Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need opinions if its the right decision to buy an international version of Chevy Colorado LT 4x2 2.8 Duramax /6L50 transmission. I am an expat living overseas.

One thing I noticed is this version does not have any EPA/ emissions like the North American version.

They advertised the engine has 200 HP.

I was wondering if the spare parts are the same on the North American version? This are assembled in Thailand same as the Holden Colorado in Australia but are left hand drive.

Also since these are assembled in Asia, I am afraid that there are some "Made in China" OEM parts integrated into it like some Japanese brands Toyota, Nissan and Ford Rangers which are not reliable in Asia.

According to local user and shop mechanics the Toyota Hilux which are a terrorist preference of choice vehicle have a bouncy ride and Turbo problems and unreliable suspension.

Nissan Frontier have old engine and poor transmission reliability.

Ford Rangers are plague with torque converter problems. BTW all I am referring are all Diesel engines.

I wonder if the Colorado have the same problems as compared to other pickup trucks I have mention.

Any thoughts before I take the plunge.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I need opinions if its the right decision to buy an international version of Chevy Colorado LT 4x2 2.8 Duramax /6L50 transmission. I am an expat living overseas.

One thing I noticed is this version does not have any EPA/ emissions like the North American version.

They advertised the engine has 200 HP.

I was wondering if the spare parts are the same on the North American version? This are assembled in Thailand same as the Holden Colorado in Australia but are left hand drive.

Also since these are assembled in Asia, I am afraid that there are some "Made in China" OEM parts integrated into it like some Japanese brands Toyota, Nissan and Ford Rangers which are not reliable in Asia.

According to local user and shop mechanics the Toyota Hilux which are a terrorist preference of choice vehicle have a bouncy ride and Turbo problems and unreliable suspension.

Nissan Frontier have old engine and poor transmission reliability.

Ford Rangers are plague with torque converter problems. BTW all I am referring are all Diesel engines.

I wonder if the Colorado have the same problems as compared to other pickup trucks I have mention.

Any thoughts before I take the plunge.
Lookup an OEM Carparts website for your version or swing by the local dealership and have them print out part numbers on a few parts, compare a few of the main components parts numbers to North America and that should tell you..

When I was stationed in South Korea in the military, I had my Audi sent over there via the military and when I needed a part it was completely the same from the Korean Audi dealership.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since the truck is produced in Thailand, I would imagine that the truck would have a few foreign-made parts in it, but since it was engineered and designed by GM, a majority of the parts would most likely be the same. Definitely take Storx's advice and compare the parts to see if the North American GM parts are the same as the ones in Asia. The Colorado isn't perfect, and it has its share of problems, but compared to every other truck that you mentioned, it's far superior.

The truck would be very unique to drive here in the U.S., and if everything works out, I'd take the plunge! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I assume there are significant differences between the US and international vehicles. More than likely foreign vehicles will not pass US safety and emissions standards and may not be allowed in the country. Even if you had a waiver, I doubt that dealers would honor warranty issues and certain parts would be impossible to get.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some foreign vehicles are almost the same overseas, some are not. I will caveat this with I have not seen them side to side. However, from reading and looking, GM made a lot of changes bringing it to the states. The frame is not the same; that was one of the big upgrades, with the suspension, for the US market. The interior is not the same. The safety structure may not be the same (there are almost definitely some changes, how significant idk) although some cab components are shared. Point of manufacture on the trans may be different making it slightly different, but that part, along with the engine, are old designs and relatively a known entity.

Again though, you’d have to dig into it. Plus, I can’t tell you what changes that were made for the US market were then rolled into the international version, so they may be more similar now than initially.

I would look up some Australian forums and see what they say about the truck.

I assume you don’t plan to try to bring it back here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts