with raising the rear bumper you will not be able to tow with the bumper but if you have a receiver hitch, no problem, as it is mounted to the frame, and they give you a spacer to go between body panel and the hitch.
only gap is in the front between lower body and where the skid plate is,if you have a skid plate.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So.. I am still waiting on the truck from the dealer (no big deal). But now they're advising that their service team wont be able to?! It doesn't look all that complex, I just don't have anyway to pre-load the springs.

I guess I'll have to try and work something out with another local shop..

I am trying to finagle my way into a set of DuraTracs, using Goodyears 30 day exchange program. If I am able to, I am curious if a 275/65r18 (or a roughly 32"x10.5" tire) will have nay fitment issues. Any thoughts from those of you that have put larger tires on with just a leveling kit? (I will be using 1.5" Bora spacers)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might see if the local Goodyear shop can tackle it.. May need to go to them for the tires anyhow. My dealer isn't being super helpful anymore now that they have all my money 🙄 Guess that's why you get everything in writing 🤦‍♂️

I spoke with Goodyear's customer service though and they set-up an appointment for me to bring the truck by my local shop to have the tires inspected and swapped at a prorated rate (basically if the tires have full tread life they'll give me full value for them towards the purchase of the DuraTracs). (y)

After looking at some other trucks on here, I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a 265/65R18 (31.5") versus the 275/65R18 (32") with just the 2" level. Don't really want to have to cut anything and don't want it to look like too much tire for the size of the truck/lift.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

So I spoke with the fine folks at Goodyear and they're going to get me into an entire set of Duratracs for basically the price of 1 tire! 🤯

I decided to go ahead with the 265/65r18 as the staff there, and the folks at SDHQ advised I'd be rubbing if I went any bigger.

I also decided to toss the Readylift spacer idea and go with the Eibach front springs/shocks to level the truck. After talking to a few different shops around AZ, I'm more or less going to pay the same price for the Eibach kit installed as I was for the Readylift kit installed; and should have a better drivability with the upgrade springs and shocks.

I'm still thinking I may want a bit more lift, to get closer to say 4" or so, but just can't justify the expense of a full lift kit. I've been debating about maybe adding a Zone Body Lift, but have heard that this will mess with the geometry? Also, I'm not sure if my incoming 31.5" tires would look too small with the level AND a body lift?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
what geometry are you talking about with a body lift?
It does not effect suspension or ride quality. it will raise the center of gravity but less then if you did a suspension lift that much.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts