Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
@;
2019 when the twins get some competition from the ford ranger i expect it will be a great time to buy a truck

I do not see much movement in prices unless supplies are large.

Ford is not going to be discounting a new truck either.

I see GM doing a refresh for 2019 and sweetening the package with added content an$ options with updated styling.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The auto industry is slowing down. Sales are low and the mfg are Channel Stuffing their dealerships. Each car on every lot are counted as sold. As far I know, Ford are shutting some plants to reduce inventory.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...k1j0i22i10i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.191.-Rt1Qr56D7c

Will be a buyers market, just be patience, I am.

Anyway... the US Econony is a joke, the Stock Market is fake, propped by cheap money of the Fed Reserve, buybacks and Central Banks stock purchases. Worldwide, nations are dumping the Dollar like a hot potato and when all that confetti comes back to the USA, hyperinflation will set in like Germany before WW2. Will be a Bond Market debacle and another Real State bubble.

Nasty times ahead.....

The other day. Went to the dealer for an free oil change. Started to negociate on a new truck. Had a 17 Diesel, the way I wanted for low 30s. Walked out on the deal even they gave me 25k for my 16. Told them, when they are ready to come down some more, we will talk. Anyway... I am in no hurry to trade.

Is a joke, if you can fog a mirror, you can get a loan. That is how desperate they are.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, will be interesting to see what shows up!

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I want my Colorado to be my forever truck, but if Ford puts the 2.7L turbo engine in the Ranger I will bail ship in a second. The 2.3 turbo I would have to think about but that 2.7... hot damn, the torque is instant and ludicrous, and thats stock in an F150. The ranger would be a rocket ship with that motor.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
For me, and I know this might sound strange but I kind of get attached to my vehicles and as long as they serve my purpose I don't go looking for the next best thing and get caught up in marketing hype because tying to keep up with the Joneses', so to speak, can be a never ending expensive battle. Personally, I get a good laugh at people who will line up for days, even camp, to buy the next best gadget.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
For me, and I know this might sound strange but I kind of get attached to my vehicles and as long as they serve my purpose I don't go looking for the next best thing and get caught up in marketing hype because tying to keep up with the Joneses', so to speak, can be a never ending expensive battle. Personally, I get a good laugh at people who will line up for days, even camp, to buy the next best gadget.
preach

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I do not expect prices to come down on the Twins even with newer competition, except for the odd special 20% sales and clearance units here and there as there have been.

Even with slower car and truck sales now, there are some rebates on the higher priced loaded models, but little on medium priced and well selling models like the Twins. Even in the economy car class, prices are staying up there.

I think there may be several reasons for this. For one, profit margins are tighter these days than 8 or 9 years ago, and discounts are smaller especially when compared to 10 or 12 years ago. We bought a 2005 Malibu in December 2004 and got $8,000 off a $24,700 MSRP as an example. Malibu and Cruze have decent hefty discounts right now, but nothing that crazy.

And, the way this economy is going with the phony stock market propped up by endless Fed money to the central banks . . . inflation will hit the fan sooner or later. I do not even want to think about that. But when it does . . . . Thee are several other reasons that I do not see vehicle prices coming down, but I do not think they will.

Other than an enormous rise in fuel cost, think $3.80 to $4.50 a gallon nation wide, I do not think the Twins selling price will be going down. At least, not while the Wentzville plant is working 3 shifts 6 and 7 days a week just to put out what they do. Most dealers within 100 miles of my area are doing good to have 6 to 20 Colorados or Canyons on the lot at one time, usually only 4 or 5. IF you can wrangle a discount of $3K to $4K you are doing well.

Yes. . . except for Laura GMC in Illinois. . Expecting them to go belly up if the market conditions change.

Reactions: hyperv6

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Trucks and CUV models will hold better sales but cars are really going to struggle. I also am not one to trade too often. I go 9-12 years on my car and 6-8 on the wife's. We pay one off before we buy the next and I usually get top price in resale. I refuse to get upside down like so many do. My buddy was paying over $800 for a Taco with all his trading. That is nutz.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The market may or may not be different in 2019, but I doubt the Ranger will have much to do with it. Hell, the Frontier is extremely out of date and they still don't have the huge discounts that you'd expect them to have.
This was not the case when I went looking at the 3 mid-sized trucks. The guy at the Nissan dealer offered me like 6k off a pro4x without me even asking. The Nissan was actually a pretty nice truck despite being 12 years old or whatever. Other than the interior and the bad mpg's it was was neck and neck with the gmc.

