Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Payload help quick!

9K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  Hunter62 
#1 ·
I have to haul 900 pounds of porcelain tile for three and half hours over North Carolinas crappy highways tomorrow. The door sticker says the max capacity is 1270 pounds of people and cargo. Two humans and two pups 350 pounds. 50 pounds misc truck gear. 900 pounds of tile. 1300 pounds. Has anyone knowingly hauled 900+ pounds of tile in the bed? Other option is to trailer all or party of it. No suspension on the trailer. Don't want to get home with boxes of tile crumbs. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Are you good at crash diets?

I would probably just do it. Thirty pounds would not bother me, as long as you can distribute the weight in the bed properly.

Understand, I am the guy who hauled 1600 pounds of shingles in a GMC Safari minivan...so you may want to hear other opinions.

#5 ·
I've done 1000 lbs of flooring with a single driver and a empty cab. Definitely wasn't fun on bumps, and you'll have to go slower. Make sure the load is centered when they fork it into the bed, and tie it down really good. I find tile is usually packed pretty good and they don't rattle, just be careful if you have any partial boxes.

#6 ·
This isn't a problem.
But do watch your Trans temp and use Tow Haul Mode most of the time.

Reactions: American Truck
#7 ·
Need to understand that 1,270LB is for the whole truck and not just on the rear axle. Being "only" 30LB over GVWR tells you nothing about how much you're over the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and that is where your problem would happen, especially on bad roads. If you end up constantly bottoming out or slamming the rear axle into the bump stops because you're way over RAWR then you risk bending the frame or the rear axle itself.

So, be careful.

Reactions: Iamscotticus
#11 ·
Need to understand that 1,270LB is for the whole truck and not just on the rear axle. Being "only" 30LB over GVWR tells you nothing about how much you're over the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and that is where your problem would happen, especially on bad roads. If you end up constantly bottoming out or slamming the rear axle into the bump stops because you're way over RAWR then you risk bending the frame or the rear axle itself.
This is only a response to the first sentence, I agree with the rest. Do you think that 900 pounds in the bed is all that different than 700 pounds of tongue weight 12" past the end of the bed?

#8 ·
Measure your truck from the ground to the bottom of the rear wheel house openings. Load in the tile and drive around town for a few miles and remeasure. This will tell you how the truck handles the load both in terms of acceleration/deceleration (aka braking) and how much the springs are compressed (remeasure the wheelhouses again). Then make your decision. Worst case, U-Haul. ;)

#10 ·
Sure, just strap some tile to the hood, right? [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Now that is pushing it.
Are you sure of those numbers? Or was this your 1 ton dually?
Wow. There must have been an error in the calculation of that weight.

#16 ·
The forums need a laughing reaction instead of just like. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TBIZ4
#21 ·
Was the pavers stacked in the front of the bed ?
Center or in back is hard to believe, with all stock springs, no airbags, etc.

I have had trucks, i kept loading up and watching how it sits, till I stop.
But not on p rated tires.

Who needs a level kit, just use the bed :)

#23 ·
When I was looking at a travel trailer last weekend, several had built in hitch haulers on the rear bumper, I suggested that might work for the one of my son-in-laws, but my preference was to hook him up to the built in leash loop on the rear of the trailer and just drag him along. (No one in the family with me at the time seemed to think that was a bad idea.)

#25 ·
Just to close this thread out... I did make the trip. I took the trailer as the tile company said it was on a pallet and wouldn't be responsible if the guy who was working at Bojangles last week and is now driving a forklift hit my truck. True story. 360 miles round trip. Half with empty trailer 1100 pounds. Half with pallet, 780 pounds of tile in the bed, 120 pounds of loose tile in the bed, and again 1100 pound trailer. Both ways the loading ramp on the trailer was up acting like a sail brake. Truck did great on her first towing trip. Put in tow mode and couldn't tell it was back there. WAY better than the 2019 tacoma. Don't miss that pos. Went from averaging 18.5 mpg to 15.1 for the trip.

#29 ·
Hey lehman. Near Greenville. The drive was straight up and down 17 and 13 between Washington nc and fort Monroe va. Triad is pretty good except for South East side between 40 and 264. Are they ever going to finish that our just make it a permanent parking garage for dot heavy equipment? Lol.

