Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Whats your favorite base setting?

• Total voters
1221 - 1240 of 1256 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for the long post, but a post like this was what I was looking for when trying to decide on one of these units, so hopefully it helps others.

Well you can move me from the "throttle controllers are just hype" camp to the "I gotta have one!" camp. After trying out a buddy's canyon with a PC, I decided to go for the Hypertech React for a few reasons - mostly because I like the looks better, it's easier to use on the fly, and it has a triple redundant system, so you never end up with a dead pedal (at least according to Hypertech). Got it at AutoAnything for $300 after chatting with them and asking for a deal (those guys are great). This is my first drive-by-wire vehicle, and I just couldn't get used to the pedal feel.

Mine is a 2018 V6.

After using it for a while, it just makes the truck seem so much smoother. A lot of the "clunkiness" of the transmission is gone when using it. Accelerate in the middle of a turn and there's no searching for gears like there was previously. And the downshift when braking up to a stoplight no longer feels like you just got rear-ended.

I got the "off-road" model (see Jprovence's post #1191 for pics). I don't know for sure but I get the feeling the curves are the same between all the models and just labeled differently - all models cost the same. In Street mode the truck feels like it should have from the factory. Mud/Sand seems to be the equivalent of Track on other models, and is definitely the get-up-and go mode - the mode that makes you say "Oh, that's where the 300 horses have been hiding".

In Economy mode it feels like you are driving a lousy turbo 4 cylinder - I say turbo because off the line it feels like a 4 cyl., but if you really put your foot in it, eventually more of the V6 power shows up. It doesn't hold the gears as long and upshifts and runs through the gears pretty quickly. And the folks who have said before that using Economy mode turned all the way down will make your teen never want to drive your truck again? They're right.

Also in Economy mode the DIC shows it switching to V4 instead of V6 a LOT more often. Before the React was installed I rarely saw V4 pop up on the DIC. And after a full tank of gas using it in Economy mode, my mileage increased to 19.5 - and that is all city/stop-and-go traffic, no hwy miles. Before, I couldn't even get that while hypermiling.

So I do now believe there is something to these. It was dead simple to install (seriously, like 5 minutes). And with this you can have one vehicle that can be your "puttering-around good mileage" truck AND your "DAMN, that's pretty fast" truck (seriously, with the 308hp V6, traction control off and Mud/Sand mode on I can break the tires loose - just a little, but still...)

Is it worth $300...depends...overall I do think these throttle controllers are worth it. I'm sure the cheaper versions can probably accomplish just about the same things. I do like the looks, functionality, and redundancy of the Hypertech - only downside is the controller itself feels a little bit cheap in hand. Once it's mounted though it's not an issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
love my PC. left it on even after getting a Trifecta tune. I drove my gf's '17 Malibu the other day and was quite annoyed with her pedal. there is such a huge difference i told her i was buying her one. i swear you have to push her pedal down 1/4 of the way before the damn car moves, sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
For a pedal boost without a tune, and reversible without a programming tool,
This is the way to go.
There are cheaper models that do the same thing,
But the quality built in to the PC is high.

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ran a couple of tanks in Eco mode, turned all the way down, and drove "economically". All in-town, stop and go miles, maybe a total of 5 hwy miles. Hand calculated mileage was 20.4. Not bad at all for the V6. Going to try Street mode +1 to see what I can manage with that.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I get 21 consistently city -2 ,CCLBZ71
I don't think sandbagging helps any.
Thanks for stepping up and doing the research.
I would like to know the setting that borders on uncontrollable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So been traveling and haven't managed a full tank in Street mode yet, but the ~1/2 tanks I have done were both about 18.3 around town, no highway miles - better than the 17 on the window sticker, way less than what I got in Economy mode.

On the road trips (hand calculated):
1st trip, Economy mode, ~850 miles in SW Colorado, over the mountains and the continental divide twice, got 25.46 mpg for the whole trip.

2nd trip, Economy mode, ~950 miles in Southern Colorado/Northern NM, plenty of mountain terrain, some around town driving in the middle of the trip, got 24.45 for the whole trip.

2 things seem to contribute to decreasing mileage: 1. Varying speed - first trip was a lot more cruise control and less passing on mountain roads, 2. Speed - seems like the point of diminishing returns is around 70 mph. Above that and the mileage suffers, although not as much if it is constant. DIC was showing 26.6 mpg until about the last ~100 miles @ 80-85 mph and too much traffic to keep the speed constant.

But I feel like getting roughly 25 mpg through the mountains, at altitude, in a truck, with a V6, is pretty good, and the throttle controller seems to be contributing to that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you're looking for a Pedal Commander, Midwest Aftermarket has a FANTASTIC forum discount. It was cheaper than some of the used ones on the "for sale" board.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
WOW! This thread has over 1K posts!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Where is the best spot to mount the unit?
That's the odd thing about PC, there isn't many flat spots to mount it. I let it drop between the tunnel and the high sided foot bucket.

·
Registered
389 Posts
299.99 is a good discount?

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon CC 4X4, 2020 Chevy Z71 CC 2WD
385 Posts
Hard to search 62 pages.... Anyone using the Hypertech Tow? Results? Any MPG improvement?

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
614 Posts
I know it's a on ferd efferfifter, but in this video they use robots to scientifically test and break down how a PC/throttle controller works.
EDIT: Notice the rusty ferd at 3:55 lolz
Hopefully it will help clear the air and debunk the naysayer speculations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed my Pedal Commander ion late July. Install was a snap! I have it mounted on the steering column just below the ridge - perfect location. I don't change the settings often (City +2) unless it has to go in for service, then I set it for Econ -2 just to keep the techs honest. The steering column location is not as obvious as it sounds, unless you're really looking for it. Needless to say, I truly love the change in pedal response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 Camaro SS and got a Vitesse Controller and I can tell you these work amazingly well. It made a big difference in the throttle response and with the 10 settings you can dial in your favorite setting (if you set it on the highest you can literally roast the tires even with all the nannies turned on). The Camaro also has some major power adders and is tuned so adding a controller is perfectly compatible. They make a version for the Colorado and is literally half the price of the Pedal Commander so I'm gonna pick one up and take the lag out of mine,

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,240
I still love my PC, it works great still and I found my happy spot at City -2 and I don't turn mine off when I go in for service.

1221 - 1240 of 1256 Posts