Toyota, well, I test drove the TRD Off road just to check the box and my god that thing sucked. They lol'd at me when I asked what they could do and gave me a line about Reliabilty and resale. Meanwhile the Tacoma has the worst Reliabilty rating from consumer reports and taco diehards are jumping ship.

I want my Colorado to be my forever truck, but if Ford puts the 2.7L turbo engine in the Ranger I will bail ship in a second. The 2.3 turbo I would have to think about but that 2.7... hot damn, the torque is instant and ludicrous, and thats stock in an F150. The ranger would be a rocket ship with that motor.

I REALLY hope ford executes this right. If they can do an aluminum ranger that is just over 4000 lbs in a crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 or 2.3 and get 25-26 on the highway that will be huge. I currently have a 3.5 ecoboost in a 6200 lb empty F150 and it make the 2.8 diesel in my jeep feel like a slug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
This was not the case when I went looking at the 3 mid-sized trucks. The guy at the Nissan dealer offered me like 6k off a pro4x without me even asking. The Nissan was actually a pretty nice truck despite being 12 years old or whatever. Other than the interior and the bad mpg's it was was neck and neck with the gmc.

Toyota, well, I test drove the TRD Off road just to check the box and my god that thing sucked. They lol'd at me when I asked what they could do and gave me a line about Reliabilty and resale. Meanwhile the Tacoma has the worst Reliabilty rating from consumer reports and taco diehards are jumping ship.

I REALLY hope ford executes this right. If they can do an aluminum ranger that is just over 4000 lbs in a crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 or 2.3 and get 25-26 on the highway that will be huge. I currently have a 3.5 ecoboost in a 6200 lb empty F150 and it make the 2.8 diesel in my jeep feel like a slug.

When I looked at Tacomas earlier this year, they were all $3200-3400 off. No BS qualifiers. It didn’t matter because I didn’t want one.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
A headwind for the auto makers is a ton of post recession vehicles that were leased are coming off lease, causing a glut of late model used cars to hit the market. I also think "price fatigue" is setting in. Let's face it, as a nation, we can't afford our fancy rides.

Auto sales slide again in July - Aug. 1, 2017

A difficulty for Twin buyers is that thanks to cheap gas, truck and SUV sales remain pretty strong. Even so, I am seeing 6 year zero percent financing on the twins, and big discounts on FS trucks. The twins, for the time being, are stubbornly tough to get a discount on. If you wanna buy a Malibu, they are about giving those away though...

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I looked at Tacomas earlier this year, they were all $3200-3400 off. No BS qualifiers. It didn’t matter because I didn’t want one.

Weird. It was probably June or so and they told me nothing.

Same here though, even if the price came out about the same I would have picked the frontier or canyon/Colorado.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A difficulty for Twin buyers is that thanks to cheap gas, truck and SUV sales remain pretty strong. Even so, I am seeing 6 year zero percent financing on the twins, and big discounts on FS trucks. The twins, for the time being, are stubbornly tough to get a discount on. If you wanna buy a Malibu, they are about giving those away though...
Last July and August, the best rate I saw on a Colorado was about 2.9%, and that was for either 5 or 6 years. They really didn't want to budge on price, AND Chevy was about $2-4k higher than a Tacoma. Any diesel was most likely 2wd and over $40k. I bought a WT, even though the Tacoma SR would have been cheaper and had 0% for 5 years.

At the end of this past July, I pulled into a dealer to look at a '17 to give my Dad some advice. They had a couple diesel 4x4s with running boards, window deflectors, and a drop in bedliner for $35k. I was in shock. If it had been a long bed on top of that, it would have been perfect. Well, except for that drop in bedliner. The salesman told me that they have pretty good sales at the end of July and during August. Ha! This same dealer wouldn't budge on price last year. In fact, the salesman and manager could be heard discussing which was a better deal for me - using the supplier discount (which it turned out I was ineligible for) or taking what little money off they were offering. I'm pretty sure one of them tried to claim that the higher monthly payment was better. I'm glad I didn't buy there last year...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
At the end of this past July, I pulled into a dealer to look at a '17 to give my Dad some advice. They had a couple diesel 4x4s with running boards, window deflectors, and a drop in bedliner for $35k. I was in shock. If it had been a long bed on top of that, it would have been perfect.
Holy crap. 35K, even if they add the usual BS dealer fees to it, is a fantastic price for a diesel 4x4, even more so with those add ons. :surprise:

The long bed option is only another $300. Glad I went that route for my needs and am amazed it is not that much more expensive - the long bed itself may be the same as the extended cab trucks, but a lot of other parts under it need to change to accommodate that extra foot of wheelbase. GM sure charges a lot for other seemingly less significant upgrades.

Reactions: aver3
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.