Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or seen a hard shell tonneau cover controlled by a linear actuator instead of the gas shocks on the sides?

Texas folks call it pop trunk...

Any clue to how one would go about unlocking it? Would poppers work with the twisting motion to unlock it?

Am i nuts?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Typically on a simple set-up, the actuators will hold the tonneau closed. So, there is no need to lock. However, should an actuator fail, you will be SOL.

I had that happen to mine when we had temps reach 125°F and it overheated one of my actuators.

I need to dissect a Chrysler Town & Country lift gate.

Here's mine when it workd
Power tonneau lift - up
Power tonneau lift - down

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
The light unit has a built-in switch. I bought it at Home Depot. I used a RadShack 12v lighter socket power wire that has a plug to match the light and cut the lighter plug end off. Then I tapped the cut end to the power wires under the latch system cover of my SnugLid tonneau which has a remote power lock. I used a 12' wire so I can even use it to change the front tires at night lol.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
ahah damn... i might just get some red led stripes and run them under the rails then get one white led and mount it where you did... i guess i could get alot of wire and tap in somewhere and get some switches or sumthin... ill get it figured out... haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say 'dissect a Chrysler Town & Country lift gate' is that for power actuators or something? or something else

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
beachBum84 said:
When you say 'dissect a Chrysler Town & Country lift gate' is that for power actuators or something? or something else
I want to see how they are able to have a power lift/close AND still be able to open/close manually. I would like to do the same on my tonneau.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts