Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone using for a phone holder in their Canyon/Colorado? I'm coming out of a Subaru Forester that had several options but I'm not seeing many useable devices that are practical. I did get a cup mount but the phone interferes with the shifter handle.

Thanks... a useful site so far!

Scott

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2.8L Duramax Diesel
13 Posts
Hey Scott,

I went with Ram Mounts X-Grip. First thing I tried was the adhesive backed ball mount. This did not work as I couldn't get a truly flat surface anywhere on the truck dash that I wanted to put it. It held up for a little while but came loose fairly quickly. I had also bought the U-bolt mounting system for handlebars or something similar, so I decided to see if it would fit through the vents. This worked! - however, it did require some modification. The u-bolt needed to be expanded to fit around both vent pillars. Once I did this (just pulled it apart with pliers) it fit no problem, and when it was snugged against the vent with the lock nuts, it stays in place great. The mount is sturdy and keeps the phone just where I want it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
489 Posts
Made mine from a broken old mount I had years ago. Just cut and polished some steel I had laying around. So far Offroad hasn't knocked the phone off. It is out of the way of most things. I can see the screen on the radio completely. I can face unlock my phone without moving. And the majority of the vent is not blocked so the heater can warm the steering wheel in winter and not torch the phone while it's on. Also doesn't vibrate like hell. I always find a way to bolt something to my vehicle. I got tired of suction cups falling off, or vent clips moving the vents from where I want, and I haven't had a cd playing for 3 vehicles now so that mount is out too.
Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive mirror
Wood Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
is there a good place to mount the phone?
cup holder will not work as wife and I both will be using them.
Vents block the heat or AC, dash blocks our vision an is annoying since in line of sight. I usually just put it in the cubby under the heated seat buttons, ot the bottle holder in the door

Reactions: Firehk

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado ZR2
179 Posts
I have the Vicseed phone holder. It is pretty stout and it fits in the bottom cubby if you stick the plate that comes with it on the back wall in between the outlets.

Full disclosure, this company contacted me and asked me to do a review on it, and sent it to me free of charge. I get nothing as I am not an affiliate so here is a link. Amazon. I have been running this for about 2 months and it is still holding up. Nothing has loosened up and we have had some weird temperature cycles here in GA. We will see how it does with the summer heat as that is the real test.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
235 Posts
I have a short 6" or so USB C cable with 90 degree elbows on both ends. My phone plugs into the USB port and sits in the cubby at the front of the center console, out of the way, while it drives Android Auto for navigation/music/phone. I'm pretty happy with that setup.

Reactions: Jwyner

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is the best I have found. This won't block your vents and is solid.
Direct Fit Magnetic Phone Mount - Chevrolet Colorado / GMC (Canyon 2015+)

Everything else out there blocks too much of the vent/info screen.
Wow! That's pretty much exactly what my home made one except I don't have a pivot. Mine is positioned for me. Looks like it would be bolted to either of the top infotainment screen bolts. Mine is sandwiched on the top left bolt under the trim.

That said that mount still blocks about a third of the vent like mine does unless you go landscape mode then it is barely over it. If you don't have random parts sitting around like me then I would second getting this one.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado RST, Short Box, 4x4, Black
13 Posts
Wow! That's pretty much exactly what my home made one except I don't have a pivot. Mine is positioned for me. Looks like it would be bolted to either of the top infotainment screen bolts. Mine is sandwiched on the top left bolt under the trim.

That said that mount still blocks about a third of the vent like mine does unless you go landscape mode then it is barely over it. If you don't have random parts sitting around like me then I would second getting this one.
I always put it landscape so nothing is blocked. Have my cable mounted so it’s right there for easy access and not dangling all over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use the weather tech Cup Phone with the Extension.It works great and it pretty much puts the phone where i can reach it when my arm is on the center console.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
I may go this route...I'd rather not block a vent - just something that bugs me. $$$ though, ouchie but USA made. I have the WT mats in the truck already and they are excellent .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the Vicseed phone holder. It is pretty stout and it fits in the bottom cubby if you stick the plate that comes with it on the back wall in between the outlets.

View attachment 407930

Full disclosure, this company contacted me and asked me to do a review on it, and sent it to me free of charge. I get nothing as I am not an affiliate so here is a link. Amazon. I have been running this for about 2 months and it is still holding up. Nothing has loosened up and we have had some weird temperature cycles here in GA. We will see how it does with the summer heat as that is the real test.
I have give this one a try. It also may be good in the boat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I always put it landscape so nothing is blocked. Have my cable mounted so it’s right there for easy access and not dangling all over.
I switch mine periodically. I use android auto so I have a cord from the cubby usb around to the left and tucked into the seam of knee panel to center console side panel and that shortened it to just the right length for either portrait or landscape pivot. Also gives just enough to grab it off and use it comfortably and slap it back on without a dangly cord all over the place.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts