Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As you can see the trip didn't end well. My fuel averages on the way to Boise was great, got about 23MPG. On the way back with a car and A/C on I averaged 19.6MPG. I also had the exhaust brake on, the truck didn't seem to like it. I noticed going down-hill with the exhaust brake on if I were to brake even more, the truck would over rev to about 3500 RPM until I blipped the gas. Maybe I was using the feature wrong. Other than that the truck did as I had hoped it would. climbing hills at 2000RPM, handled all the windy roads. Tranny temps were pretty decent, its was about 100F out side. Temperatures never went past 212 while climbing. I even impressed a few 2500s one the roads at gas stations. But, unfortunately I got another DEF message about 50miles from my house. I for the life of me couldn't get it to clear, so off to the dealer once again.

I love to hate this truck, and hate to love it!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sorry about the DEF issues! There is a fix for that you know!

As for the shifting, that is the grade shift programming trying to use the engine to hold you back at speed to reduce brake use. When you have it in tow/haul/exhaust-brake mode I think it is a little more aggressive with it. If you don't like it you can shift to M, bump it up to 5 or 6, and it will just act like a normal automatic. And your exhaust brake still works in M.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Did the truck not start after you got home, or did you just get it towed for GM to worry about. None the less ,sucks for sure, like you say the diesel is such a good hauler, and efficient as heck. What was the code and message? Keep us informed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the truck not start after you got home, or did you just get it towed for GM to worry about. None the less ,sucks for sure, like you say the diesel is such a good hauler, and efficient as heck. What was the code and message? Keep us informed.
It starts and drives for the next 35miles until it goes in limp mode
What was your DEF issue?
Poor DEF quality

I hope the dealer will do more then a "flash" again

·
Registered
29 Posts
It starts and drives for the next 35miles until it goes in limp mode
Poor DEF quality

I hope the dealer will do more then a "flash" again

I had the same message last weekend. I had done my first oil change and DEF top-off at my dealer and then drove my truck from the Bay Area to Colorado and back. On the way home--about 200 miles from my house, I got the "Poor DEF" message and a warning that my MPH would be lowered. I found a station with a one gallon bottle of DEF...I added that to my DEF tank and filled up with diesel...about 15 miles down the road the "poor DEF" message stopped.

I had the dealer look at it this past week and they were useless. Said that since message wasn't showing there was nothing they could do and everything checked out OK...Only DEF I ever had in there came from them...I made sure that there was a record of the incident should it happen again...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Man all these posts with problem with Def makes me want to get rid of that cap as soon as I get mine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A well maintained and tuned Diesel engine is no more polluting than a Gasoline engine.
Speaking as an engineer who worked for a large diesel engine manufacturer, I believe you have been misinformed, unless, of course, you are comparing a functioning DEF emission controlled engine to a catalytic emission controlled gasoline engine. If you are referring to engines without emission control hardware, you are wrong. Diesels, by the very way they operate, will emit more NOX and particulates than a comparable gasoline engine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
A well maintained and tuned Diesel engine is no more polluting than a Gasoline engine.
Speaking as an engineer who worked for a large diesel engine manufacturer, I believe you have been misinformed, unless, of course, you are comparing a functioning DEF emission controlled engine to a catalytic emission controlled gasoline engine. If you are referring to engines without emission control hardware, you are wrong. Diesels, by the very way they operate, will emit more NOX and particulates than a comparable gasoline engine.
Respectfully disagree. What you say is true, but the gas motor will emit more hydrocarbons and particularly more carbon monoxide than the diesel. It is kind of a 'pick your poison' thing with the emissions, except we have decided that nox is worse than co (VERY debatable on that one) and thus have regulated those pesky diesel emissions down much closer to gas levels with these additional systems everyone loves to hate. IMO, the only real reason is that people could see and smell diesel emissions, making them 'obviously worse' despite any evidence to the contrary.

On the original topic, glad it towed well. It sounds like it was functioning as it should when revving the engine, attempting to engine brake for you. Just keep getting more comfortable with how your inputs affect that and you'll be able to make the most of that system, in a way you are comfortable with.

On the def: it would be no surprise if the dealer had an old watered down jug causing the problem.

Reactions: dmaxjr

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went to Home Depot today and got a 2.5 gallon jug of Blue DEF....My truck took it all. So last Sunday added one gallon and today 2.5 gallons. I've driven 3,000 miles since the dealer "topped-off" my tank...There is no way my truck used 3.5 gallons of DEF in 3,000 miles...I doubt my dealer put any DEF in during my "Free" oil change. (Dublin GMC in Dublin California) I doubt my DEF tank was full when I bought my truck....5,800 miles on the odometer right now....And whatever they did put in was low quality....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a little update, as the truck is still at the dealer.
My serivce guy us trying to tell me that BlueDef DOES NOT meet GM specs. When it states in the manual about using equal to the same API or ISO rating. Also it states on the bluedef web site the exact same ISO rating.
Im super pissed, my service guy is an idiot. Now he is sayin becuase i didnt use GM DEF thats this whole ordeal isnt covered under warranty.

Anyone experience similar?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My serivce guy us trying to tell me that BlueDef DOES NOT meet GM specs. When it states in the manual about using equal to the same API or ISO rating. Also it states on the bluedef web site the exact same ISO rating.
Im super pissed, my service guy is an idiot. Now he is sayin becuase i didnt use GM DEF thats this whole ordeal isnt covered under warranty.

Scare tactics.
This has been going on for years with dealers(GM,FORD,RAM), blaming you for not using "their" brand of DEF. All B.S and most good dealers know that DEF is all the same .
By the way our GM dealership uses AIR1 DEF in a 1200 liter cube to top off the trucks, not A/C Delco.:wink2:

Reactions: eyekyu

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

That is not accordance with the Moss-Magnussen Warranty act. If the warranty requires you to use a dealer specific maintenance fluid, then the dealer is required to provide it. The warranty requires you to use a fluid or component that meets a specific standard. As long as it does meet that standard, the warranty is in effect.

If there is a requirement like that to maintain the warranty, then he needs to show you that in writing. And it must have been provided to the consumer at the time of purchase. Have it hidden in the service managers desk doesn't count. It needs to be provided to the consumer. Look through your owner's manual, especially the diesel supplement.

Also, emissions equipment is covered under a separate warranty.

Don't get pissed, get educated. The service manager is like your insurance rep. His job is to say, "No we don't cover that". Your job is to say, "Yes, you do".

·
Registered
344 Posts

A moron dealer grasping at straws? Yes. You need to open a case with GM customer care or switch dealers. They have no idea what is wrong so trying to get out of having to deal with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: got screwed hardcore. Cost me $625 to get my truck. They were saying becaused I used bluedef and NOT GM acdelco def then its my fault. I argued about hour and half about its meets the same requirements and blah blah.

Needless to say I got GM customer service number and ill make a claim. I am beyond pissed.

Regardless of the outcome, its time to delete. Is diesel dan and all in still the best options out there

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.