Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Technological advances can also be your worst enemy, because now that our steering and throttle are computer controlled, they can also be hacked and/or a microscopic defect can cause failure.
Valid point, and replacing electronic steering isn't a DYI like changing a pump or the rack. Mechanically it is, but you need the fancy dealer tools to program it, set the steering angle sensor, and make all the nannies happy, etc. My SS Sedan had a recall on it, the rack was roughly 1700 and book time was I believe about 8 hours. Would have been around 3k for the repair had it not been a recall item.

Registered
I have searched the forum and can't find anywhere that says what the recommended power steering fluid change interval is. It's listed for every other fluid in the truck, but not power steering fluid. I know it's not lifetime fluid and does need changed occasionally i.e. sucking out the old fluid from the reservoir and adding in new.
I am the original owner of a 2005: never changed the power steering fluid, don't plan to, and no problems. If you have the electric steering, you should change the electrons every 10,000 miles.

Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
Power steering fluid normally does not need to be changed or flushed out. I said normally so don't go jumping up and down. If you do any work in the system then obviously you will drain and replenish any loss fluid. I flushed two vehicles in the past. A Chevy blazer and a BMW 318. Basically I disconnected the return line going to the reservoir and placed it in a drain bucket. Then I added fresh fluid in the reservoir while the pump was running and turning the wheels left and right running the fluid through the system. Usually you know when the fresh fluid has gone through completely by the cleaner fluid exiting the drain line into the drain bucket. Flushing for preventative maintenance is probably something you feel needs to be done for longevity purposes. Other than that most people never think of flushing the fluid. They just check the level and add as necessary.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts