Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab - Sand Dune Metallic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Interested in getting Rago Fabrication’s shock skids for my ZR2. Unfortunately they only come in black so I was thinking of getting them powder-coated red to match the factory tow loops on the front bumper. Not sure if it will look good or gaudy. If anybody has done this, throw up some pics(from rear of truck if possible). Much appreciated. (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
How does powder coat stand up to skidding against rocks?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'd rattle can them to see how they look before I would spend the time and money to powder coat. It is an interesting idea since I have subtle red highlights along with the red tow hooks. Let us know how they look if you do it.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I also +1 the rattle can idea because cheaper and infinite touch ups if you actually use them

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab - Sand Dune Metallic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I guess I can always spray them myself. Though, not sure how that will withstand the elements overtime versus powdercoating. If they scrape, it will most likely be the underneath part which isnt visible anyway.
Why do they hang them so low on these trucks anyway? Is there a reason? Ride quality? Eventually, after my factory warranty runs dry, I will do the relocation kit. I think seeing them so low when you are behind the truck is the thing that bothers me most about the truck lol.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Hmm, I guess I can always spray them myself. Though, not sure how that will withstand the elements overtime versus powdercoating. If they scrape, it will most likely be the underneath part which isnt visible anyway.
Why do they hang them so low on these trucks anyway? Is there a reason? Ride quality? Eventually, after my factory warranty runs dry, I will do the relocation kit. I think seeing them so low when you are behind the truck is the thing that bothers me most about the truck lol.
While powder coating would withstanding scraping slightly better than spray paint, it would be much more expensive and time intensive to touch them up. If you spray paint them and they get scraped you can just recoat.

In my opinion, they hang about as low as full size trucks do in a similar orientation. Tacomas have nicely tucked up shocks and Jeeps have shocks that hang just as low, but are further outboard. Other than that, seems pretty standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts