Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick synopsis of what I?ve found. Maybe we can discuss this topic here in depth.

- About 8000 miles I found oily residue in my intake tube and turbo inlet. I purchased and installed a catch can (Mighty Mouse)
- 10,000 miles I did an S&B intake and saw oily residue after the catch can had been installed
- 12,000 miles I did afe intercooler tubes and the hot side was oily and the cold side was full of sludge and partially emulsified oil residue
- engine inlet/throttle body covered in oil
- catch can empty still

So, I emailed the catch can manufacturer because obviously it does nothing

But, the root problem is all of the oil blowing thru the pcv into the intake. Which will eventually leave me with an intercooler full of oil. (I?ve seen a vw turbo bug with a quart of oil drained out of the intercooler) all of this oily sludge is going into the intake and intake manifold. This is before the egr has a chance to dirty it up more.

I would disconnect the pcv from the intake tube and just run the catch can and vent the can, but there is a sensor on the pcv tube. Anybody know what that sensor does?

Any ideas you guys want to bounce around as to why this is happening or how to tackle this problem?

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
What year and which engine does your truck have?

Perhaps you should change back to stock and take it in to the dealer. Or have you done modifications in addition to the catch can that can be causing the problem?

Your description seems to imply you had an issue that you thought could be cured by a catch can but was not.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Quick synopsis of what I?ve found. Maybe we can discuss this topic here in depth.

I would disconnect the pcv from the intake tube and just run the catch can and vent the can, but there is a sensor on the pcv tube. Anybody know what that sensor does?

Tim
Are you referring to the one that plugs in at the base of the PCV hose where it plugs in by the turbo inlet? I think that is a heating element. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently found a crack in my cold side intercooler hose. I noticed it because of the oil being blown out of the crack onto the windshield washer bottle. When the dealer replaced the hose I had a chance to ask the tech

why there was oil in the hose. He told me that he had seen it before and had no Idea where it was coming from or why. I also had him check the oil level while the truck was there. It took almost a quart . It has been

2800 miles since the oil was changed. I wonder what effect this oil will have on the DPF over a long time. Chevrolet, why is this happening? If you are reading this a reply would be nice. I also own a 2014 Cruze diesel

and it has never used any oil.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I change my oil at 5,000 miles and have not observed the level dropping a measurable amount in that interval. The catch can on my truck catches a few ounces of oil and I drain the tube I have hooked up to it when I change the oil. I doubt the amount of oil in the PCV system is unusual, but it sucks for us diesel owners, as it combines with the EGR soot to make a mess. Gas powered engines with port injectors do not have any issues, the oil runs through and burns off without any issues as the port injectors clean the valves, and they do not have sooty EGR to contend with. The direct injection gas engines do have issues with coking on the valves due to the oil not being washed off by the fuel spray. We diesel owners are doubly cursed, as we have PCV oil mist, and EGR.

The thought I subscribe to is you eliminate one of the ingredients of the intake goo (oil or the EGR) and there is no big problem. EGR without oil will just create a dry black coating, but it won't build up. Oil without EGR will just burn off, but may coat the valves after a long time like it does in gas engines. My goal is to nuke this issue and eliminate both ingredients of intake goo by installing a good catch can from day 1, and adding the GDE tune (when it is available, reportedly soon), which shuts the EGR valve.

I love my truck - dunno if it will, but if it can last 500K miles, I will drive it that long - that mileage horizon would take me to the "take that old fart's license away nursing home stage of life". These relatively easy catch can and tuning mods should be helpful in that endeavor. Time will tell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What year and which engine does your truck have?

Perhaps you should change back to stock and take it in to the dealer. Or have you done modifications in addition to the catch can that can be causing the problem?

Your description seems to imply you had an issue that you thought could be cured by a catch can but was not.
2.8L duramax. What other diesel Colorado was offered? It?s a 2016 and it?s tuned among other things. Dealers are useless especially if there isn?t a code. Also, the truck was designed by GM this way so nothing is ?wrong?. Yes the issue is/was oil in the intake piping and yes,I was expecting a catch can to help this issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Tim
Are you referring to the one that plugs in at the base of the PCV hose where it plugs in by the turbo inlet? I think that is a heating element. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
Yes that?s the one.
If it?s a heating element is it also a sensor? (Like an o2 sensor has a heating element)
What are the consequences of unplugging the pcv hose from that and just catching the oil rather than letting it be sucked into the turbo inlet.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The catch can should help greatly, if it is working correctly. Lots of info on them in the prior threads linked to, guys have had good luck with the BMS and Provent cans. There is another one that looks completely bad ass and apparently works great, but I can't recall the name of it now. It is those threads somewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The catch can should help greatly, if it is working correctly. Lots of info on them in the prior threads linked to, guys have had good luck with the BMS and Provent cans. There is another one that looks completely bad ass and apparently works great, but I can't recall the name of it now. It is those threads somewhere.
Thanks. I should look into a better can. I spent a lot on mine, but The one I have isn?t doing squat. The guy who makes them keeps standing behind his product but I haven?t gotten more than a drop of oil out of that can while my turbo and charge pipes are coated in oil.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Do you idle the engine a great deal? How many miles on that engine. It almost sounds as if you have a turbo seal leak.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ah, found it. If buying a can today, and cost is no freaking object, this Racor CCV4500 in Papasmurf's truck is the baddest one on the planet, designed for big ass heavy equipment. It is complete overkill, and therefore cool as Hell. Here is a link to the can. It will also need nipples and a way to mount it.

Racor CCV 4500 -08 Series Ventilation Filter Assembly - Discount Racor

And here is board member Papasmurf1958, going completely nuts and putting something meant for heavy diesel equipment in his Colorado. Ya just gotta love that kind of enthusiasm :smile:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/226-diesel/285402-catch-can-dmax-12.html#post4197417

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ah, found it. If buying a can today, and cost is no freaking object, this Racor CCV4500 in Papasmurf's truck is the baddest one on the planet, designed for big ass heavy equipment. It is complete overkill, and therefore cool as Hell. Here is a link to the can. It will also need nipples and a way to mount it.

And here is board member Papasmurf1958, going completely nuts and putting something meant for heavy diesel equipment in his Colorado. Ya just gotta love that kind of enthusiasm :smile:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/226-diesel/285402-catch-can-dmax-12.html#post4197417
It's less than the mightymouse can costs, and you'd think by sheer volume alone it would have to work better. I think by the time you complete it, it would be about the same in cost.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's less than the mightymouse can costs, and you'd think by sheer volume alone it would have to work better. I think by the time you complete it, it would be about the same in cost.
Wow. I did not know the MM can is that expensive - if it does not work well, that sucks! The Raccor unit uses a Parker Hannifin element to coalesce the oil out of the air, and is no fooling around industrial grade gear, definitely not a "Mickey Mouse" situation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you idle the engine a great deal? How many miles on that engine. It almost sounds as if you have a turbo seal leak.
No, it?s oil vapor coming from the pcv.

And here is board member Papasmurf1958, going completely nuts and putting something meant for heavy diesel equipment in his Colorado. Ya just gotta love that kind of enthusiasm

That Racor can is freakin sweet. May grab one of those! Right now, The owner of Mighty Mouse is awesome at communication and he has a few options that we may try first. The Mighty Mouse has a vent/filter on the top of it and it always chugging out smoke, I may just go to a full on vent system rather than pumping it into the intake in front of the turbo.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I was checking my Provent and observed something I had not noticed before. With the engine idling, I pulled the dirty side hose (connected to the valve cover) where it connects to the Provent and checked the suction through the Provent at the dirty air inlet nipple, it was normal. I figured I would do this as it's element is really wet now and what the Hell, I was bored. The suction is the same as always, not real strong, but about the same as if no catch can was installed. With a turbo we are not going to have a lot of suction.

The discovery was on the valve cover hose. I put my palm on it and felt a slight pressure. Held my palm on it for a few seconds and the pressure built pretty rapidly, releasing a decent gush of air when I took my hand off. Seems our PCV system is a slight pull, strong push situation.

One thing I really like about the Provent - it has a pressure relief valve in it's cap. It a Provent pressurizes due to a clogged, frozen or otherwise obstructed element, a spring loaded disc in the cap releases the pressure. This is a good safety feature, as too much pressure in the crankcase can potentially cause the main seal to leak or even get pushed out. Anyway, I found all of this kind of interesting!

Finally, I believe our diesel engines are not really a "PCV" but are actually a "CCV" (closed crankcase ventilation) system. Suction does not drive the air flow, pressure does.

Reactions: Brake

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was checking my Provent and observed something I had not noticed before. With the engine idling, I pulled the dirty side hose (connected to the valve cover) where it connects to the Provent and checked the suction through the Provent at the dirty air inlet nipple, it was normal. I figured I would do this as it's element is really wet now and what the Hell, I was bored. The suction is the same as always, not real strong, but about the same as if no catch can was installed. With a turbo we are not going to have a lot of suction.

The discovery was on the valve cover hose. I put my palm on it and felt a slight pressure. Held my palm on it for a few seconds and the pressure built pretty rapidly, releasing a decent gush of air when I took my hand off. Seems our PCV system is a slight pull, strong push situation.

One thing I really like about the Provent - it has a pressure relief valve in it's cap. It a Provent pressurizes due to a clogged, frozen or otherwise obstructed element, a spring loaded disc in the cap releases the pressure. This is a good safety feature, as too much pressure in the crankcase can potentially cause the main seal to leak or even get pushed out. Anyway, I found all of this kind of interesting!

Finally, I believe our diesel engines are not really a "PCV" but are actually a "CCV" (closed crankcase ventilation) system. Suction does not drive the air flow, pressure does.
Good info there, thanks.

At idle we don?t have much suction on that hose, but swap to an S&B intake and you?ll hear how much suction we get under load. Crazy suction. But I bet the pressure increases as well so maybe it?s proportional.

The Mighty Mouse can I?m running has a breather element on the top with a little flap valve. When there is suction on the can the flap closes but at idle or when pressure is stronger than suction the can vents to atmosphere. At idle it?s chugging smoke out all the time.

I wonder if the dexos2 oil has high Voc, just reminding myself I need to look into that.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You mentioned just venting the valve cover hose to the atmosphere. While researching my diesel purchase, I read a bunch of stuff over on the "Lost Jeeps" forum. The guys with the older CRD diesels (our truck's predecessor) often did what they called "the elephant hose mod" where they ran the valve cover hose to atmosphere with a filter, and blocked off the suction side. The problem they found with doing this is the smell. The blow by venting to the atmosphere is significant, and smelly. Parked with the engine running, their CRDs smelled like an oil refinery - not pleasant.

Back in those simpler times, they used to pull their MAF wire, which would leave the EGR closed and trigger a CEL, which they either just drove around with, or got it to go away using a properly specified resistor.. We can't do that, as we have a DEF system that will detect the extra NOx and, aside from the CEL, it would probably give a message and go into limp mode too. The only way to turn off the EGR is a full delete tune (I don't want to do all that) or the hopefully shortly upcoming GDE tune, which will turn off both EGR and the DEF system. I figure no EGR and a good catch can will help it stay clean inside. Looked in my intake, saw all that black soot (at least it was dry) and hated it. The forthcoming GDE tune is a "take my money" purchase for me...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Yep, got one of those bad boys on my truck...

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.