Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a suspicion that at 60k miles, my rear shocks were not performing optimally so I decided to tackled their replacement as the first stage of my suspension refurbishment project . I just used a pair of basic eibach rear shocks . I'm still running clapped out stock shocks (to be replaced shortly)

The ranchos that I took out were pretty much on their last legs .. compressible by hand and arguably not dampening very well .

After replacing the shocks , I immediately noticed a more controlled / supple ride even with the rest of the suspension stock (for now)

PS:
If you aren't running a diesel, I'd rate this procedure as a 1 beer level of difficulty .
If you do have a diesel, just take the extra effort to drop the rear tire, heat shield and loosen all the DEF tank bolts before working the top shock bolt out . This diversion is a good excuse to consume an extra 2 beers

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 Summit White
107 Posts
Would it be against the rules to utilize the diversion on a gas powered unit? (asking for a friend)

• Haha
Reactions: tex2018

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Why did your truck have ranchos? Stocks are just AC Delcos I think. Or GM generics. z71s didnt get ranchos like the silverados I believe

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did your truck have ranchos? Stocks are just AC Delcos I think. Or GM generics. z71s didnt get ranchos like the silverados I believe
My bad. but whatever these had don't dampen much any more .. Truck was used but not abused and I've decided to replace / upgrade proactively keeping in mind my 80/20 on/off road usage

Fronts still seem "ok" but given that I'm replacing the rear leaf packs (OME spec. a nominal 1" lift), the fronts are going to be too low without at least a mild lift

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
549 Posts
I drive a 2015 crew V6 2wd. Around 60 - 65K one of the front struts started leaking. It worked fine I guess until it leaked out completely. After that the truck drove, in my opinion, like crap. So I had it replaced with an OEM part. Immediately noticeable improvement over the worn out ride, which was to be expected. Not too much later I replaced the other front strut. Was really hoping to notice an even more improved ride but it wasn't much different.

somewhere between 65K and 70K (I'm at 73K now) I replaced the rear shocks because I thought they might be worn out, or getting close also. I was not super pleased with the ride, but I thought even just replacing them with new OEM AC Delco shocks should make for a noticeable improvement. In the end, it didn't do a dang thing to improve the ride, much to my disappointment. I guess the rears where not actually worn out like I had hoped. When I pulled them off, I did compress them, and they did come back on on their own, albeit slowly. When I compressed the new ones, I was a bit surprised as they seemed to compress just as easy (if not easier!) than the old ones. I was expecting a bit more resistance. But I put them on anyways. Now I wish that maybe I had spent a bit more and gotten better aftermarket rear shocks.

I truly believe that a good portion of the ride quality issues I have is due to the set of summer tires I'm running, but the truck just doesn't seem settled at all. Instead it wants to bounce over all the bumps. I'd love to settle it down a bit with better shocks, if that is possible.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The stock rears on my brand new '22 Canyon aren't worth replacing yet for me. But then again it's just my daily driver. They get the job done.

I was going to replace with some Bilstein 4600's but could not justify cost for upgrading the new stock GM ones on the truck. So, I hate to admit this, I bought some Golden Sunset, Rust-Oleum American Accents 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Spray Paint and painted them. Pretty much identical in color to the B's. :sneaky: Left shock is the one that can be seen easily.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I truly believe that a good portion of the ride quality issues I have is due to the set of summer tires I'm running, but the truck just doesn't seem settled at all. Instead it wants to bounce over all the bumps. I'd love to settle it down a bit with better shocks, if that is possible.
Sounds like you may benefit from a rear anti-sway bar if you think it's unsettled. I put the Hellwig rear bar on my truck when it was fairly new because I knew I'd want it. The only negative is that it reduces your rear articulation pretty significantly offroad. Backing out of my driveway is when it's most noticeable for me, but my truck is a pavement queen that I'd much rather have corner tightly and be stable at speed. It will also benefit you while trailering if that's something you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts