Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just providing an update. After opening the seams in the b pillar (see previous post) I have not had any issues. I was hearing the ticking sound every time I drove and now I never hear it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gave up on finding the rattle in my pillar a while ago. Just performed the last bulletin that someone posted, we’ll see how that goes, thanks for posting it up.
Funny thing is while I had the dealer involved, Chevrolet customer care stated that they knew nothing about this problem, and I had to lean on them to even get a vague answer stating that they were working on it. Dealer told me they heard the noise, then told Chevrolet that they can’t replicate it. That stopped my lemon law progress in its tracks. Luckily it’s quiet half the year as where I live we get winter and the heat definitely has an impact on the severity of the ticking.
The back an forth with Chevrolet left a really bad impression with me so I’ll ride out the ticking until I can replace the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2019 Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab V6
4 Posts
It seems that the difficulty with this ticking sounding like it is coming from the B-pillar issue is that it can apparently have at least one of multiple different causes. One should start examining each of the at least 3 I have identified so far. 1. The seatbelt system. 2. The B-pillar itself as referenced in the latest TSB. 3 The reported ticking from the rear door in crew cab models. I have exhausted 1 and 2. Interestingly, I have now been able to replicate the ticking noise in my driver’s side rear door. A prior contributor mentioned that issue being the case with his. I’m going to pursue that route...

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems that the difficulty with this ticking sounding like it is coming from the B-pillar issue is that it can apparently have at least one of multiple different causes. One should start examining each of the at least 3 I have identified so far. 1. The seatbelt system. 2. The B-pillar itself as referenced in the latest TSB. 3 The reported ticking from the rear door in crew cab models. I have exhausted 1 and 2. Interestingly, I have now been able to replicate the ticking noise in my driver’s side rear door. A prior contributor mentioned that issue being the case with his. I’m going to pursue that route...
It’s a pain in the ass to get into the rear drivers side corner of the cab. I wanted to strip the rear most trim out to get into the door catch area for the rear door and it was such a hassle I gave up because I didn’t want to break anything, and that’s with all the trim tools and tricks that I could muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally found the cause of the ticking sound in my particular truck. This rattle is so difficult to detect the source because it sounds like it is coming from the B-pillar. If I put my ear by the seatbelt opening, it sounds like it’s in there without a doubt. The issue is that these sounds transmit. Mine was simply the interior door panel of the driver’s door. I’ll attach a picture of it with blue shop towel inserted into the locations where the interior panel taps against the metal of the door....

·
Registered
4 Posts
That “fix” only worked for a few days. In my case, I believe there is something inside the B-pillar that is causing the noise

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
185 Posts
I heard this rattle the other day. I had my radio off for some reason and could detect a faint rattle which I believe was coming from the seat belt "hing" (the thing that adjusts up and down). If I pressed on that with my hand the noise went away. I decided to just turn my radio back on. 🤣 I'll do further inspection when time allows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm glad it worked out! I've since replaced the clothes peg with foam tape inside the door and pillar seams (see post #140) and the rattle has never come back. The tape is not visible to passengers and I can open the door without it falling out.
Hey can you take a picture of what you did id like To try this on my truck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey can you take a picture of what you did id like To try this on my truck
Hey Luke. Unfortunately the rattle came back after a while even with the tape job so I just removed the tape. The best I can do is the pics that are in my original post #140. I suspect the foam tape eventually compressed and so didn’t provide a long term solution. I’ve just gone back to wedging things in the rear door near the b pillar which helps. I see there are a couple things GM has done to try to fix this issue like installing bolts into the pillar and prying near the electrical connector but the results don’t seem to be too promising so I’ve just kinda moved on and live with it as annoying as it is. It’s only bad in the summer heat and whenever I’ve taken it in to the dealer they always say they cannot reproduce it and I just don’t have the patience or time to spend on it anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm glad it worked out! I've since replaced the clothes peg with foam tape inside the door and pillar seams (see post #140) and the rattle has never come back. The tape is not visible to passengers and I can open the door without it falling out.
While waiting for GM to come up with a fix for the B pillar rattle I have come up with my own fix of sorts which is an improvement on the clothes peg workaround I came up with in my previous post (post #114). I placed a couple 2" strips of 1/4" thick x 3/4" wide weather stripping tape behind the plastic trim on the rear door (which makes contact with the pillar when the door is closed). You can gently pry the plastic trim back and insert the strips of weather stripping tape underneath so they will not be seen, spacing them apart as desired. I also pealed back the rubber door gasket and placed a strip of 3/16" thick x 3/8" wide weather stripping tape along the b pillar seam and then covered it back up with the door gasket and I repeated this for the front door as well (probably overkill). This makes a tighter fit between the door and the pillar (like having something wedged in there) and has eliminated the rattle for me. The nice thing is that it is totally invisible, costs almost nothing and is easy to do. I hope it will work for others. I have attached some pictures to show where to place the tape. The weather stripping tape was purchased at Home Depot.
where did you purchase the weather stripping
Hey Luke. Unfortunately the rattle came back after a while even with the tape job so I just removed the tape. The best I can do is the pics that are in my original post #140. I suspect the foam tape eventually compressed and so didn’t provide a long term solution. I’ve just gone back to wedging things in the rear door near the b pillar which helps. I see there are a couple things GM has done to try to fix this issue like installing bolts into the pillar and prying near the electrical connector but the results don’t seem to be too promising so I’ve just kinda moved on and live with it as annoying as it is. It’s only bad in the summer heat and whenever I’ve taken it in to the dealer they always say they cannot reproduce it and I just don’t have the patience or time to spend on it anymore.
alright thanks sucks that we pay all this money for theses trucks and they come with such bad quality control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I think I may have narrowed my rattle down to the rear door upper hinge I loosened the bolts after tightening them as much as I could and I haven’t been able to get the tick sound does anyone know what the actual torque specs are for the rear door hinge bolts??

321 - 333 of 333 Posts