Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, just purchased a New Canyon in November. I do Burnouts alot and have always left two tires marks.... however the past two time I've done a burnout.. one tire mark.

Do I have posi???
If so did I **** it up???
Or what else could explain this

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
GM doesn't use a Posi or Limited Slip Differential in it's trucks it uses a G80 Mechanical Auto Locking Differential.
They are two different ways of causing a vehicle to share power between two of it's wheels on the same axle.
Both the G80 and the Posi brand of LSD are made by a company called Eaton.

Eaton recommends the G80 for Towing and Off-Road use while it recommends the Posi for Hot Rods and Drag Cars.

Dry pavement burnouts have been known (or at least thought) to be hard on G80s and contribute to their failure (the widely over expressed "grenade effect")
A failed or broken G80 performs as an open differential and no longer shares power between the wheels when traction is lost but rather sends all power to whichever wheel is the easiest to turn.

I would venture a guess that you "had" a G80 but at some point (during a burnout perhaps) it made a loud clunk noise and is no longer locking up.

PS welcome to C-fans.
If you search G80 you will find all kinds of info on the subject, both accurate and worthless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts