Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently have the the Pro Comp Nitro Leveling lift kit which did 3 inches to the front and 2 to the rear by using a combo of a body lift and rear leveling. I purchased and installed this almost immediately after buying my truck so i could fit my larger tires, however as this is my first time owning a truck I am now realizing this was simply a "quick fix" and not the proper way to better my suspension. I currently rub at almost full lock as well, nothing major but its annoying as hell sometimes. Also im running 275/70/18 KO2's on the midnight edition wheels from chevy, as i just purchased those tires i really dont want to have to replace them due to many of the proper suspension lifts (BDS for example) saying they are not compatible due to backspacing? Would spacers fix this and allow me to keep my rims?

So my question to my fellow Colorado drivers is how to I properly fix this? I know there will be many opinions and different ways to achieve this so let me tell you my goals:
1- I am looking to get my full turning radius back
2- Achieve better suspension then stock (im not a rock crawler by any means but i do it enough where i want better travel etc)
3- not go beyond a 5 inch lift (I just dont want a huge lift its not my personal pref)
4- Reliability

I am looking to buy everything this black Friday for hopefully better deals so I am trying to develop my game plan now, I will have a $2,500 budget to work with. I am looking forward to all of your answers.

From what ive been able to figure out myself it looks like i should grab better upper control arms? As any route i take will just continue to strain the stock ones and i want reliability for years to come from this setup, is that a good move? I was eyeing the baja kits for 899 as listed here: 15+ Chevy Colorado 2WD & 4WD Upper Control Arm | Baja Kits

I think thats a first good move but beyond that I am lost, I wanted to get the BDS 5.5 inch full suspension lift however it says i cannot use my wheels with that due to them being 18 inch rims. Is there any way around that? here is their listing:
2015-2017 Chevy / GMC Colorado/Canyon 5.5"" lift kit 722H | BDS Suspension

Sorry for being long winded but thank you ahead of time for your answers and i look forward to learning much more from all of you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
With your current setup I would go with spacers.

Any lift larger than what you already have is going to require changing your wheels unfortunately. Even the RC 4in lift needs aftermarket wheels hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are saying spacers will solve my turning radius issue? (Assuming I get the correct size, I believe 2 inch will be what I need) Also what are your thoughts on the upper control arms, everything I read was saying that's a must have for ppl wanting to set up suspension the correct way with any lift beyond about 3 inches. Please elaborate for me if you don't mind, I'm new to the truck game lol. Came from a 2011 Z4 and a 98 RX7 before that, then a R33 gtst before that lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really like my Rough Country 4 inch lift. The hardware seems to restore correct geometry to the front end parts. and it drives really nicely. It's about $940 which leaves you plenty $ for new wheels if you need them. My tires are same size as yours. The wheels I have give a 1" offset. Even with the lift and the offset, rubbing against the front edge of the front wheel wells was still a problem. See my posting about how I dealt with this: http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-...on-front-bumper-waffle-cure-tire-rubbing.html

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
So are saying spacers will solve my turning radius issue? (Assuming I get the correct size, I believe 2 inch will be what I need) Also what are your thoughts on the upper control arms, everything I read was saying that's a must have for ppl wanting to set up suspension the correct way with any lift beyond about 3 inches. Please elaborate for me if you don't mind, I'm new to the truck game lol. Came from a 2011 Z4 and a 98 RX7 before that, then a R33 gtst before that lol.
I'm no lift expert but from my observations the spacers will probably solve the rub on full lock but it will also bring the tire closer to the inner fenders at part turn. So, it might just move your rub problem to the fender from the frame and/or sway bar. I would much rather rub at the frame or sway myself. This is just a theory, others might know for sure. I have read of a way to combat the rub on the sway bar by moving it's mounts (some kind of spacer), if that is the problem. The frame of coarse can't be moved.

As for the UCA it's not going to change the rub, but it will be stronger and the ball joint will be at a better angle I suppose. So, not really fixing anything as far as the rubbing goes.

The "correct" way to lift to get away from rubbing would be a 4" lift I think. But yes, it seams you need different wheels?? :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was looking at the bds suspension again and it recommends the following (plz see attached pic). Could I keep my tires and simply replace the rims to get more back spacing? I just don't see how an 18 inch rim wouldn't fit but a 17 or 20 would? Can someone explain to me thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This is only the case of you are trying to lift that much with spacers. The reason is because spacers are making your suspension sit deeper down in it's droop range, rather than its mid travel range as designed. The droop, or down travel, of the control arms is controlled by the shock. So when you use a spacer to move the shock down, it allows them to droop further than it was designed to, and this is what is bad for your ball joints.

A proper suspension lift relocates the lower control arm mount points lower, and replaces the spindle with one that is extended at the top to reach the upper control arm which stays in its stock location. In this way the arms stay at their proper, as-designed angles. Thus no extra stress on any components. It all moves exactly the same as stock, it is just connected lower down on the truck so the truck sits higher.
So I was looking at the bds suspension again and it recommends the following (plz see attached pic). Could I keep my tires and simply replace the rims to get more back spacing? I just don't see how an 18 inch rim wouldn't fit but a 17 or 20 would? Can someone explain to me thanks!
The reason stock wheels won't fit with the lift is due to the extended spindle. The stock wheel would hit the extended part of it. The fix for this is either an offset that moves the wheel outward far enough to clear the spindle, a larger diameter wheel, or combination of both. The problem with these trucks is the small wheel openings. If you tried to clear it with just a different offset, then you start hitting and rubbing on the fender. Especially with the bigger tires that go with the lift. So the alternative is a bigger wheel that will fit over the spindle.

Hope that all makes sense!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your excellent reply, I'm tracking everything you said. So now since I absolutely do not want to throw away money in the great tires I already purchased I think I'll leave things the way they are but get the Upper Contol Arms with spacers and put the rest of the piney into a full sound system and some other cosmetic items such as blacked out front rear lights and a light bar in the grill. Then once my tires are worn I will replace the whole suspension and buy larger rims. Thanks all for your help I do appreciate it! Will post pics once I get back home and install everything

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just looked up your tires, and see they are basically 33"x10.50. I would bet if you put 2" spacers behind your wheels you are going to see some serious rubbing on your fenders.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the more I think about it the more I am concerned about that exact issue. Just sucks I am deployed for the next 5 months so it's very hard to figure it all out since I don't have the luxury of just taking it to a shop before/on Black Friday. I know there has to be 18 inch wheels with enough back spacing that will allow the bds suspension to work. I may just email the company directly and see if they will respond to me. For rims I really like the method racing 306's and they come in 18s with all kinds of different backspacing sizes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.