Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Premium gas improve performance for your Colorado or Canyon?

• Yes

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 19.4%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during the snow "blizzard" storm in San Antonio this week, you north guys can laugh but it was very bad for us, regular gas was out at the pump. So I had to use premium 93 gas in the Colorado. And there was a huge difference in performance. I could feel the truck running and performing better. Just that little change made a noticable difference. I probably wont be using premium every time, maybe once in a while. Felt like a new truck actually. My foot just kept getting heavier it felt so good! Lol.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
It will perform better even with the mid grade, just costs a little more. I sometimes use the mid grade when towing. The only time I use premium is in this!

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,266 Posts
Yes like 16WhiteColly I used Premium in my TransAm. When I had my 2005 Tahoe Z71 I found I got better fuel economy and all with running the mid grade. The good old 5.3 was like that.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
779 Posts
Premium has been proven to be cleaner.
Better emissions and better filtered, less dirt in tank.
Some premiums do not have ethanol added.
Can last longer for sitting for longer periods.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I use premium in my 2 cycle equipment because it doesn’t damage carburetors and fuel lines due to the ethanol.

Reactions: Firehk and hyperv6

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I use premium in my 2 cycle equipment because it doesn’t damage carburetors and fuel lines due to the ethanol.
Although you can buy ethanol free (usually 90 octane), pretty sure that 87/89/93 octanes contain an equal amount of ethanol, and yes the ethanol free is definitely better for power equipment for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Our v6 trucks have multiple cam tunes, spark tunes... heck even the algorithm for the transmission is attached to octane tunes.

the way the truck os works is: it starts on a 93 octane tune. The moment it receives a knock event it drops to the next lower octane tune and drives there. If no knock it will go through a timer and test out the higher octane tune and go back and forth.
If it has a knock event at that lower octane tune, it will drop down again to a lower octane map... then after a period of time try the next higher octane map. If no knock it will stay in that map for a period of time and then test the next higher map...
But the ecu learns the knock events and will eventually keep itself in permanent low octane mapping areas in sp

so it can retard everything to run a low low octane fuel but it will be constantly trying to test the higher more efficient maps.

so can you run 87? Yep. But should you?
If the motor is designed to run most efficiently and capable of burning 93 for that longer burn event in down stroke (power) then you should want to run that. Otherwise your just driving around with continual tiny knock events and then a learned retard map.

I think people who only run 87 and then put in 91/93 and say “I never felt or noticed a change in power.” Or even “I lost mileage”... suffer from their ecu having learned permanent reduced octane mapping adjusts and when they put the higher octane in it, it’s not burning all the fuel because it’s in permanent low octane maps.

If you are a consistent 87/89 oct user and decide to try 91/93... unplug the battery and press the brake pedal to purge all electricity out of all the caps etc. or let the battery sit unplugged overnight.
Then fill up. Drive. Empty the tank. Reset the ecu after filling up again, and see how that second tank works mileage and power wise.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
How much ethanal depends where you live and what time of year. it is the same amount per octane.

Using premium is never going to hurt the truck but the gains are small and most time not easy to feel or detect.

Most 2 cycle companies do recommend premium due to the fact it has more room to degrade over time. Also they say to use stable in it too.

higher compression engines burn cleaner but just burning higher octane changes nothing.

I am using Premium now since I am driving the truck less to to it having more room to degrade. Even then the results are small.

Many just feel better running it and often it is just a placebo effect in many cases.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only use premium in my performance cars too. Nice trans am by the way! But I wasnt expecting any effect at all for the truck. I don't feel it was a placebo. I seriously felt the difference. I have a 2018 WT with 23,000 miles and have only used the regular, lowest grade which is 89 I believe. The octane is 10% here. I think I'll be rotating premium gas in there every once in a while. As a matter of fact, I'll fill up one more time on premium, then switch back to 89 and see if I can feel a decrease in performance. When I put in the premium gas, the thought didn't even cross my mind that it would perform better. Then the truck reacted differently. Especially on the throttle. Of course not a Holy [email protected] reaction, but enough that got my attention.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don't remember much about it but when GM came back with the Camaro SS of course it is to have premium gas. And some dealerships were putting regular gas in them. On the Camaro forum they were saying to be sure you were getting the performance you should get from the engine to fill tank up with premium gas and pull two fuses (can't remember the two) then let car set overnight and put the fuses back in to be sure the engine was performing at the peak level it should.

Reactions: Firehk and Rpinaiii

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
64 Posts
Remember when the manufacturer says use Premium Fuel they are referring to 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Remember when the manufacturer says use Premium Fuel they are referring to 91 octane.
some areas of the country have different Octane Levels available. That is why Midrange and Premium have ranges. Have seen in certain areas it say either 85 or 86 Reugular.
Why do they sell 85 octane in Colorado?

Because the air is less dense, less air flows to your car's engine. This translates to a slightly richer air-fuel ratio, and deters engine knock. For that reason, you'll find that regular gas carries an 85 octane rating here in Denver and throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana.

Things To Know About Buying Gas At Altitude | Mike Shaw Subaru.

Octane rating is the measure of a fuel's ability to resist "knocking" or "pinging" during combustion, caused by the air/fuel mixture detonating prematurely in the engine. In the U.S., unleaded gasoline typically has octane ratings of 87 (regular), 88–90 (midgrade), and 91–94 (premium).

What octane fuel should I use in my vehicle?
You should use the octane rating required for your vehicle by the manufacturer. So, check your owner's manual. Most gasoline vehicles are designed to run on 87 octane, but others are designed to use higher octane fuel.

Select the right octane fuel for your vehicle!.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My mustang & Harley get the good stuff (91 or 93 octane)...truck is whatever's the lowest @ pump.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Previous post I meant 10% ethanol not octane. The gas pumps states "may contain up to 10% ethanol".

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Now this is in general terms as I am sure there may be an off exception.

Yes octane varies by region and altitude.

Ethanol content can and will vary by state and region and even season due to emissions regulations. here in Ohio we get more ethanol in the winter months than summer. Same with altitude and regional terrain as places like Denver can get more and LA due to ability to get more smog due to mountains and local winds.

Most cars today are tuned for the lower octane ratings and will say regular fuel.
Now some cars will say Premium Fuel Required and that means you must use the good stuff or you will suffer damage with long term or hard use.

The last is more popular today. This is Premium Fuel Recommended. This option will detune the engine if it picks up detonation. This gives the owner the safe option to use lesser fuel. It has been common on Turbo, supercharged and some V8 models. It usually will dial back the timing or boost and cut about 25 HP on average.

I am not aware of any engine that are tuned for regular fuel and will up timing if premium fuel is detected. If it did that then there would be no tuners as they set up timing and boost.

Now in some cases you may improve performance a small bit depending how sensitive the car is to detonation.

GM a few years back was pushing for compression ignition and for standard octane ratings to be raised. Higher compression and pressured inducted engines with boost will burn cleaner. This is why we have as high compression we have now.

To prevent detonation today we are seeing oil sprayed to the underside of the pistons to cool them and direct injection to cool the cylinder with fuel.

Mazda has used the compression ignition too. I know the GM version had something like 18:1 compression. It is like a diesel but on gas. GM dropped this when they could not get higher octane and moved on to EV programs in time As the industry is now moving this way.

That is how it works in most cases. Using premium is not going to hurt anything but don’t expect sudden more major performance gains unless the engine is tuned for it and generally it will be listed as Premium Recommended or Required. often a turbo is involved too.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 18 Mustang Gt. I've messed around with fuel mixes before. I actually tried 3 gallons e 85 with 13 gallon premium with 10% ethanol. That means about (16 gallon tank) 24% ethanol. People on a mustang forum said it made the car perform better and for me it didn't at all. I did 3 tanks like that. And the performance decreased. I went back to straight full 93 premium. Big difference for me. So the truck was a surpise and I knew right away it was the gas. Shoot, maybe I should look into one of them tunes for the Colorado, it has me wondering now..

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
You don't live live near me if you have no ethanol in the premium, it's all got 10% now here. :mad:

Reactions: gherbert

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I have 18 Mustang Gt. I've messed around with fuel mixes before. I actually tried 3 gallons e 85 with 13 gallon premium with 10% ethanol. That means about (16 gallon tank) 24% ethanol. People on a mustang forum said it made the car perform better and for me it didn't at all. I did 3 tanks like that. And the performance decreased. I went back to straight full 93 premium. Big difference for me. So the truck was a surpise and I knew right away it was the gas. Shoot, maybe I should look into one of them tunes for the Colorado, it has me wondering now..
The car has to be tuned for the ethanol for it to do any good, as you found out otherwise it will have less power and mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
This is why you had an issue with your Mustang:

Engines with a high compression ratio typically require higher octane fuel to achieve its intended level of performance, fuel efficiency and emissions. If your car requires premium gas, don't skimp out. While you might save money on gas, your car will be less powerful and fuel-efficient.Jan 11, 2020

Premium vs. Regular Gas Explained.

The Mustang must likely like the TransAm mentioned before are High Compression. Our trucks are not.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Ethanol is a renewable fuel made from various plant materials collectively known as "biomass." More than 98% of U.S. gasoline contains ethanol, typically E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline), to oxygenate the fuel, which reduces air pollution.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fuel Basics

1 - 20 of 64 Posts