Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Whats your favorite base setting?

• Total voters
1201 - 1220 of 1256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I want to try one of these things so bad but I don't know if I am prepared to fork over $300 for one.
Don't. Its not worth $300. PC doesn't do anything your foot can't, it just does it a little more amplified, or more depending on what you like.

Just watch the forums here. They come up for sale. There might be one now. contact old posts, sometimes sales fall through.

Reactions: Struggleville

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't. Its not worth $300. PC doesn't do anything your foot can't, it just does it a little more amplified, or more depending on what you like.

Just watch the forums here. They come up for sale. There might be one now. contact old posts, sometimes sales fall through.

I mean that’s not entirely true. They can completely alter the range and feel of the pedal, not just mimic what your foot does. At least with my Hypertech, curve is completely programmable with a PC. I can turn it way down in crawl mode and have the entire physical range of pedal for very fine control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Having not used PC I really don't know what to think about it. But I've never driven a Colorado/Canyon V6 either. If the latter really does need the former, I'm glad I haven't driven one. :grin2: /ducks and runs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having not used PC I really don't know what to think about it. But I've never driven a Colorado/Canyon V6 either. If the latter really does need the former, I'm glad I haven't driven one. :grin2: /ducks and runs

They are quick! I’m glad I got the gas. I had a tuned Ecodiesel before this. It had a ton of lag until I tuned it. Yeah it’s get 24MPG with 35’s and AEV bumper and lift, but I’d never put up with that emissions complexity anymore. Gas is too simple.

All the throttle by wire vehicles have lag from the factory. Easy to fix with a little module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The pedal commander definitely helped my 4 cyl Colorado. The pedal became super responsive and it helped when needing to pass slowpokes on the freeway. Can't say how it works for V6ers but if you are in the 4 cyl, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, you're right. 100% throttle with the plug in toy is very different than 100%throttle without it.
Not sure where you would need 100% throttle, I find 3/4 throttle to me more than enough. Dont even need to use 100% throttle to reach the 98 MPH speed limiter. In traffic its hard enough to not run over the window lickers in front of me without making the throttle ultra sensitive. I guess if I lived where there was no traffic and I had trouble reaching the pedal I might entertain the thought of a PC, but lucky for me I can reach the pedal with no problems.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
For anyone choking on the $300 price tag, over in the Wrangler forum somebody dug up this $179 option that seems to do the same thing. Nobody there has tried it yet, though. It isn't as adjustable as the PC, but once I found the PC setting I liked, I haven't touched it so that may not matter much. https://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/en/throttle-controllers-chevrolet/2013-2019-chevrolet-colorado_111.htm
And if $179 is too much . . . there's one for $68.99 on good 'ol Ebay. ::chevy::
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-9H-Electronic-throttle-controller-Accelerator-Speed-for-Colorado-2007-2018/264259702554?epid=7020500741&hash=item3d871b0f1a:g:X6IAAOSwr69bPHgn

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I agree that for daily driving, 3/4 of the PC's range is unused.
Ad in the event things went severely wonky, could be dangerous.
Never heard of it happening. One thing I do like about the PC, is the overall quality of construction and materials.
Its a solid piece.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree that for daily driving, 3/4 of the PC's range is unused.
Ad in the event things went severely wonky, could be dangerous.
Never heard of it happening. One thing I do like about the PC, is the overall quality of construction and materials.
Its a solid piece.
Agreed, build quality and experience were main reasons I went with the PC rather than a cheaper no-name. Case in point, read the reviews on that ebay item -- pretty mixed, most people say it's too aggressive and jerky, something that isn't a problem with the PC. They have a very long history making these, originally starting with motorcycles, which had throttle-by-wire long before it came to cars. I was in one of the inevitable heated-argument threads about them on a sportbike forum probably 17 years ago and they were old news by then (but I was on the other side of the argument -- I don't see the point on a sportbike, none of them I've ever owned has exhibited lag to any degree, and you can twist that throttle pretty damned fast by hand).

My wife's after me to get one for her Jeep. I don't think she understands that the Wrangler 3.6 + trans/gearing + giant tires and five million pounds of bumpers and stereo equipment and winches and crap -- all stuff that she ABSOLUTELY NEEDED (lol) -- involves a tradeoff: driving a giant heavy slug of a vehicle for the next ten years. Probably especially jarring to her after ten years driving a little tuned turbo Solstice rocketship.

I'm hoping she'll forget she asked... >:)

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Agreed, build quality and experience were main reasons I went with the PC rather than a cheaper no-name. Case in point, read the reviews on that ebay item -- pretty mixed, most people say it's too aggressive and jerky, something that isn't a problem with the PC.

Well. . to be honest .. . there are only 6 reviews of the Ebay item, right? And all on different vehicles and engine sizes.
So there's that.
But .. . I'll let you know, because I just ordered one for our 2017 Sonic which could use a little snappier throttle response. I seem to be satisfied with the LGZ throttle response in my 2WD 2017 Colorado.
But, I like reviewing and trying out electronic gadgets.:cool:
It's only $70 . . . ::chevy::

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Heck, that's like another set of LED headlights pricing:grin2:
Except . . most of those got sent back after testing and trying others
Amazon return is great you know . . . >:)

·
Registered
987 Posts
And all on different vehicles and engine sizes.
Good point, I missed that part.

Definitely report back, if the cheapy works I'll blow $70 to prove to my wife the Wrangler is just a slug. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I don't trust anything cheap on my throttle, of all things.

Reactions: rmoore

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Definitely report back, if the cheapy works I'll blow $70 to prove to my wife the Wrangler is just a slug. :grin2:
But that's why I like the PC. When I put on larger tires and heavier wheels, I adjusted the throttle input for the same feel as the stock wheels.
But alas, the tuned Solstice feel is going to be a wee bit of a stretch to overcome, having had a tuned LNF.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I don't trust anything cheap on my throttle, of all things.
Better rip out those Chinese gas pedal connectors and parts in the ECM then . . .. :grin:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been running the ebay one for quite a while now; I think I posted about it in this thread many pages back.

It works exactly as expected. I can't imagine paying 300 extra for the others when this thing works great and is so much cheaper!

EDIT:
Here is my original review / post:
Being curious about these devices but not willing to drop $300+ on one, I ordered a similar but much cheaper (~$70) device from ebay a few weeks ago.. I've been driving around on it for a few days and it seems to work about the same as described for the 'real' one.

The one I ordered has an eco mode, normal mode, and three performance modes (seem to be similar to the city, sport, and sport+ described here), with each mode (eco,P1,P2,P3) adjustable in 9 steps.. ie P1.1 to P1.9

Its been pretty wet around the PNW lately, and I have found the P1.4 to be the sweet spot for reducing pedal lag / dead spot without making it too easy to spin the tires on wet pavement. I never thought the issue was bad enough to convince me to spend $300 to fix (I was even on the fence at 70), but I must say I find that I like the change and think it was money well spent!

On the issue of removing for dealer service, this particular unit's controller can be unplugged while leaving the device installed / functional.. the display is connected using an apple style lightning plug.

The item / seller I ordered from is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Electronic-Throttle-Controller-Pedal-Accelerator-5-MODE-Fuel-efficient/172621812065

..there are a number of similar units on ebay with green & blue led displays; I ordered the blue because I thought it would match the colorado's blue themed dash, but received a green display. I contacted the seller and they explained that the blue display is an older model not compatible with my vehicle (18 zr2) and offered to make it right if I was unhappy with the product.. I was happy with how it worked and opted to keep it, but I did appreciate the great customer service.

Anyway, I've attached a pic with the key fob for comparison.. I didn't mount it permanently, but did note that the double stick tape is not very sticky and will probably need replacing if mounted (I removed it from the unit). Instead, I just removed / unplugged display after settling on P1.4 for my daily driving, and keep the display (unplugged) in the center console.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the throttle controller.
While I'm buying it for a Sonic, I'll give my feedback when I receive it and get it plugged in .. . . probably in a month form China. . :cool:

How long did it take to get yours? ::chevy::

1201 - 1220 of 1256 Posts