Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, every once in awhile my 4 banger 07 Colorado wont start. I'll turn the key and it WILL turn over but wont start. I'll do this a few times with the same results. It turns over like it's not getting any gas. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then finally.....BOOM it starts up. I've tried to recognize some kind of pattern in which I end up getting the truck to start but can't seem to find one. It's not the battery, I have a new one. I'm thinking maybe some kind of relay or a strater problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Passlock system gets me all the time. You have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset. From the manual:

If the engine stalls and the security light flashes, wait
about 10 minutes until the light stops flashing before
trying to restart the engine. Remember to release

the key from START as soon as the engine starts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if it was passlock it disables the ignition it wont turn over at all. if it turns over but wont start could be the fuel pump. it could be bad, could be relay, or could be losing pressure which will lose prime next time turn key but dont start if your hear the fuel pump running everytime then it could just be going bad.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
if it was passlock it disables the ignition it wont turn over at all. if it turns over but wont start could be the fuel pump. it could be bad, could be relay, or could be losing pressure which will lose prime next time turn key but dont start if your hear the fuel pump running everytime then it could just be going bad.
Do you have experience in this?

Everything I have ever read on the two forums who has experienced this directly describe it as cranking but no start. I have not personally experienced this myself though.

The way to know for sure......the next time it happens to you OP, look for the passlock icon to be illuminated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It cranks, but will not start if passlock is activated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Probably the passlock. When it does it again, look to see if the passlock light is illuminated in your instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Old thread resurrected...OP experienced Passlock issue and hope they got it figured out by now...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same intermittent starting problem with an 2006 Canyon 4 cyl. The very first time it happened I called a mechanic friend and he said get in the fuse box and switch the fuel pump relay with another relay of the same size. I did that and voila the truck started right up. Since then it has happened 2 -3 more times and usually only once every few months. The last time it happened I switched the relays again and it did not start right up, but did start maybe after 10 minutes or so and seem to run fine. I have a plain jane truck and don't think it has any advanced security features. I have always thought the problem was somewhere in the fuel system...……...but where?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have had the same intermittent starting problem with an 2006 Canyon 4 cyl. The very first time it happened I called a mechanic friend and he said get in the fuse box and switch the fuel pump relay with another relay of the same size. I did that and voila the truck started right up. Since then it has happened 2 -3 more times and usually only once every few months. The last time it happened I switched the relays again and it did not start right up, but did start maybe after 10 minutes or so and seem to run fine. I have a plain jane truck and don't think it has any advanced security features. I have always thought the problem was somewhere in the fuel system...……...but where?
My guess is Passlock as well...common issue w/ 1st Gen trucks & you can Google f/ tons of info. Easiest/cheapest option is to do the "wire cut" & there's always the $pendy dealer fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts