Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a gauge on the reliability so far for the Colorado/Canyon twins. I'm heavily considering purchasing a 2015 GMC Canyon (3.6L LFX, 6-speed, CCLW, 4x4), and I'm looking for reviews on the long-term reliability so far, as much as you can figure out reliability for a vehicle that is, at best, 4 years old.

Searching on the forums is kind of a biased sample (Since very few people post to just say 'My truck is working fine!'), and while I've noticed a few recurring issues, most either don't apply (8-speed problems) or are easy to accomodate for (Carbon buildups in the DI engines). That being said, what other problems are you guys having, and are they widespread? Or have most of you just had trucks that work as expected?

·
Registered
709 Posts
2015 Colorado, Crew Cab, Long Bed, z71

4wd, V6

135,000 miles

Original owner

A big stack of recall/service advisory type items that mostly hit the 1st year or two.

Battery
Alternator
Tranny mount
Leaking right rear axle seal
New rear brake pads

And I think that's about it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 2015 V6 RWD CCLB that was manufactured in November 2014. Here is a quick list of the things I saw:

- Check engine light on day 2. Cause was the bed crushing a vacuum hose against the frame (assembly issue from the factory). Hose replaced and correctly routed, no follow up issues
- Squeaky airbag on steering wheel. Shimmed by service center, and never heard it again.
- No heat (happened 2 times) due to a faulty mixer valve (ultimately became a TSB). Final fix was to use a hose clamp to reinforce the valve. No issues since.
- I've had the chuggle and reluctant throttle issues. There is a new TSB to reflash the computer to fix the shift points and throttle response. I plan to have the dealer perform the update based on the good response from other users on this forum.
Read through this thread: https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/209-2nd-gen-colorado-canyon-recalls/396411-gm-has-fixed-2015-16-transmission-service-bulletin-18-na-14-a.html
- Brought the truck in for assorted other recalls (wiring harness chafing, brake caliper leak, seat attachment, hood striker, power steering, etc.). None of these were actual issues on my truck, just checked per the recall and ok'ed by the service adviser.

I attribute everything above to being first model year issues. Also, everything mentioned above was within the first year.
It seems like the kinks have been worked out for the most part. You can have your local chevy/gmc dealer run the VIN and make sure that it has had all of the recalls applied. If not, they should be free to get checked out.

I've got 45,000 miles on the truck so far, and I'd say it has been reliable. I still love it.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
2016 3.6gasser with 17K. (3 years old this coming November)

Only problem Ive had is keeping my wallet filled with all the stupid stuff Ive done to mine.

Note....if mine got stolen tonight, Id go buy the identical truck tomorrow....... zero regrets or issues.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Damn, that is a lot of issues, but a LOT of miles in 4 years too.
I wouldn't consider those a "lot of issues", the tranny mount failed early and was easily repaired for free at the dealership.

It seems the alternator and battery deaths were connected and caused by an bad diagnosis.

Brakes at 110,000 sounds good to me.

The axle seal is of course not a unexpected Chevy issue, but again, at over 100,000 miles when it happened, not a complaint.

Very happy with this truck, in fact it's going to Africa next year.

I

·
Registered
236 Posts
After 2 years and 45k miles, my main issues have been an infotainment system that needed replaced (just before warranty expired) and my fuel door cover that came off and got lost while driving that cost me $100 to replace (included painting). Will be getting first new set of tires this fall. 50k on the originals isn't bad, IMO. Brakes still going good. No other problems.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
2.5 yrs and 40k miles been in shop every 4 months for various issues from transmission shifting to dead batteries to idiot lights flashing, NAV taking me places that dont exist, too much air in the tires, fuel tank wont stay full, headlights always stay on...believe it or not

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
2015 Canyon, 71K miles, Built around January, 2015, so an early truck.

Had the Electronic Power Steering rack fail, replaced in first 45 days or so.

Hood Flutter issue resolved.

Solenoid Purge Valve replaced right outside of warranty - so I need to get the refund on that one from dealer.

Replaced battery pretty quick, maybe 2 years?

Replaced original tires at 69K.

The acceleration issues seem to come & go, seem worse last few weeks. Heat may make problem worse?

Driver seat leather cracked the other day where it gets compressed along the side: I knew when I slid out the way the seat collapsed it was going to crack the leather.

Likely to replace rear bumper in next few weeks after the guy rear ended me.

Other than that, changed oil, changed transmission fluid, changed diff fluid. May consider radiator flush.

Changed air filters: Reminding me that I need to check both the engine and HVAC filters soon. Maybe I will get up real early one morning.

·
Registered
488 Posts
22,000 miles. Had the trans flashed twice to fix the shuddering and driver's seat cover replaced because of small tear at one of the seams. That's it. So far so good. Looking to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
28000 miles.

A couple ECU flashes at dealer regarding error code sensitivity.
Infotainment update at dealer to resolve black screen/lockup.
Dangling/loose/chafing wiring harnesses that I corrected myself.
Numerous rattles I corrected myself.
The shocks seem a little lazy for 28k miles.
A number of other things I adjusted to my preference but wouldn't call a defect.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Leased Feb. 2015 (after purchasing 3500 lb. travel trailer Sept. 2014). Never owned a domestic brand, let alone a pickup truck.

-3k Front seat hooks recall
-9.7k Air conditioning failed while towing on a hot, hot interstate in July—no problem found and has never re-occurred (2015)
-14k Power steering assist recall
-19k Trailer hitch recall inspection (all good)
-26k HVAC module temp door recall
-31k Replaced 1 license plate light
-45k Replaced purge solenoid after engine light warning
-49k Replaced rear brakes and rotors + 50k service incl. transmission fluid change (that was an expensive day)
-51k Replaced OEM tires last month
-Had the hood flex looked at (well documented here) but I never showed up to claim fix kit when it arrived at dealer
-Engine stalled twice within a few months shortly after starting in 2016—dealer adjusted idle and no re-occurrence since
-Replaced air dam after parking-by-feel incident

Dec. 2017 purchase truck outright. As you can see, more Chevy-induced recalls than any real (or self-inflicted) problems. This vehicle has been an absolute joy to own.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2018 Z71. Transmission shifting poorly and shuddering, Tire pressure sensor system failure (at 25miles on the clock). Complaint now is the drive by wire "hesitation".

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine was built 10/31/14 and I took it from the dealer on November 14th. I've got the same truck you're looking at: 2015 V6 SLT CC LB.

So far I've got 36k miles on the truck and, although I was apprehensive about a new model year purchase, I have to say I don't regret it one bit. Much of my long miles have been in the high heat & humidity here in Central FL. I was in an accident last october so I've got a new Right wheel, fender, headlight and some of the other things, but the damage was just cosmetic. I just had to have my touchscreen replaced, and a few squeaks & rattles fixed but nothing major. I also have a knocking in the engine (at least that's what it sounds like), but they tell me it's nothing and it's fixed/quieted by using a higher octane or upping my mileage/week. Go figure.

Overall, a great truck although I haven't put on many miles yet.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I am surprised by the guys/gals with the 14/15 versions as those had a notorious issue with blowing that one oil line. I suppose the ones that commented had that replaced as a recall but I hadnt noticed it being mentioned.

·
Registered
150 Posts
2017 Z71 V-6, CCSB, 18000 miles. Had a slight noise in the A/C that was corrected a while back. Recently, the transmission shudder was corrected as well. Aside from that, I love this truck.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts