Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 ZR2 diesel with OEM Qi charger wont charge my iPhone X. When you search for solutions you find that chevy’s execution is hit or miss. Some models work, some don’t.

I was disappointed as this was a key convenience feature. Has anyone tried retrofitting something out of a 2018 Suburban or similar? Any luck pursuing through dealer?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/24/will-my-wireless-car-charger-work-with-the-iphone-8-x/

-justin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don’t have my phone yet, but since I use CarPlay most of the time I’m not too concerned. I was looking forward to having the wireless charging though. I assume you could take it apart and re-engineer it to have a stronger signal. I doubt the dealership will be much help.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I read the other day our truck is not Qi.

GM is upgrading models but the only ones I recall listed were 2018 Tahoe and Yukon along with a few other models.

The Colorado and a Canyon 17 and 18 will not work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the other day our truck is not Qi.

GM is upgrading models but the only ones I recall listed were 2018 Tahoe and Yukon along with a few other models.

The Colorado and a Canyon 17 and 18 will not work.

This is a bit of bait and switch. It says, and I was told Qi wireless charging.

Going to register an issue and then do a bit more research.

-Jaz

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Who the Dealer?

GM never said what future phones would work and the dealers good luck there as they know less than most buyers.

The future will be a rocky road for technology as it changes so fast. The new x will be out dated in a year and many will still have their new Suburban 5-10 years from now.

Most vehicles will remain up to date a short time and few mfg will be able to keep up as the phone companies release little info and move fast.

I look at the screen in my 2012 GMC and my 2017 2017 and it is so different and better in the 2017. 5 years from not it will be so outdated.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what works for those unsure.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/24/will-my-wireless-car-charger-work-with-the-iphone-8-x/

There are currently only nine compatible models across these four manufacturers:

2018 GMC Terrain
2018 GMC Yukon
2018 GMC Sierra
2018 Chevrolet Bolt
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe
2018 Chevrolet Silverado
2018 Chevrolet Suburban
2018 Cadillac Escalade
2018 Buick Enclave

Can Any of you part jockeys post a picture of the 2018 GMC Terrain console and let me know if you think I can order the Qi charger parts from a 2018 Terrain and replace those in my 2017 ZR2?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Can Any of you part jockeys post a picture of the 2018 GMC Terrain console and let me know if you think I can order the Qi charger parts from a 2018 Terrain and replace those in my 2017 ZR2?
Might be easier to wait till the refresh next year and see if it is included then in the trucks. It would be much cleaner and easier.

It is not like you had it and lost it or even have no place to plug in.

The X battery is much improved too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In what universe is Apple inclusive of non-proprietary tech they didn't develop and charge you out the ass for?
Confused, Qi is non-proprietary... The issue here is that Chevy says they support Qi, but they aren't meeting the standard for most of their vehicles.

According to Chevy's 2017 ZR2 brochure: "10 The system wirelessly charges one PMA- or Qi-compatible mobile device. Some devices require an adaptor or back cover. To check for phone or other device compatibility, visit my.chevrolet.com/learn for details."

According to Apple: "The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus."

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Confused, Qi is non-proprietary... The issue here is that Chevy says they support Qi, but they aren't meeting the standard for most of their vehicles.

According to Chevy's 2017 ZR2 brochure: "10 The system wirelessly charges one PMA- or Qi-compatible mobile device. Some devices require an adaptor or back cover. To check for phone or other device compatibility, visit my.chevrolet.com/learn for details."

According to Apple: "The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus."

Note products are subject to change by the time they reach production and the brochure has a disclaimer covering it.

The early photos of the 2015 has duel zone and CD players but not in production.

With technology today your phone is out of date in a year so your car will always be behind now if not now very soon.

At least they did not change the connectors so the lightning cords still work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2018 ZR2 does not wirelessly charge my IPhone X. Dealer could care less even though I was assured it would since it has Apple Play.
If it is like my Note 8, the size is way to big. they made the Qi charger for an Iphone 4S size then said let's leave off the LED headlights, garage door opener since we have given them that new Qi tech..lol. And dual zone climate control on a $45,000+ that's just crazy.for the past two hours I haven't had a rental car that doesn't have dusk zone climate and those are sub $30,000 vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
The systems out now are now going to be out dated at the FCC just approved charging systems that just need to be close now.

This was why I did not get worked up on this.

If you keep a truck 10 years you phone by then may not even work with you dash. Just look at were we were 10 years ago to now. Technology is moving faster than trucks rust.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.