Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about using plastidip to black out my bowties and maybe try it on my stock rims if or until I can afford new rims. Anyone done this? I use vinyl to black out the bowties on my Camaro and it came out really well, I put several decals on it and they all looked great when I traded it in for this truck. So I was planning on just using vinyl but I've always been curious about plastidip but wonder how durable it is?

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Took 10 minutes to tape the areas front and back.....then 5 coats, waiting 10-15 minutes between coats. Then added a few coats of clossifier. Thats 4 beers worth of waiting time in between.

Couldnt have been easier. :wink2:

PS.....currently have 14K miles, city and highway and not a single ding, chip or blemish on it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Plastidip holds up awesome if you prep and cure it properly! I've had black plastidip bowties on many trucks. Make sure you let it bake in the sun for a day before you wash it though. Really sets its up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Looks great. Are those stock rims also plastidiped or did your come black? That bumper looks pretty sick, how much did that set you back?
I bought of take offs from a member here. I then took those and had them powder coated ($550_ then sold the stock Z71 tires and rims I had on my truck.

As for the hood..... dont ask. LOL

But if you must - http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-2nd-gen-appearance-body/344970-zr2-hood-prices-part-numbers.html

Overall, the cost of the ZR2 hood + paint was around $1500, which I should recoup around $500ish when and if the stock hood sells. Might take me awhile but then....it only took about 5-6 months to sell the stock front bumper......sadly, had to wait until someone got hit for it to be a 'must have' item' 0:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I bought of take offs from a member here. I then took those and had them powder coated ($550_ then sold the stock Z71 tires and rims I had on my truck.

But if you must - http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-2nd-gen-appearance-body/344970-zr2-hood-prices-part-numbers.html

Overall, the cost of the ZR2 hood + paint was around $1500, which I should recoup around $500ish when and if the stock hood sells. Might take me awhile but then....it only took about 5-6 months to sell the stock front bumper......sadly, had to wait until someone got hit for it to be a 'must have' item' 0:)
Lol yeah I was afraid to ask. I know this stuff get addictive once you start modding and I'm not trying to get too crazy, yet... I like what you did with those stock rims and I may try to recreate that with plastidip.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Lol yeah I was afraid to ask. I know this stuff get addictive once you start modding and I'm not trying to get too crazy, yet... I like what you did with those stock rims and I may try to recreate that with plastidip.
Only reason I didnt plastic dip the rims was I wanted them shiny....the glossifier works decently with the plastic dip but it cant compare with clearcoat.
But definitely post some pix if you go that route.....would love to see them. :smile2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on how to plasti dip the front grille on a GMC Canyon? I'm wondering if there is a way to slide a piece of cardboard between the grille and the radiator to prevent plasti dip from getting onto the radiator. I am hoping to be able do this without having to remove the whole grille.

My local GMC dealership has a few GMC Sierra Rocky Ridge special edition trucks on their lot. One of them looks like a black label edition. I love the looks of the complete blacked out grille including the GMC emblem. I want to do the same to my Canyon.

https://www.rockyridgetrucks.com/blacklabel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I deleted my post accidentally. Shouldn't really need to put cardboard behind the grill, just mask off the emblem and a bit around it with newspaper and you will be just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts

Do you have a ballpark memory of how much the front bumper weighed? I know it'll be relative and very subjective - I'm just trying to get an idea. I've been eyeing the FabFour premium bumper and trying to factor in how much additional weight I'd be picking up after install.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Do you have a ballpark memory of how much the front bumper weighed? I know it'll be relative and very subjective - I'm just trying to get an idea. I've been eyeing the FabFour premium bumper and trying to factor in how much additional weight I'd be picking up after install.
Oh, I know exactly what it weighed. I was the 1st one here to get it and I did the complete write up on it :grin2:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-...8-fab-four-vengeance-bumper-installation.html

The weight of the existing fascia and bumper was not more than 10 pounds, while the new bumper weighed in at 65 pounds.
And yes, I had to go back and see what I wrote. :laugh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh, I know exactly what it weighed. I was the 1st one here to get it and I did the complete write up on it :
Just subscribed to that thread. Great write-up and thanks for all the photos.

I've been eyeing the full-bar premium bumper from Fab Fours due to the amount of daily wildlife I deal with. Based on what you said about the stock bumper, it sounds like I'd be cutting 150lbs from payload capacity by swapping. Will do some thinking on that. The Vengeance bumper is looking real sharp your Collie, btw. Enjoy. /derail

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Many thanks for the kind words. While it was a pricey addition, it was quite easy to do and I get looks and double takes all the time.....especially from fellow Colorado owners. :wink2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think I deleted my post accidentally. Shouldn't really need to put cardboard behind the grill, just mask off the emblem and a bit around it with newspaper and you will be just fine.
Thank you for sharing your photos and your tips. This helps me a lot. On my truck the three horizontal bars that are red on your truck are chrome on mine. I want those to be black on mine. I can try and tape around the emblem and the horizontal bars.

Reactions: Toughsox
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.