Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my 2015 Z71 Power Steering failed twice. I get a message in the Driver Information display to "Service Power Steering" and a chime sounds. And obviously it steers very badly. If I shut it down and restart the steering returns but only for a short time. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any idea what the problem? The truck is with the dealer.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
My threads already linked above. After replacing everything I have had no issues. But then again I didnt the first 3000 miles either with the original.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
My threads already linked above. After replacing everything I have had no issues. But then again I didnt the first 3000 miles either with the original.
Mine failed in the first 2500 miles I believe, and i am pushing 10K almost now, and I have not had any further issues.

The problem appears to be rare enough, I would venture to say based on reports here, less than 0.5 %, and since they replace the whole unit, I don't have any fears that it will re-occur.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have experienced it about 7 times, 5300 miles. Dealer reprogrammed the module but did not help. He is asking GM for help,always fixes it went pull over and restart. Might go several weeks between failure but also a safety issue. My dealer may replace the steering module inside the steering column. He said big job to get to the module. Love the truck and only issue. Other wise perfect, but anxious for a fix.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Have experienced it about 7 times, 5300 miles. Dealer reprogrammed the module but did not help. He is asking GM for help,always fixes it went pull over and restart. Might go several weeks between failure but also a safety issue. My dealer may replace the steering module inside the steering column. He said big job to get to the module. Love the truck and only issue. Other wise perfect, but anxious for a fix.
I was told that the power steering is a one piece module that cannot be repaired, must be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I did a quick search on Power steering and did not get results on threads already active. I live in Michigan and when my steering failed it was 88 degrees. Not a cold weather issue. Truck has 1140 miles on it and is still at the dealer. No follow up so far. As additional information, at the same time as I got the message "service power steering" I also got lights for traction control and Tow Haul mode but no message. Just the lights in the display. Sounds to me like an electrical issue or a bad signal to the Body Control Module.

Appreciate the links and responses so far. Thanks

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Silverchevy,

I think the issue is same as the problem I had. It may have been first thought to be a "cold weather" issue, but that was not the case.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its the same as mine as well. The traction control light etc. Also when it comes up if you go into reverse the lines on the backup camera wont show. Took it in multiple times, even able to keep it running as one morning on way in for appointment it came on. Pulled right in keeping it running and told them. They managed to pull some error codes they couldnt before. The process they went through was first saying it was a pinched wire. I didnt buy it but took the truck. Message came on very next morning. Next time they reprogrammed the module. After looking here I didnt think it would work. It didnt. Next time they re-calibrated something. I told them every time it came on for me was in the morning on my way to work which is literally a straight drive with no turns. After going straight for about 15-20 minutes it would come up. Weekends it never did, as what I could only figure difference was weekend drives I was making more turns, never straight for that length. Probably just a coincidence, but regardless after they recalibrated the module I asked if they would keep it till the morning, and have a tech drive it straight for 15-20 minutes no turns. Got a call back that morning saying they are replacing the unit as the exact same thing happened with tech. 15-20 minutes straight and on comes the warning.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
tagz,

Interestingly, mine never failed in a turn either. Granted, 95% of our driving is fairly straight for any of us. But I never had to contend with losing power steering in the middle of a turn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have had my power steering unit replaced twice in the first 50,000 miles. 2015 Chevy Colorado 4WD LT. Each time the dealer had to replace the entire unit, and it took about a day for them to do so. And each time, they gave me a 1-year warranty on the replacement part.

Their best guess is that moisture gets into what is supposed to be an entirely sealed unit, and since it's electronic it causes problems that the computers can't rectify.

My issue manifested in the inability to find and hold true center with the steering wheel. The truck couldn't tell which way the wheels were pointed and it would drift like those old POS power steering units from decades long gone. I could get between 1-3 inches of travel in the steering wheel with no effect on the truck's direction.

My steering wheel is starting to drift again, so I may go in for another replacement. I think I let the 1-year warranty window expire, so I'm hoping I can convince the dealership that any issue with power steering and the truck not knowing which way it's pointing is a safety hazard worth inspection and potentially repair.

I see that as of May 2019 the NHTSA is investigating GM for this issue. Here's a link if you want to read up. Perhaps a recall for more of our trucks is in the future.

NHTSA Investigation

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
So I have had my power steering unit replaced twice in the first 50,000 miles. 2015 Chevy Colorado 4WD LT. Each time the dealer had to replace the entire unit, and it took about a day for them to do so. And each time, they gave me a 1-year warranty on the replacement part.

Their best guess is that moisture gets into what is supposed to be an entirely sealed unit, and since it's electronic it causes problems that the computers can't rectify.

My issue manifested in the inability to find and hold true center with the steering wheel. The truck couldn't tell which way the wheels were pointed and it would drift like those old POS power steering units from decades long gone. I could get between 1-3 inches of travel in the steering wheel with no effect on the truck's direction.

My steering wheel is starting to drift again, so I may go in for another replacement. I think I let the 1-year warranty window expire, so I'm hoping I can convince the dealership that any issue with power steering and the truck not knowing which way it's pointing is a safety hazard worth inspection and potentially repair.

I see that as of May 2019 the NHTSA is investigating GM for this issue. Here's a link if you want to read up. Perhaps a recall for more of our trucks is in the future.

NHTSA Investigation
The power steering fail seemed to have happened here to a few people in 2015 (first year model) and I haven't heard of it since then. I'm wondering if it was a known problem that was fixed for the newer year models. Most people's power steering just failed not slowly drifting like yours. Sounds scary if you are at a high speed in a turn. That would suck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts