Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you ext cab owners out there. Do you find that there is excessive door movement due to way the front doors latch to the rear doors? I've had my Colorado for for about 19 months and make frequent trips to my home in Joshua Tree where there are a fair amount of dirt roads. Under certain road conditions, there is so much movement that the doors make a flappy sounding noise. You can even see the movement. I've taken it to the dealer several times and they say that they cannot reproduce the effect and that they checked the latches and there is no adjustment. However, I noticed right after they "inspected" it, that all 3 bolts of the bottom latch of the rear door were loose. Tightening them helped quite a bit, but the movement still exists for both doors. I fear this is an engineering issue and that it cannot be corrected. Or perhaps the 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon was not tested enough. A couple of days ago, I just noticed that housing on both of these rods on the rear doors are cracked in half (see picture). Surely, this is a major concern.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
How come the dealer didn't see the bolts or the cracks in the rods? Sucks. Anyhow, I have an extended cab and don't have any noise or movement from them after two years. They even feel tighter than the last two, first generation extended cab Colorados I owned. Mine are so tight I have to close them pretty hard. Hope you can get that fixed.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I've only had my ext cab four months but the rear doors are very tight. Other then tire and exhaust noise this truck is a tomb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve had mine for a year and 20k miles, only thing I’ve noticed is that if I don’t close doors firmly, when I am cornering I will get dinging, the overhead light will come on and door open warning will briefly flash. I have to stop and re-close the door. Otherwise seems to be fairly tight. There is a GM bulletin out that I saw when this first happened that described how to adjust door close mechanism to stop a continuous door open light; I just stumbled on it when I googled “door open light on gmc extended cab canyon”- at least I think that is the search term I used. But as I remember it did describe a procedure to tighten rear door closing mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, there's a thread here too about the extended cab doors warning going off. I had it a couple of times when the truck was new. Probably the rubber seals were so tight. I followed the recommended tip of holding the doors close to the bottom when closing and it works fine. No more door warning light. Also, as the doors get broken in I'm sure they close better. I guess my lock at the bottom wasn't catching all the way when the truck was new. These doors shut really tight for me with no rattles or noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After about a year I noticed I had a noise from the drivers rear door. The noise was coming from low down when hitting large bumps, like poor rail crossings, so I adjusted the latch on the door sill.
Moved it in slightly to make the rear door fit a bit tighter, no more noise since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No problem here after 2.5 years with my 2015 Canyon. Also have experienced having to close those doors hard in order to avoid the 'door open' message. I think the seals are getting worn in and I don't have to slam them near as often any more.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mine are also tight, after 26k miles, some of that is going down rough trails in the desert.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Never had that problem in 2 years/30K with my ext cab. Went down many farm roads with washboard and wash outs with nary a rattle.

·
Read Only
76 Posts
I've had my 2016 for almost a year- When I hit some pretty rough expansion joints here in Mass- I get what I have perceived as noises coming from the fact there may be either movement in the doors, or some level of shaking in the Cab itself due to not having a "fixed" pillar between the doors such as a Crew Cab would.

This is my first Extended Cab- and I would have assumed that some of that noise or movement would be inherent in the design.

Thx
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.