#30 ·
I hauled 1300 pounds of gravel plus 400 pounds of people with zero problem. You can feel the weight but other than bottoming on bad bumps it just isn't a big deal. Just don't over drive the ability of the steering and braking. I certainly did not try to do the 70 mph Texas limit on back roads with it.

#33 ·
Hi All...The general info on this question certainly indicates FAR more knowledge regarding payload than I can even pretend to know.

I have a 2018 CCSB 4x4 gasser and need to get some firewood for the winter.

One of the places offers to fill the 5' bed with 16" pieces of hardwood (random not stacked) even with the top of the sides (not piled) for $100 CAD.
It isn't a bad price for the wood around here, but does anyone have any ballpark idea of how much this might weigh, and if I can travel approx
40 miles back home with it? I think that the truck could handle it without a problem, but would like to get some other insight on this as well. Comments appreciated!
Thanks.

#34 ·
Hi All...The general info on this question certainly indicates FAR more knowledge regarding payload than I can even pretend to know.

I have a 2018 CCSB 4x4 gasser and need to get some firewood for the winter.
I'm not sure trim level doesn't affect payload, and we don't know how many people you're going to have with you, but I really doubt that's a problem. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to worry about that.

#38 ·
Just came across the following post. That makes 2,600LB in the bed either a math failure or gross exaggeration as I suspected.

#43 ·
You really are kind of a snarky d****.

I never advocated for anyone to do that or mentioned that I had made multiple trips with that weight.

You just keep rambling on about already known mechanical factors and limitations as if you are contributing some new knowledge.

You're more than welcome to come look at my walkway and see the stones. We can count them together!!!

You can also speak to my wife or father-in-law who were present during it being loaded. Would having them swear on Bibles or sign affidavits appease you?

#44 ·
Looking for some help/understanding -- I am completely incompetent when it comes to automobiles and my 2017 Ext. Cab Long Bed ZR2 Duramax is the first truck I've ever had. From what I can see in my door, my payload capacity is 1188lb. My truck was completely bone stock besides a bed cover.

I drove from Seattle over the Cascades (Stevens Pass) on a 4 hour trip to hunting camp. 10 miles of which was over moderately bumpy/washed-out single-track dirt roads. I had a DiamondBack SE Cover (~100lb) and CrossBin (45lb + 50lb gear in it), and the entire rest of the bed was jam packed with well seasoned western red cedar wood (~23.5lb per cubic foot, for the sake of argument lets say 30 cubic feet was wood, so 705lb). So far we're at ~900lb.

Driver 165lb, cab loaded with at least another 100lb of gear, and fully loaded 75 qt cooler on top (guessing this is at least another 75-100lb), for an additional 340lb.

900+340lb=1240lb...or ~50lb over capacity. The entire way to camp I did not notice the weight in the least bit or notice any sag, and I actually pulled slightly better (like .2) MPG's than I normally would on my way over to camp with a light load (I make this trip frequently), and I did not notice the truck running hotter or at higher RPM's than normal. This was with a completely stock suspension/wheel/tire setup, I now have heavier wheels and tires (~7# per corner, they also run a few PSI higher than stock tires) and a 589 fab 1.5" front level w/included bump stops installed.

What damage do I risk doing to my truck by repeating this feat every year? If 50lb over isn't any issue, at what level of excess does it become an issue? What is really happening mechanically when you go over the sticker payload? Is there a margin of error or safety factor built into these payload weights? Does my new wheel/tire setup or front level impact this in some way?

I read earlier in this thread that you can look at your leafs to see them flattening out under load which I wasn't aware of. Is this a good indicator for when you're at the point of "too much"?

Thanks in advance for any insight, just looking to learn.

#51 ·
What damage do I risk doing to my truck by repeating this feat every year? If 50lb over isn't any issue, at what level of excess does it become an issue? What is really happening mechanically when you go over the sticker payload? Is there a margin of error or safety factor built into these payload weights? Does my new wheel/tire setup or front level impact this in some way?

I read earlier in this thread that you can look at your leafs to see them flattening out under load which I wasn't aware of. Is this a good indicator for when you're at the point of "too much"
You will be just fine, as you had some weight in the cab along with in the bed. The worse thing I see is those who have everything near the tail gate.
my question is did you get anything on your hunting trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.