Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, you can do it either way but I prefer removing them. It might add a little extra time, but I think it's easier to spray them while off and away from the truck. The lugs did not get any dip on them and if you did spray them on the truck, I think you could tape the lugs off.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't imagine the lugs would keep the dip anyways, the first time you try to tighten them or take the wheel off for whatever reason they're getting shredded, right?

·
Registered
2016 gmc canyon SLE extended cab v6 Eibach pro truck kit stage 1 zone 1.5 inch body lift
17 Posts
Has anyone plasti dipped their wheels? Pics?
There is a new company that makes a even better product then plasti dip that I will be doing my grille with called superwrap. Its a spray vinyl wrap In a can about the same price as plasti dip looks and last twice as long

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks, you can do it either way but I prefer removing them. It might add a little extra time, but I think it's easier to spray them while off and away from the truck. The lugs did not get any dip on them and if you did spray them on the truck, I think you could tape the lugs off.
Just don’t get any paint or dip on the lug seats on the rims.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Here's the brass monkey color. In the sunlight you can see a little metallic in the plasti dip that you don't really see in the photos.
tell us your process, how did you clean prior to spraying, how many coats? any clear over etc
any issues since and how long ws it done

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the wheel kit on dipyourcar.com which comes with a wipe down/cleaning product. First washed with soap and water then dried them really well. Then wiped with the provided pre dip cleaning product in the kit. First coat sprayed about 50% coverage, then a subsequent 3-4 wet even coats. The kit comes with 4 cans and it instructs you use them all. For me it was about 4-5 coats per wheel. It’s been going strong for 6 months and I just wash them with normal car soap.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Colorado Crew Card 4WD W/T
4 Posts
There is a new company that makes a even better product then plasti dip that I will be doing my grille with called superwrap. Its a spray vinyl wrap In a can about the same price as plasti dip looks and last twice as long
Some of the Amazon reviews on that stuff are pretty bad. Looks like it can do some paint damage so I would be careful and protect well from overspray.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
196 Posts
It's not on a Colorado, but I Plastidipped the wheels on my 4Runner a few years ago. I removed the wheels from my 4Runner, cleaned them thoroughly with soap and water, and then wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. We sprayed 4 coats (iirc) and then a light coat of a flat metallic paint just for character. I wheeled them pretty hard for about a year and then sold them to my neighbor who still has them on his Sequoia. They still look great. I will be doing the wheels on my Colorado soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts