Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper order of removing or putting back the cable connections for the battery?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Remove negative
Remove positive
Replace positive
Replace negative

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
rangerbob said:
Remove negative
Remove positive
Replace positive
Replace negative
I thought you want to disconnect the power first then ground it before trying to re-connect the positive so the circuit is already grounded/looped? The way you have it would make it an early Fourth of July.

Remove positive (no power output to system)
Remove negative
Replace negative (complete ground so no chance of sparks)
Replace positive

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
incorrect savanna, ranger bob is right, it is a safety thing. if you hit the body with your wrench on the positive while the negative connected you will arc-weld it to the body and possibly explode the battery.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I connect jumper cables as follows:

Dead vehicle negative
Dead vehicle positive
Live vehicle negative
Live vehicle positive

Once you've jumped the vehicle - remove in reverse order.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I believe it's
dead vehicle neg
dead vehicle pos
live vehicle pos
live vehicle neg
and don't use the neg. terminal on the battery ,use a vehicle ground, that way no sparks near the battery incase of hydr. gas so no big boom!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I've had the live vehicle actually die and refuse to start if you connect the positive before the negative. This is why I connect the negative first.

The current returned through the ground and killed the live vehicle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The procedure is simple:

Connect the positive (+) clamp to the positive terminal of the healthy battery and the other positive clamp to the corresponding terminal of the dead battery.

Next, the negative (-), or ground, terminal on the good battery and, finally, the negative clamp to the engine block, frame or other grounded metal as far as possible from the battery. You want to avoid sparks in the vicinity of the explosive hydrogen gas that emits from the battery. Do not connect it to the ground terminal (negative).

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I'll keep doing it my way - thanks.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I dont start the good car until all the cables are connected. I've even jumped a Civic off just my Optima Redtop with no ill effects on my starting ability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts