21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Buy a ZR2 and be done with it.
I considered it, but decided against for a few reasons:
1. ZR2 can't have the safety package.
2. It's more off-road capable than I need, so why would I pay more for something I don't need?
3. Options I mentioned above are available on the cheaper Z71.
4. I prefer fog lights

If a ZR2 has the right options and is available at a comparable price to the Z71s on the market, then I'll consider it, but I want to start my search by looking for the cheapest model that can offer the capability I'll need. And if something better is available for a similar price, all the better!

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
I considered it, but decided against for a few reasons:
1. ZR2 can't have the safety package.
2. It's more off-road capable than I need, so why would I pay more for something I don't need?
3. Options I mentioned above are available on the cheaper Z71.
4. I prefer fog lights

If a ZR2 has the right options and is available at a comparable price to the Z71s on the market, then I'll consider it, but I want to start my search by looking for the cheapest model that can offer the capability I'll need. And if something better is available for a similar price, all the better!
Be aware, the ZR2 has a lower towing capacity, I suspect you want to stick with the Z71s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Be aware, the ZR2 has a lower towing capacity, I suspect you want to stick with the Z71s.
I imagine a Miata and a U-haul flat bed would be well within the capacity for both, but that's true.

On the topic of towing, as a would-be first time truck owner, I'm not privy to the dos/don'ts of towing and loading a truck. Is there a good thread on here that walks those rules so I can educate myself? I can search myself, but I figured I'd ask since it came up.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
. Best to get the Bose System also.
Definitely plan to hear it before buying. But couldn't you make the argument that if I had the Bose system, I wouldn't need to modify it down the road since it's already a premium sound system?
To date I still have not heard the BOSE system in the Collies. But I know for a fact that if you want ground shaking music, then you are wasting your money starting out with the BOSE system since you would just be ripping it out.
The BOSE system can be minimally upgraded so if its decent enough for you, then go that route. But if its
'let me piss off the guy 3 doors down" type of music you're looking for, then skip it.

Also, as far as the spray in liner......the factory one also has the cool bow-tie built into it. :ROFLMAO: :p

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
In the 2020's, you can't get Bose without the nav. They are a matched set, even though they are listed separately. You can't order one without the other. You can order it with the upgraded radio system, without Bose or nav, and then add nav at home.

I have the factory spray in bed liner. But I don't like it that much. It's a hard plastic material, shiny, and very slippery. Not a rubber like material at all. If I didn't have a bed drawer, I'd have an aftermarket material applied over it. Should be easy to clean, though.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I agree with the OP, building a truck that suits his needs and not paying extra for a lot of options that he will never use. Money is hard to come by these days.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is always interesting to see what's important to different buyers.
In '17 my must's were:
4x4, built-in Brake Controller, extended cab, no leather
Dealer first tried to sell me a "dealer installed" aftermarket brake controller . . .
After educating that factory installed was available (not common on Colorado in 17)
They did an area search and found one, as in one, truck with my four must's

So I'm driving a Red Z71 and loving it. A higher trim package then my historical rides.
Have only added (recently) the available GM Brand ZR2 skid plates as it's got everything and more I'll ever need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It is always interesting to see what's important to different buyers.
In '17 my must's were:
4x4, built-in Brake Controller, extended cab, no leather
Dealer first tried to sell me a "dealer installed" aftermarket brake controller . . .
After educating that factory installed was available (not common on Colorado in 17)
They did an area search and found one, as in one, truck with my four must's

So I'm driving a Red Z71 and loving it. A higher trim package then my historical rides.
Have only added (recently) the available GM Brand ZR2 skid plates as it's got everything and more I'll ever need.
Yeah, I definitely recognize that the dealers have a better search function than I do with the Chevrolet website and CarGurus and such, so when I'm in a position to pull the trigger, I'm sure they'll find something for the right price.
This conversation has helped me identify what those must haves are, so I know what I can do later and what I can't compromise on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My '18 Z71 V6 CCSB has all those options you spoke of, Bose, Trailering, Leather, LED Bed lights (which are handy under the bed cover) and a spray in bed liner. I pull a 5500 pound Lance 20 ft travel trailer with it and I would not consider it without the OEM trailering package with the brake controller. The dashboard readout works well. I've been generally happy with the Bose, this is my second Gen 2 Colorado which also had Bose. It has some handy adjustments for driver position and such. For a factory system it works well as long as you don't need the car 2 lanes over to hear your music.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2018 Z71 Diesel. When I was going to make a couple of trips from California to Florida to tow a car back I did a couple of checks and an upgrade. Mostly to the rear end! First, the factory gear oil was junk. I checked it and it just seemed to be not right, so I drained it and found various stuff in it. So I filled it with fresh fluid of what I had in the garage since I hadn't planned on replacing the fluid with new. I send what was drained in for oil analysis and my concerns were correct, it had a lot of water and basically dirt in it. I ordered an aluminum cover for it to add some volume and help with cooling. When I put that new cover on I put Redline 75W/90 in it. I can tell you that the rear end ran great, smooth, and cooler on both trips. The maximum surface temperature of the housing when I checked it after pulling a long hill in Arizona with a 5,000 LB trailer load was 184 degrees F.

The biggest thing I can recommend however is to be sure you get the Bose sound system. The standard one sucks big time if you like music at all. My truck was the only one I could find with the Diesel and Z71 package and Berliner. The only thing it didn't have was the Bose. You want the upgraded sound system.... trust me. I spent about $1,200 to upgrade mine and now the turns signal noise is extra loud and annoying

Enjoy...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts