Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I really wanted to get a hard tonneau cover plus rack combo for '15 GMC Canyon crew cab. After reading other comments here, I decided I really wanted the Peragon cover with the TracRac Sr sliding rack system. The problem was, TracRac (Thule) doesnt have a base for the shortbed Canyon crew cab, which is a bit odd, since it seems to be more popular than the longbed. I decided to go on my own a bit and order the base rail kit for the longbed Canyon/Colorado and modify it for my needs.

I ended up cutting the aluminum base rail down to 61" even with my miter saw. I have to give a plug for my upgraded Diablo/Freud blade, it made a perfect cut!

I then replicated the bolt holes at a distance of 55-3/16" from the front of the base rail. I'm not too happy with my drill job, from an asthetic perspective, but functionally, they worked great. It's okay that I didn't drill the holes cleanly, the caps cover up the carnage. :)

I shouldn't mention that the above measurements are from the aluminum end of the base rail, and don't include the plastic endcaps.

Feel free to message or reply if you'd like more details.

Jeff

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I really wanted to get a hard tonneau cover plus rack combo for '15 GMC Canyon crew cab. After reading other comments here, I decided I really wanted the Peragon cover with the TracRac Sr sliding rack system. The problem was, TracRac (Thule) doesnt have a base for the shortbed Canyon crew cab, which is a bit odd, since it seems to be more popular than the longbed. I decided to go on my own a bit and order the base rail kit for the longbed Canyon/Colorado and modify it for my needs.

I ended up cutting the aluminum base rail down to 61" even with my miter saw. I have to give a plug for my upgraded Diablo/Freud blade, it made a perfect cut!

I then replicated the bolt holes at a distance of 55-3/16" from the front of the base rail. I'm not too happy with my drill job, from an asthetic perspective, but functionally, they worked great. It's okay that I didn't drill the holes cleanly, the caps cover up the carnage. :)

I shouldn't mention that the above measurements are from the aluminum end of the base rail, and don't include the plastic endcaps.

Feel free to message or reply if you'd like more details.

Jeff

So, I should have commented on how happy I am with both products. I definitely took my time installing both, because being square and aligned are critical to smooth operation. They both work flawlessly. The cover and rack definitely live up to the expectations I had. The rack adjusts easily and is very solid. The cover is easy to operate and looks great. I'm very happy to be able to load my kayaks up on the rack and still be able to lock up gear inside the bed. I'll be a lot more comfortable stopping for a beer after a fishing trip. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.