Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am now having this same problem with my 2006 Chevy 3.5L (114,700 mi) because I was told the intake manifold gaskets needed to be replaced. I removed the entire plastic intake manifold assembly, replaced the gaskets for it as well as for the valve cover, reassembled and getting a huge vacuum noise that is causing the truck to run rough idle, miss and make that "wheezing" vacuum noise.

Oh, I also replaced my vapor canister vent valve solenoid assembly at the rear of the truck.

I really don't want to have to tear down the truck again. I found a link at 355nation that has pictures of the plastic manifold being cut open and a rubber or plastic connection being repaired/replaced...

What's the groups opinion? Should I also replace the gaskets between the block and the metal exhaust intake on the passenger side? Or could it be that elbow piece inside the plastic manifold assembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am now having this same problem with my 2006 Chevy 3.5L (114,700 mi) because I was told the intake manifold gaskets needed to be replaced. I removed the entire plastic intake manifold assembly, replaced the gaskets for it as well as for the valve cover, reassembled and getting a huge vacuum noise that is causing the truck to run rough idle, miss and make that "wheezing" vacuum noise.

Oh, I also replaced my vapor canister vent valve solenoid assembly at the rear of the truck.

I really don't want to have to tear down the truck again. I found a link at 355nation that has pictures of the plastic manifold being cut open and a rubber or plastic connection being repaired/replaced...

What's the groups opinion? Should I also replace the gaskets between the block and the metal exhaust intake on the passenger side? Or could it be that elbow piece inside the plastic manifold assembly?
Make sure you didn't miss that vac hose under the intake tube on the manifold.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I believe that I would have spent a little money on a new intake manifold, being plastic and a known culprit, thus covering all bases at once. Once and done! You really do not have the equipment to test the manifold for a crack that could be very small. Easier to replace.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
back in the day we would spray starter fluid around the manifold gasket to see if it was leaking. You would know if/where the leak was due to the engine would speed up when the fluid was sucked in through the crack...would that not work now?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
You could also use a smoke machine for diagnosing the leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts