Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...So here goes. if someone has asked this before, forgive me.

I have seen a couple of gas stations sell the mid-grade gas at the same price as the premium gas all the time. This isn't some special discount, such as a Tuesday discount. It seems too good to be true to think that I would be getting premium at the mid-grade price.

I think they are filling both the mid-grade and premium undergound tanks with the same gas, and hence, the same price. That seems logical and fair to me. This begs the question, why do they still advertise the premium gas as premium on the price sign?

And NO, I haven't asked the gas station manager.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It's against the law to bait-and-switch so I doubt they are selling mid-grade at premium price.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Sometimes stations will do this for a bit to promote business and then go back to normal. Gas stations actually make more money on sodas, candy, etc than they do on gas.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
There is a station by me that sells the low and mid grade at the same price. I couldn't tell you why, but they did.

Maybe they were splitting the difference between the grades.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rangerbob said:
It's against the law to bait-and-switch so I doubt they are selling mid-grade at premium price.
They are selling premium (or appear to be) at the mid-grade price. I think the title of this post was misleading, so I changed it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rangerbob said:
Sometimes stations will do this for a bit to promote business and then go back to normal. Gas stations actually make more money on sodas, candy, etc than they do on gas.
It is as strange as it sounds. The mid-grade and premium are always the same price.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added a photo of a Sunoco that does this. I also know of a Citgo that does the same. See the initial post above.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Probably splitting the difference.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It's 2.83 to 3.01 around me. Some spots are 3.50 for regular.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HowNowBrownCow said:
u got cheaper gas where u are than i do.

cheapest ive seen regular octane lately is $2.79
This is a few-month old photo from MD. It struck me as odd, so I snapped the photo with my phone.

Both mid and premium grades are $3.09 in Parts Unknown, USA.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rangerbob said:
I saw a Shell with Premium for $3.51 just a few days ago. 10 minutes up the road, a Shell had Premium for $3.17. The only difference was that the $3.51 Shell was the only station on that corner. The $3.17 Shell was directly across from a Chevron priced at $3.16.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Maybe they just bought the sign and pumps that had reg, mid, and premium on discount. You have to fill in the Premium sign with something.... :D

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The 3.50+ gas is in Potomac and Bethesda, MD where people have too much money and not enough sense.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
brinsmaid said:
rangerbob said:
I saw a Shell with Premium for $3.51 just a few days ago. 10 minutes up the road, a Shell had Premium for $3.17. The only difference was that the $3.51 Shell was the only station on that corner. The $3.17 Shell was directly across from a Chevron priced at $3.16.
Its all about the competition, thats why when you cut off an exit on the highway to get gas you always want to try and take an exit where there are mulitple gas stations, hopefully one being a discount station like Flying J or Pilot or other truck stop, this will pull down the price of the majors nearby as they have to keep their prices low to compete with the discount station. One you pull of the highway and there is just one station off the exit, guaranteed you are going to pay through the Ass.

When I use to own my Station, I use to discount the super on Saturday by a dime and it would be the same as plus, but that was only one day a week. Like others said, Ive never seen where they do it on a regular basis.

That being the case though, since I regularly use mid in my truck, I'd get a half tank of regular and then a half tank of super and have mid grade for less than what the midgrade price was, I know, I'm a cheepskate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
rangerbob said:
Gas stations actually make more money on sodas, candy, etc than they do on gas.
x2, 20oz sodas are up to $1.59 at the 7-11

I've seen promotions and discounts,but not continuous pricing like that

one station near me dropped their price temporarily to clean out the tank for a fresh delivery (asked the manager about it because it was 20 cents lower per gallon than the day before)

After Katrina, some stations were selling the mid-grade cheaper than the 87. In that case it had to do with high demand for 87 driving the price up at a new delivery and the 89 was still at the price from the previous fuel delivery due to lower demand.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Midgrade has 10% ethanol right? And premium has 0% ethanol. Do you live somewhere that is very far from an ethanol plant? That could cause the price of mid to go up, and not effect the price of others.
Around here (Nebraska), it's usually Regular, Mid (Regular+$.10), Premium (Regular+$.20). If you lived in Nebraska or any other ethanol state, the Mid would be closer to the middle for price. A $.17 price difference between regular and premium is usual, it's the Mid number that's up for you.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Ethanol content depends on what is mandated by local or state regulations - not octane rating.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts