Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 2wd coil. So i have alot of play in my driver side wheel. Ive replaced upper and lower control arms with ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and hub assembly. The play is when i shake with my hands at 3 and 9oclock. Not at 6 and 12. What should i check next? I was told to look for leaks at the rack amd pinion but i dont notice anything. When shaking the tie rods move alot. And the upper ball joint bolt moves slightly but its tight. Ill try to post a video later.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
2007 2wd coil. So i have alot of play in my driver side wheel. Ive replaced upper and lower control arms with ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and hub assembly. The play is when i shake with my hands at 3 and 9oclock. Not at 6 and 12. What should i check next? I was told to look for leaks at the rack amd pinion but i dont notice anything. When shaking the tie rods move alot. And the upper ball joint bolt moves slightly but its tight. Ill try to post a video later.
Could be the whole rack loose, like bushings wiped out.

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,484 Posts
Could be the whole rack loose, like bushings wiped out.
This. ^^^^^

The first years are known to have steering rack bushing issues that contribute to weird tire wear and sloppy steering response.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When i had it jacked up, i shook the rack. Didnt feel like it moved. Ill check again thanks
Leave it on the ground and CAREFULLY lay under it as safely as possible while someone turns the wheel side to side.

You’ll likely see considerable play in the rack bushings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have to take the rack/ wheels/ tie rods completely off the truck to replace right? If thats the issue
Leave it on the ground and CAREFULLY lay under it as safely as possible while someone turns the wheel side to side.

You’ll likely see considerable play in the rack bushings.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would have to take the rack/ wheels/ tie rods completely off the truck to replace right? If thats the issue
If you determine the rack bushing is the issue you have 2 options:

1.) Replace the "main" bushing with a oem replacement. This procedure doesn't involve rack removal. It doesn't really fix the issue but technically repairs it. The benefit is that it's cheap and easy.

2.) Remove the rack and replace all the bushings with the Mayhem Metal Works steering brace kit. It is the only true permanent solution that I'm aware of. It's not difficult but not alot of fun either.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
this is the main correct? I cant seem to find the other 2 on rockauto or autozone. Dealership item?
That looks correct. That is what I was calling the main bushing. The other bushings aren't serviceable without removing the rack and pressing them out. I'm not sure if they are available anywhere because my MMW steering kit came with new ones when I purchased their kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks correct. That is what I was calling the main bushing. The other bushings aren't serviceable without removing the rack and pressing them out. I'm not sure if they are available anywhere because my MMW steering kit came with new ones when I purchased their kit.
OK. Thanks for all your help. I'll check it over the weekend

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took it to 2 shops for inspection. They are both saying its the inner and outer tie rods and the lower ball joint. The rack looks good. Looked over my reciepts from a year ago, turns out i only did the tie rods on on passenger side. Just ordered the parts. Will replace sometime next week. Wish me luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts