Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71, 3.6L V6, crew cab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I’m being sent away on business and won’t be using my truck for about 2 months.
Is there anything specific I should do to prep it for prolonged inactivity?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 CCSB Z71
14 Posts
2 months isn't that long. About the only thing I might do is unhook the battery terminals and this should keep the battery from bleeding charge while you aren't using it. maybe a little bit of fuel stabilizer or something could help too

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Connect a Battery Tender and be on your way. 2 months is nothing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
I wouldn’t disconnect the battery for two months inactivity, but you should put it in transport mode. This will turn off things which drain the battery but without resetting your clock.

I just recently restarted my Colorado after a five month hiatus, during which it was in transport mode. No battery tender, but I do have a new high-reserve battery.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
Transport mode would probably be the way to go- or at least that’s what I would do (or wish I had done because it wouldn’t be smart enough to do this) these trucks never really turn off so something to prevent it from killing your battery would be good.

You could remote start it via your phone 2X a week too?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
A Battery Tender will take care of everything for two months. I use one on my 02 Trans Am year and put maybe 300 miles per year. My last battery lasted 11 years 6 months.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
yep, even with the battery disconnected it will discharge slowly. Lead acid batteries last longest if they are fully charged so a tender would be best.
But ya, 2 months in not that big of deal.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Transport mode would probably be the way to go- or at least that’s what I would do (or wish I had done because it wouldn’t be smart enough to do this) these trucks never really turn off so something to prevent it from killing your battery would be good.

You could remote start it via your phone 2X a week too?
No, that's worse for the engine than just letting it sit since it produces condensation and won't get up to temp, let alone run long enough to boil off the condensation, etc. When a vehicle is being stored it should never be started unless it will also be driven for at least 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,541 Posts
Battery tender is key since in newer vehicles complete lose of power (battery source) can cause in some to lose the firing order and other issues with the computer. That is why they have the memory saver for when you change your battery. It is not just for your radio stations.
I learned that the hard way with a 2005 Camry. Was told to change the battery while it was running. I did it the old trusty way. It took about a half hour of trying to keep it running before I coul ddrive again with out it dying.

This is the one I bought:

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...chumacher-obdll-memory-saver-cable/429081_0_0

and use a bettery jump box as the power source.

Schumacher Battery Extender 12-Volt 1,200 Amp Battery Jump Starter-BE01255 - The Home Depot

Reactions: LikeAnArcticRock

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Most battery tenders are good I just happen to prefer the one named Battery Tender. When I had my 16 then 17 Shelby GT 350's sometimes in winter they would have to sit for a couple months out in the carport. I parked on cardboard to give some insulation between the tires and ground and would just hook up my Battery Tender. When ready to drive them unhooked it and they fired right up, with no problems what so ever. And believe it or not for such a high horsepower, high performance engine they take a rather small battery that have low cranking amps. And there were many times the temperature would be in the teens or colder to single digits.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
The Battery Minder brand maintainers I have (3), used for many years. Bought them from Northern Tool.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I go on at least one 2+mo long trip a year for work. This is overkill but it's worked for me for 10+ years for 3 different vehicles. I use a battery tender plus.

(Not sure if the attachment is actually working on mobile)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Like others recommend...

• Battery tender
  • Fill tank & add StaBil
  • Dryer sheets (all over), or moth balls

Should be good to go...FWIW, my Harley & Mustang sit covered for 5-months and always fire-up in spring. Only thing added to above is (1) oil/filter change, (2) tin-foil exhaust hole(s) & (3) good wash/wax. Cover them & sleep f/ winter.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Battery tender is key since in newer vehicles complete lose of power (battery source) can cause in some to lose the firing order and other issues with the computer. That is why they have the memory saver for when you change your battery. It is not just for your radio stations.
I learned that the hard way with a 2005 Camry. Was told to change the battery while it was running. I did it the old trusty way. It took about a half hour of trying to keep it running before I coul ddrive again with out it dying.

This is the one I bought:

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...chumacher-obdll-memory-saver-cable/429081_0_0

and use a bettery jump box as the power source.

Schumacher Battery Extender 12-Volt 1,200 Amp Battery Jump Starter-BE01255 - The Home Depot
This is not true and never change a battery while it's running. Whoever is telling you this stuff has no clue.
Memory savers are for radio stations and to keep the computer from having to relearn some settings, which they will in a short time.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Too many expensive electronic components on the new vehicles, makes disconnecting battery cables while running a very bad idea.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
160 Posts
FWIW I’ve disconnected my battery for a 6 month stretch while on deployment. When I returned and reconnected the battery I didn’t lose any radio presets, trip meters, oil life or fuel filter life, or the clock. Truck fired right up no problems. I should mention I have the diesel with the original AGM battery.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71, 3.6L V6, crew cab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I had to leave on 24 hours notice, so I didn’t have time to get a tender or fuel stabilizer, but I definitely will for next time.

Ended up putting in in transport mode, as some suggested. No need for the wool or Bounce sheets as I live in the Arctic and we don’t have critters like that. Just gotta worry about the raven poop upon return haha.

Thanks again everyone! Really insightful! Appreciate everyone taking the time to read and reply!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts