Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've decided to tell you my story of my ZR2 B-Pilliar rattle.

Just like some of you I had a stupid little bell sound right next to my ear coming from the B-Pillar / Seat Belt Adjuster. Mine was only present, at first when the temperatures were above 17 deg. Celcius. This starting occurring from 500 km on the truck and I was having no part of this rattling sound.

My 2018 ZR2 Deisel Colorado was sent in over 7 times and stayed at the dealership for over 3 months with me refusing to take it back. Things with GMC Canada became so aggressive that they had me speaking with a Director of Customer Service.

Total fixes tryed;
- Seat Belt Tensioner Replaced
- Tape added to the seat belt tensioner
- Screws installed
- B-Pilliar filled with Foam
- Rear door hinges removed and new screws / bolts installed
- Sheet metal seams reglued
- Foam installed

and finally, GMC Canada sent their engineer to the dealership as I was becoming less patient with GMC Canada. The only reason I did not completely lose it was my representative at the dealership was amazing to work with. Big thanks to R***i!

So the engineer found that it was actually a piece of hard plastic in the rear door which was transmitting the sound through the back-door hinges and up the pillar. This was confirmed as they changed the sound/tone so many times before getting to the bottom of it.

So simply, how do you fix it ...get really upset with GMC Canada, they will offer you a replacement truck to use till yours is fixed and compensation for the headache.

Please feel free to PM me and I will give you me VIN Number to have your dealer look at the repairs. Mine is 27 pages long.

The reason I will give you the VIN is that in the end, I refused the compensation, sold the truck as it was a very aggravating experience that I don't want other people going through. The ZR2 is a great truck but GMC North America SUCKS!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys,
So the engineer found that it was actually a piece of hard plastic in the rear door which was transmitting the sound through the back-door hinges and up the pillar.
Thanks for sharing your story. Do you have any more info on this tidbit in particular?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So what did they do with this "piece of hard plastic"? Remove it? Trim it? Lots of people would really like to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 - 1GCPTEE19J1197525

I received so many messages I've decided to say screw it and post my VIN! Please fight as GMC Canada Engineer came to the dealership to fix mine.

The hard plastic was 'reinstalled' but your dealers can look up the trucks VIN and see the actual work done ...all 27 pages.

Please let me know if your dealer is giving trouble and I will find a way of printing and posting the history and repair. GMC / CHEVY know they have a problem and YOU just have to fight to make them fix it!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts

I received so many messages I've decided to say screw it and post my VIN! Please fight as GMC Canada Engineer came to the dealership to fix mine.

The hard plastic was 'reinstalled' but your dealers can look up the trucks VIN and see the actual work done ...all 27 pages.

Please let me know if your dealer is giving trouble and I will find a way of printing and posting the history and repair. GMC / CHEVY know they have a problem and YOU just have to fight to make them fix it!!!!
I'm really glad your truck was fixed! I'm kinda curious as most people here don't have this problem. What made your truck different from mine and what caused it to rattle when I have never had this problem? What makes our truck builds different? Just curious. I have a 2016 Colorado Z71, V6, Extended Cab, 4x4. What should I watch out for in the future? Does this only happen to crew cabs?

P.S. After reading your previous post, I'm also curious why did you sell the truck after getting it fixed? I mean, in the end, it's just a rattle. Luckily my truck doesn't have any rattles but yours was fixed?

·
Registered
27 Posts

I can't get any useful info from my dealer about what may have been done to your truck. You'd be doing everyone with the rattle here an awesome service if you could help us understand what exactly was done to your truck... please!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Out of curiosity, anyone here experience this with the crew cab?

I have extended cab, experienced this almost instantly, and brought it to my dealer for it when I had an oil change scheduled i told them about the noise. They said they'd have to do a driving test to isolate it, as soon as he stepped up to my passenger side bbn I told him to open his door and let me close the drovers door and see if he could hear it, he did and I did this one more time, rattle was so noticable no driving test was needed

When I picked my truck up the mechanic himself told me a couple retaining clips were broken upon manufacturing and he happened to have a couple in stock. He also mentioned something about the clips having something to do with the adjustment mechanisms

Once replaced the noice is ALMOST gone, i can only hear a rattle when windows up and radio off on a rather bumpy road (three conditions that almost never happen)

This repair was almost 18 months ago and still holding up as well as when it was performed, hope this helps someone!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I can tell you mine still rattles.... been rattling since 500 miles, I’m at 8100 now.
That must suck. Why not take it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
It’s been there probably 7 times and the TSB was done and still does it.... waiting for another fix to pop up :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a good mechanic at a dealership takes apart the plastic on a B pillar and seat belt cover and can't find a rattle after 7 times? That sounds like a sh*tty dealership with bad mechanics. What the hell? I'd be pissed off. I bet you, you and I drinking a couple of beers and slowly taking the plastic off and looking inside could fix it in an afternoon. Just f*cked up mechanics nowadays. It's like no one gives a crap about making a customer happy anymore, after they have bought something.

Reactions: mpack

·
Registered
12 Posts
So a good mechanic at a dealership takes apart the plastic on a B pillar and seat belt cover and can't find a rattle after 7 times? That sounds like a sh*tty dealership with bad mechanics. What the hell? I'd be pissed off. I bet you, you and I drinking a couple of beers and slowly taking the plastic off and looking inside could fix it in an afternoon. Just f*cked up mechanics nowadays. It's like no one gives a crap about making a customer happy anymore, after they have bought something.
Believe me it’s aggravating AF. I’ve had it at two different dealers here in the Nashville area...it drives me insane!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve also had this rattle since the first couple weeks of ownership, drives me nuts. 3rd time at dealer TSB was done but no fix if anything it came back worse. So I took it back a 4th time and this last time they had it for 3 weeks. STILL NO FIX. They also gave me no paper work, they said we are having the engineer that wrote this TSB come out but they don’t know when so they gave me the truck back and supposedly left the case open. Going on a month and no call back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If had this ticking noise from the pillar on both sides since I purchased my truck and I finally have it resolved. The service department performed the service bulletin with the screws but that didn't work. I started the lemon law process and got to the point when GM was going to buy my truck back so I figured I might as well try to fix it myself. I didn't want to do anything myself sooner because I didn't want them to say i caused it and not cover it under the warranty.

If you pull the rubber weather stripping off the b piller, from the front and rear door sides, you will see a seam. This is where the outer and inner piller skins meet. Every couple of inches is a spot weld. What I believe is happening is whenever the cab flexes this seam can make a ticking noise. Not sure why. Either adhesive in the seam when it shouldn't be there, or not enough adhesive. I took a flat head screw driver and wedged it into this seam and twisted. Spreading the seam open between the spot welds so that the inner and outer seams no longer touched each other. I did this from top to bottom, and on the front door side and rear door side. It doesn't look pretty but once you put the weather stripping back on it will cover the seam and you won't know that it is bent open. I believe this is all that is needed, but while I was at it I also put dynomat on the be piller.

I've been driving around for over a month and haven't heard the tick once. There are plenty of other rattles but the ticking sound is gone. The seat belt adjuster still rattles and the rear passenger window rattles. Others may have these problems as well, but the ticking is definitely gone.

These photos are of the rear side of the passenger b pillar. I did open up more of the seam than shown in the photos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you start the lemon law process due to the B-pillar rattle or for other issues?

If had this ticking noise from the pillar on both sides since I purchased my truck and I finally have it resolved. The service department performed the service bulletin with the screws but that didn't work. I started the lemon law process and got to the point when GM was going to buy my truck back so I figured I might as well try to fix it myself. I didn't want to do anything myself sooner because I didn't want them to say i caused it and not cover it under the warranty.

If you pull the rubber weather stripping off the b piller, from the front and rear door sides, you will see a seam. This is where the outer and inner piller skins meet. Every couple of inches is a spot weld. What I believe is happening is whenever the cab flexes this seam can make a ticking noise. Not sure why. Either adhesive in the seam when it shouldn't be there, or not enough adhesive. I took a flat head screw driver and wedged it into this seam and twisted. Spreading the seam open between the spot welds so that the inner and outer seams no longer touched each other. I did this from top to bottom, and on the front door side and rear door side. It doesn't look pretty but once you put the weather stripping back on it will cover the seam and you won't know that it is bent open. I believe this is all that is needed, but while I was at it I also put dynomat on the be piller.

I've been driving around for over a month and haven't heard the tick once. There are plenty of other rattles but the ticking sound is gone. The seat belt adjuster still rattles and the rear passenger window rattles. Others may have these problems as well, but the ticking is definitely gone.

These photos are of the rear side of the passenger b pillar. I did open up more of the seam than shown in the photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After months of rattling, two dealerships, countless days in the shop, and one call to GM customer care.... my truck has been rattle free for two weeks (knock on wood). They ended up replacing the entire seat belt assembly inside the pillar (their words). It seems to be a success... only more time will tell. Meanwhile I’m happy to finally not hear the sound!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took out rear door upper hinge bolts that are in b pillar and shot spray foam insulation in. I also sprayed the insulation in from above the seat belt and seems to have cured mine!

·
Registered
2019 Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab V6
4 Posts
For those who haven’t yet given up on this B-pillar ticking issue, I have an update. There is a new technical service bulletin #20-NA-052 (released March 5, 2020). This Bulletin Replaces #19–NA-094 (the one that tried fixing the issue with 2 screws near the top of the B-pillar). Ok, now the bad news: I had this new bulletin procedure done on my 2019 ZR2 Crew Cab as a first try remedy and it did not solve the issue.

This is the text, without pictures, of the new procedure:

Condition

Some customers may comment on a ticking type noise heard coming from the center pillar upper trim panel structure, on bumpy roads. Though it can occur on either side of the vehicle, the noise is most commonly noted on the driver side.

Cause

The cause of the condition may be a flexing between the outer panel and the upper hinge inner reinforcement plate.

Correction

Following the steps in the Service Procedure below, create a slight clearance between the two sheet metal panels.

Service Procedure

Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Open the front door on the affected side, to be able to access the door electrical harness connector.

Remove the rubber weather boot (1) from the electrical harness connector.
Unlock and disconnect the connector (2).

Unclip inner connector sleeve by pushing in on tabs and gently push into pillar.

Note: The trim stick will need to be inserted approximately. 28 mm (1.1 in).

Using a slim trim stick, insert the trim stick into the top of the opening and slide it upward between outer the sheet metal and the inner hinge bracket.

Note: Only a slight flare to the outer sheet metal is needed to achieve the necessary clearance.

With trim stick inserted, pull out on the bottom of the stick, as shown in the graphic above. Remove the trim stick.

Using needle nose pliers, or a suitable tool, carefully grab the connector sleeve inside the pillar, ant align the lower tabs and lock the uppers in by pulling outward.

Reinstall the door harness connector and lock into place.
Reinstall the rubber weather boot.
Parts Information
No parts are required for this repair.

301 - 320 of 333 Posts