Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a rattle where the seat belt is attached to the side panel? It's basically ear level and I hear it once in awhile.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I get that as well. I don't hear it all the time, but when I do it bugs the crap out of me. I end up driving with my left hand holding the mount.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don't think so. Sounds like a driver seat belt rattle, with the shoulder harness portion coming out right at ear level.

Have you tried adjusting up or down to reduce or eliminate the rattle, determine the source?
drove me nuts the first 4000km then all the sudden went away, if you locate it and fix it let me know haha if it ever comes back i dont want to hunt for it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't hear it all the time but when I do it does bug the heck out of me. I hate to bother the dealership with little things but when you pay that much for a vehicle then I don't feel so bad.

Reactions: Jason1354

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have this and it's noticeable pretty frequently. Dealership ordered a new shoulder mount and are supposed to install it this week. We'll see if it fixes it.

Now I have some rattle coming from the passenger side that I've got to have my wife help me track down.

My steering wheel also "squeaks" when I turn it side to side. Not the standard "airbag rattle" but a rubbing/squeaking noise as I turn it. Dealership told me that engineering is working on a solution but I think they may have my issue confused with the airbag rattle.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I get this clicking , ticking sound too. I have found the source though in my case to be the weather seal at the top back corner of the door. I found this out one day when I was driving and just seemed to rest my hand in such a way that my hand was at the top back corner of the door. I stuffed my index finger between the door and the cab frame at the seal and it stopped making noise. I think because I used a paint sealant on the door jam itself that it causes the rubber to creak as the door shifts slightly in its jam over broken pavement.

I have not had the time to devise a solution yet but I think that if I remove the sealant applied to the paint in the jam, and use a gentle cleanser on the seal that it should fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I get this clicking , ticking sound too. I have found the source though in my case to be the weather seal at the top back corner of the door. I found this out one day when I was driving and just seemed to rest my hand in such a way that my hand was at the top back corner of the door. I stuffed my index finger between the door and the cab frame at the seal and it stopped making noise. I think because I used a paint sealant on the door jam itself that it causes the rubber to creak as the door shifts slightly in its jam over broken pavement.

I have not had the time to devise a solution yet but I think that if I remove the sealant applied to the paint in the jam, and use a gentle cleanser on the seal that it should fix the issue.
If you use a silicone spray on a rag and wipe down the rubber seals, that will take away any squeaking from the seals. I use to do this once or twice a year with my old Colorado. It works great and helps condition them. And it only takes five minutes of your time and the noises are gone. It was in the old drivers manual for a Colorado. Even WD40 works for this, but Chevy recommended using their brand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody else deal with this? I've been driving my new 2016 for less than a week. I can faintly hear a light rattle sound coming from somewhere around the shoulder belt assembly on the driver's side B-pillar. It's very quiet, barely audible. If the truck itself wasn't so quiet I'd never hear it. Troubling none the less.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Anybody else deal with this? I've been driving my new 2016 for less than a week. I can faintly hear a light rattle sound coming from somewhere around the shoulder belt assembly on the driver's side B-pillar. It's very quiet, barely audible. If the truck itself wasn't so quiet I'd never hear it. Troubling none the less.
Good Afternoon lombard,

We understand how concerns like these can be frustrating and we would like to assist you in any way that we can. If you wouldn't mind, please send us a private message that includes your VIN, full contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any updates on this?
I have this exact rattle as well. Somewhere in the B pillar. It is faint, but I can hear it none the less. It also occurs on the passenger side in the same location. Does seem to be behind the shoulder belt assembly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
has anyone figured it out? Dealer 'can't hear it', i guess it's probably just worth taking the cover off and seeing what could make the noise in there

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I had this in our GMC Terrain. It is the adjuster in the pillar for the seat belt.

The fix is to pack it with silicone grease first and then when it comes back they replace it.

Once they replaced ours it never came back.

The adjusters in all models can get loose and rattle and have done so for a while now. Replacement is the only real fix. They will try to tell you the silicone will work but it fails after a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cause and Solution!

It appears as though my problem with the issue may finally be resolved. I attached service notes from the dealer. But in a nutshell: Near the B pillar pass through connector, there are two pieces of sheet metal sandwiched together that were causing the rattle. There should be a small amount of space between the two pieces, but on my truck, there is little to no separation. Which is probably why I heard the noise mostly during warmer weather, as heat causes expansion. The techs at the body shop injected some 3M expandable foam in the area of the B-pillar pass through to eliminate the two pieces contacting each other.

Kudos to the service tech who took the time to thoroughly investigate and troubleshoot this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have the rattle as well. Will bookmark this page until it warms up more than 5 degrees. With our luck probably not until June :(

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 333 Posts