Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Canyon base model. I have searched and not found what I'm looking for so I will ask.
I would like to install a 2nd power outlet (cigarette lighter) beside the existing one. Has anyone done this and what's involved? I am a volunteer firefighter and need a 2nd outlet to power my dash light, the original is for the phone charger and I'm tired of trying to switch plugs every time we have a fire run.
Thanks in advance for your incite.

·
Registered
352 Posts
2015 Canyon base model. I have searched and not found what I'm looking for so I will ask.
I would like to install a 2nd power outlet (cigarette lighter) beside the existing one. Has anyone done this and what's involved? I am a volunteer firefighter and need a 2nd outlet to power my dash light, the original is for the phone charger and I'm tired of trying to switch plugs every time we have a fire run.
Isn't there a USB outlet in your center console? That's what I use to charge my phone, and would be easier than installing a new outlet. There's even slots for routing the cables under the lid.

In the newer models there is a cradle behind the shifter for wireless charging phones. Below is the diagram.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Or if you must have a second 12V outlet you could just get a splitter. Remove the existing outlet, widen/cut new holes for the new splitter, and wire it in. You'll need to remove some dash pieces to gain access (and of course disconnect battery).

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Probably easiest to just use a splitter.

Did the base model not have a 2nd power outlet in the back of the center console in 2015? (Mine isn't base, has that rear unit.

There are some threads on people who have installed stuff in that region, can't remember a good search term. Be careful, because I think that the space behind the plastic faceplate has something right up next to it. Perhaps someone can remember a good topic to search and link you to.

This is not the one I am remembering, but pretty interesting.

This two may be instructive:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't there a USB outlet in your center console? That's what I use to charge my phone, and would be easier than installing a new outlet. There's even slots for routing the cables under the lid.

In the newer models there is a cradle behind the shifter for wireless charging phones. Below is the diagram.

View attachment 383355
Thanks Pete for the diagram. I have a 2015 base model and there is no USB in the armrest/console. I have a 12v and a USB in the dash cubby hole. The USB in the cubby hole is only for a flash drive (input) and will not charge the phone when I plug it in it.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Thanks Pete for the diagram. I have a 2015 base model and there is no USB in the armrest/console. I have a 12v and a USB in the dash cubby hole. The USB in the cubby hole is only for a flash drive (input) and will not charge the phone when I plug it in it.
I have 3 USB connections and 2 cigarette lighters. All 3 USB connections will charge (well, I guess the one inside the center console will charge, it has had a flash drive in it since the day after I purchased the truck.) They may charge slow, and if you are using the phone for some heavy work of some sort, it really may only keep up with the battery drain, but they do charge.

I actually plug my phones into a charge adapter in the cigarette lighter: I want my system to only see the flash drive for music, rather than it look to the phone for music.

I suspect your USB port is charging, vewy, vewy slowly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or if you must have a second 12V outlet you could just get a splitter. Remove the existing outlet, widen/cut new holes for the new splitter, and wire it in. You'll need to remove some dash pieces to gain access (and of course disconnect battery).

Pete. thank you for researching this for me. The panel with the two power supplies and a volt meter is great and I have one but it is big and not sure where it would fit. I have that unit but it won't fit anywhere and look good. I'm not sure the "Y" will fit since the factory socket is so far to the right of the cubby.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 3 USB connections and 2 cigarette lighters. All 3 USB connections will charge (well, I guess the one inside the center console will charge, it has had a flash drive in it since the day after I purchased the truck.) They may charge slow, and if you are using the phone for some heavy work of some sort, it really may only keep up with the battery drain, but they do charge.

I actually plug my phones into a charge adapter in the cigarette lighter: I want my system to only see the flash drive for music, rather than it look to the phone for music.

I suspect your USB port is charging, vewy, vewy slowly.
Wow, 3 USB's and 2 sockets, must be nice. If the USB is charging it is not enough for the phone to see it and say it is being charged. Where do you have 3 USB's? I only have 1 in the cubby hole in the dash.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Wow, 3 USB's and 2 sockets, must be nice. If the USB is charging it is not enough for the phone to see it and say it is being charged. Where do you have 3 USB's? I only have 1 in the cubby hole in the dash.
I have the setup you have in the cubby hole, a USB port inside the center console, and then on the back of the center console for the back seat, a USB and a cigarette lighter.

The USB port inside the center console has had one of the very small flash drives plugged into it pretty much from day one. I have pulled it out a couple of times to add music to it, and that is it.

I believe the USB in the back seat is not supposed to be connected to the entertainment system, but it seems like plugging a phone into it has taken over the music for the truck.

Since I use a cigarette adapter to charge my phone, it charges pretty decently. On the USB port, it is almost a "maintain" charge as opposed to a real charger.

·
Registered
352 Posts
No problem. It was interesting to see all the different aftermarket 12v outlets. As CaryBosse mentioned, there is a 12v outlet on backside of center console (for rear seat), do you have one there in your truck? If so maybe you could plug the splitter into that or tap that one to mount your multi-outlet inside the cubby under your armrest.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. It was interesting to see all the different aftermarket 12v outlets. As CaryBosse mentioned, there is a 12v outlet on backside of center console (for rear seat), do you have one there in your truck? If so maybe you could plug the splitter into that or tap that one to mount your multi-outlet inside the cubby under your armrest.
I do have one in the back of the console, good thinking on tapping into it. I'm afraid to plug much of anything into it, and really forgot it was there, because 90% of the time I have a 60 pound four legged partner who rides with me. That would be a good idea to tap into it, thanks. I just hate to have cords running all over the place, OCD I guess. Thanks again and may God bless.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I haven't had any need to do it, but how hard would it be to tap off the rear console outlet, with an outlet in the center console, and then run the wire out and just charge you phone in the cubby that is located between the gear shifter and the center console?

I am with you on trying to avoid all of the cords. Drives me nuts. I looked long and hard to find a 1' charging cord for my cell phone. When my new phone came with the new USB-C, I couldn't find a short cord, but did find an adapter that converts from micro usb to USB-C.

FYI, for cheap cords for cell phone charging, I find that Five Below, that junk store, actually has a decent selection at cheap prices. That USB micro to USB-C adapter was over $15 on Amazon when I looked early this year, I got it for $5 at Five Below, without shipping or waiting. Wally World and Best Buy didn't have anything that cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Cary for the tip on $5 below, I'll have to check that out. I'm going to put this project on hold for a little while, I was looking to see if anyone had messed with the cubby hole idea. I'm sure it would take a lot of prying in plastic and it's rather cold here thus making the plastic brittle, don't want to break anything.
I'm sure that the center console would be the best idea. I'll look at it but I don't want to do any prying in this cold weather - no garage. Thanks for your suggestions and may God bless.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
FYI, Five Below is going to have what I call consumer products, not the stuff you need to modify your truck's wiring. It's just a cheap consumer products store. (And that is probably giving it more credit than it is due.) The one thing i have found useful is cell phone widgets. I even purchase my cell phone covers from them. While I love the Otterbox and other serious protection for a cell phone, cell phones have grown too large, and when you enclose them in an Otterbox, I just as soon carry my huge tablet around with me and just get a flip phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts