Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
373 Posts
Was the pavers stacked in the front of the bed ?
Center or in back is hard to believe, with all stock springs, no airbags, etc.

I have had trucks, i kept loading up and watching how it sits, till I stop.
But not on p rated tires.

Who needs a level kit, just use the bed :)

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
It will handle it.. I had to travel several times with my mother-in-law.. but it did create a lot of noise
When I was looking at a travel trailer last weekend, several had built in hitch haulers on the rear bumper, I suggested that might work for the one of my son-in-laws, but my preference was to hook him up to the built in leash loop on the rear of the trailer and just drag him along. (No one in the family with me at the time seemed to think that was a bad idea.)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
When I was looking at a travel trailer last weekend, several had built in hitch haulers on the rear bumper, I suggested that might work for the one of my son-in-laws, but my preference was to hook him up to the built in leash loop on the rear of the trailer and just drag him along. (No one in the family with me at the time seemed to think that was a bad idea.)

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just to close this thread out... I did make the trip. I took the trailer as the tile company said it was on a pallet and wouldn't be responsible if the guy who was working at Bojangles last week and is now driving a forklift hit my truck. True story. 360 miles round trip. Half with empty trailer 1100 pounds. Half with pallet, 780 pounds of tile in the bed, 120 pounds of loose tile in the bed, and again 1100 pound trailer. Both ways the loading ramp on the trailer was up acting like a sail brake. Truck did great on her first towing trip. Put in tow mode and couldn't tell it was back there. WAY better than the 2019 tacoma. Don't miss that pos. Went from averaging 18.5 mpg to 15.1 for the trip.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No way to edit a post on this forum???? 780 pounds on the trailer. Right at 2000 pounds on towed. 520 pounds dry weight in the truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to haul 900 pounds of porcelain tile for three and half hours over North Carolinas crappy highways tomorrow. The door sticker says the max capacity is 1270 pounds of people and cargo. Two humans and two pups 350 pounds. 50 pounds misc truck gear. 900 pounds of tile. 1300 pounds. Has anyone knowingly hauled 900+ pounds of tile in the bed? Other option is to trailer all or party of it. No suspension on the trailer. Don't want to get home with boxes of tile crumbs. Thoughts?
Not sure where you live, but in the Triad area of NC, the roads are much better than all of the surrounding states, IMO..... however, sorry this doesn’t answer your actual question.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey lehman. Near Greenville. The drive was straight up and down 17 and 13 between Washington nc and fort Monroe va. Triad is pretty good except for South East side between 40 and 264. Are they ever going to finish that our just make it a permanent parking garage for dot heavy equipment? Lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hauled 1300 pounds of gravel plus 400 pounds of people with zero problem. You can feel the weight but other than bottoming on bad bumps it just isn't a big deal. Just don't over drive the ability of the steering and braking. I certainly did not try to do the 70 mph Texas limit on back roads with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And it bottomed out on the bump stops. Guaranteed. May not have felt like it, but it did. I’ve done it with less weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I loaded the truck, I was then under the truck. It was 100% not bottomed out because I was scared it was going to and wouldn't make the ride back without destroying my suspension.

I've built and overhauled cars for the last 15 years as a hobby, I am not some schmuck that doesn't know what to look for. Was it risky and inadvisable? Absolutely.

Was the pavers stacked in the front of the bed ?
Center or in back is hard to believe, with all stock springs, no airbags, etc.

I have had trucks, i kept loading up and watching how it sits, till I stop.
But not on p rated tires.

Who needs a level kit, just use the bed :)
The pavers took up the entire bed. 300+ pavers are not fitting in the front of the bed, lol. It isn't a box truck.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I loaded the truck, I was then under the truck. It was 100% not bottomed out because I was scared it was going to and wouldn't make the ride back without destroying my suspension.

I've built and overhauled cars for the last 15 years as a hobby, I am not some schmuck that doesn't know what to look for. Was it risky and inadvisable? Absolutely.

The pavers took up the entire bed. 300+ pavers are not fitting in the front of the bed, lol. It isn't a box truck.
I wasn’t talking about just sitting there, I was talking about going down the road. The bump stops are there to help soften the blow when the suspension bottoms out, the suspension moves when you’re driving and I can tell just by looking at my frame if the bump stops have made contact. A little clearance when static doesn’t mean you’re good to go or the suspension isn’t going to bottom out.

There have been posts here about bent axles and frames from less. Consider yourself lucky if no damage was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi All...The general info on this question certainly indicates FAR more knowledge regarding payload than I can even pretend to know.

I have a 2018 CCSB 4x4 gasser and need to get some firewood for the winter.

One of the places offers to fill the 5' bed with 16" pieces of hardwood (random not stacked) even with the top of the sides (not piled) for $100 CAD.
It isn't a bad price for the wood around here, but does anyone have any ballpark idea of how much this might weigh, and if I can travel approx
40 miles back home with it? I think that the truck could handle it without a problem, but would like to get some other insight on this as well. Comments appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Hi All...The general info on this question certainly indicates FAR more knowledge regarding payload than I can even pretend to know.

I'm not sure trim level doesn't affect payload, and we don't know how many people you're going to have with you, but I really doubt that's a problem. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to worry about that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
5' x 5' x 2' random firewood is 1/4 of a cord or 1000 pounds. If it worries you, drive slow and avoid potholes.

·
Registered
891 Posts

One of the places offers to fill the 5' bed with 16" pieces of hardwood (random not stacked) even with the top of the sides (not piled) for $100 CAD.
It isn't a bad price for the wood around here, but does anyone have any ballpark idea of how much this might weigh, and if I can travel approx
40 miles back home with it? I think that the truck could handle it without a problem, but would like to get some other insight on this as well. Comments appreciated!
Thanks.
Firewood, neatly stacked just past the bed sides in a 6' bed, travelled highway for an hour, so around 100 km... barely knew / felt the truck was loaded. Had a net over it all just to make sure nothing flew off.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Just came across the following post. That makes 2,600LB in the bed either a math failure or gross exaggeration as I suspected.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I graduated from Mississippi State.
Sorry you couldnt afford ole miss and lsu wouldn't let you in. Don't blame you on skipping Bama though. Lol. I am soooo ready for college ball. Nothing better in the deep South. God, country, and football. Not necessarily in that order. Geaux Tigers.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts