Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

"Re-booting" GM Info screens.

67K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  DavidK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Saw a guide on how to deal with vehicles' info-screen systems when they blacked out or froze. It's a treatment for the symptom, not the underlying cause; they recommend that you take it to the dealer if it happens again, or even just once, to be sure everything is good to go. Anyway, for GM:

Mylink/Intellilink (2014-2016)
• Press the Home and Fast Forward buttons for at least 10 seconds
GM infotainment (2017-2019)
• Press the Onstar call button, then hang up.

Hopefully, this is useful to someone.

#2 ·
I will half to try this, my radio went blank for the first time this week, I've bought the truck back in September of 2016. Anyone know if the 2016 trucks can do over the air updates or is it a dealer only thing? Thanks for the info.

#3 ·
Tried the above instructions, nothing happened. I tried with radio power off and on, same result, it didn't do a boot, it did keep changing radio stations but that was it. Not sure what I am doing wrong, I'm guessing you hold the buttons simultaneously for the 10 seconds.

#5 ·
Someone else mentioned a "reset procedure" from GM Canada, or something, I've found that works on my US '17 ZR2.

1. Put the key in and either turn it to ACC or turn it completely ON. Give it enough time for the infotainment system to boot (even if it's a blank screen and it's broken)
  2. Turn the car off and remove the key
  3. Open the driver's side door
  4. Leave the door open for 2+ minutes
  5. You can now close your door and turn on your truck. The DIC should have reset

#6 ·
I had this issue happen for the first time 2 weeks ago and it's happened once more since then. The Info screen blacked out but the rest of the screens worked. I did a similar reset procedure as you although I didn't time how long you had to keep the door open. I so know that if you do it quickly though it won't reset. I wonder if you have to wait long enough for the BCM to power down? I haven't tried the procedure outlined in post #1 but I may try that if it happens again.

#7 ·
Saw a guide to how to deal with vehicles' info-screen systems when they blacked out or froze. It's a treatment for the symptom, not the underlying cause; they recommend that you take it to the dealer if it happens again, or even just once, to be sure everything is good to go. Anyway, for GM:

Mylink/Intellilink (2014-2016)
• Press the Home and Fast Forward buttons for at least 10 seconds
GM infotainment (2017-2019)
• Press the Onstar call button, then hang up.

Hopefully this is useful to someone.
Onstar button worked for my 2017 canyon, my info. screen now works. Thanks

#8 ·
So, I'm running into this problem on my 18 Colorado. Undoing the negative battery cable did not work, and it doesn't seem to be 'bump' dependant, so I don't think it's a connection somewhere.

So, I did a factory reset yesterday and it worked perfectly for a 30m drive to a restaurant, but when I came out it was back to going to the black screen every 2 minutes (repeatedly). It's so annoying. I performed another factory reset, took a couple of 10 minute drives and no issue again. It's so weird. Almost like a cache issue. And 10m is enough for it to reset 5 times, seriously, it does it repeatedly, non ******* stop. When I took it to the dealer it did it three times while they're running the scan and getting the code. I'm going to keep digging as I have a light it background.

Of course the worst part is that buying a used one is much cheaper, but you don't know if it has the issue as well and buying new from the dealer is $1,000 Plus.

#9 ·
Reviving an old thread on this and hoping for some info. My 2017 ZR2 has done this twice (info screen going blank); once about six months ago, and once just yesterday. Sounds like this rebooting just treats the symptom. Does anyone know if GM has stated the actual cause? Is it a faulty chip? I've noticed that all of the dash displays will also go dim and then bright periodically too, which I'm guessing is related to this. I bought the truck CPO about a year ago and still have a year on the warranty. Going to make an appointment to take it in to a dealership but wanted to find out if anyone has any more info on what causes this problem....??