Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing poor mpg's on my last two tanks of Gas and I checked my air filter to make sure it was clean and that doesn't seem to be the problem does anyone know what could be causing it or any cheap fixes to improve gas milage. I have a 2008 2.9L I4 if that helps at all.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Winter gas, fuel filter, lower tire pressure due to cold.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i thought new colly's have a fuel filter inside the tank making it to where you cant replace it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well When I first got the truck in the fall it got 18 mpg now in winter it seems to be getting 16 average I figured that drop was due to the above problems. but the last tank has been by far the worst it has dropped to 14 mpg would those things cause it to drop again?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bohner said:
well When I first got the truck in the fall it got 18 mpg now in winter it seems to be getting 16 average I figured that drop was due to the above problems. but the last tank has been by far the worst it has dropped to 14 mpg would those things cause it to drop again?
Welcome to my world. I feel your pain. I have been taking the fuel system cleaner approach with marginal results.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It could also be due to a change in driving conditions. Two tanks of gas is not a large enough sample size.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The Government is in with the oil companies and they are putting stuff in the gas to make it burn faster in no time so they can get the record profits they are getting.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Winter fuel is for one thing but I get the same MPG also about 14 to 16 right now in summer time it will go back up again.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Curt said:
The Government is in with the oil companies and they are putting stuff in the gas to make it burn faster in no time so they can get the record profits they are getting.

Quality post.

:roll:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gas mileage

On a new 08??? You get that bad a gas mileage to begin with? Never looked at the specs for an 08. If it was a new truck with that bad a mileage I would be back at the dealer. Maybe the brakes are slightly dragging or something. It might still be breaking in too, depending on the mileage.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just got back from a trip, and I can tell you the outside air temperature has a huge affect on these trucks. I think maybe the stock fuel/air maps might be a little funky.

I drove from Boise, Idaho to Florence, Arizona (between Phoenix and Tucson) and back last week. I could feel a difference in the truck as the temp got warmer the further south I traveled. it picked up power and a maybe a mile or two to the gallon. (went from 25deg to 70deg).

By the way, the back of the truck was loaded, my Jayco tent trailer was loaded, the back seat was loaded and there were darn few straight level stretches..... I still averaged ~14.5mpg on any refill. I always tow in 3rd and not "D".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an issue on my 05 colorado where i got terrible gas mileage all the way down to 14mpg. i took it ot my mechanic and he said the engine is not running at the correct temp and also not staying consistant. he replaced the thermostat and its on its way to being better. also tire pressure and cold fluids make the mpg worse

·
Registered
36 Posts
i've got a 2004 z71 extended cab Colly with an I5 (manual trans) and i get about 16 mpg in the winter.warmer temps i was getting 20-24 mixed (city and highway)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cold temps make a huge difference, gas contracts at a rate of about 1% for every 15 degree C/27F drop in temperature, if it's minus 15C/5F and a standard gas pump controls it temperatures at around 14 to 15C/57-59F, you'll loose 2% of your fuel to temperature contraction alone. Almost 2 litres gone, or about 10-15km off a full tank... not to mention all the other factors mentioned which effect mpg in cold weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts