Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those that didn't catch round one:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-...-forum/236065-680-miles-too-many-time-v8.html

We took a 2015 2WD extended cab Colorado, lowered it, put adjustable shocks all around, coilovers up front, added a rear sway bar, and a 450hp LS3 V8.

Now for round 2.

We have a 5.3L L83 engine which makes a base 355hp. We're swapping in an LT4 Camshaft, and bolting on a Garrett ball bearing turbo.

So far we have learned that the bolt pattern on the Gen V engine mount is different from the LS, so we can't just re-use the mounts we made.

Should make for a fun ride when it's finished up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm curious what transmission you'll be using as well.

Reactions: jeter33

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple reasons really.
1. I've never done a turbo before.
2. People seem to be having lots of success with turbos on these engines.
3. Mostly because I've never done a turbo before, thought it might be fun.

We are re-using the 6L80E that was behind the LS3.

·
Registered
216 Posts
after this swap you need to do an LS7 with a 6 speed......."Project Colorado Z28"

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Couple reasons really.
1. I've never done a turbo before.
2. People seem to be having lots of success with turbos on these engines.
3. Mostly because I've never done a turbo before, thought it might be fun.

We are re-using the 6L80E that was behind the LS3.

Is that a Holden/Caprice version transmission? I really like the police car shift software and firmness. You know you are gonna need a roll cage now when you go to the drag strip. :grin2:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that a Holden/Caprice version transmission? I really like the police car shift software and firmness. You know you are gonna need a roll cage now when you go to the drag strip. :grin2:
Technically yes, it is from a G8. Just changed the output shaft to a slip yolk.
I'll only need a roll bar if I want to actually compete. :wink2:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy to see more updates on your project. Any HP or TQ numbers you're shooting for? Done anything else for the engine install lately too?
Not really shooting for anything specific, it'll make whatever it makes. Nothing yet with the new engine, got customer's cars to get done first.
Put an LT4 cam in the engine, that's about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say LT4 cam, are you referring to the LT4 cam from the '96-'97 Corvette GS?

If so, I'd think there are much better cams that would work better with your turbo than that cam. A guy by the name of Lloyd Elliot does nice billet cams and can custom grind one to your needs/desires that I'd think would be very turbo friendly. Here's his site if interested: http://elliottsportworks.com.

If you are talking a different generation LT motor/cam, please disregard completely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When you say LT4 cam, are you referring to the LT4 cam from the '96-'97 Corvette GS?
If so, I'd think there are much better cams that would work better with your turbo than that cam. A guy by the name of Lloyd Elliot does nice billet cams and can custom grind one to your needs/desires that I'd think would be very turbo friendly. Here's his site if interested: http://elliottsportworks.com.
If you are talking a different generation LT motor/cam, please disregard completely.

I believe he is referring to the newest LT4 motor that comes in the C7 z06. Base C7 vette is a gen 5 LT1 if I recall correctly. I didn't recognize the L83, but that is another gen V motor after reading more of the OP.

Truck is going to be a speed demon with that garrett. OP, take a look at BorgWarner EFR turbos before you fab the kit for your current turbo, I promise you wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, referring to the new supercharged LT4:
GM 6.2 Liter Supercharged V8 LT4 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority

Adjustable shocks are QA1 double adjustable.

Looked at Borg Warner, Precision, etc. etc.
In the end, the shop that is going to help fab up the parts for the install has done a ton of turbo stuff, and has been through lots of good and bad with them. They are the ones that helped me piece together the items for this setup, and already picked up the one from Garret. I'm sure it will be plenty for what I'm wanting to accomplish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Okay, so we are trying to find the time to get back on this thing again and be ready for LS Fest coming up in September.
Got the L83 set in place, found out the stock truck oil pan won't fit, so had to trade out for a Corvette pan, which by the way, is not cheap. The oil pan does come with the oil cooler attached to it which was nice, but it won't fit, it hits the engine mount on the driver's side.
After searching and dreaming about what front end accessory drive was going to fit best, I finally settled on the 2016 Camaro and I think the accessory drive is going to be great especially where we need room for the turbo.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.